Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didnt disappear..

Hello all......
    I haven't been around too much this past few days because I just put on the Patch to quit smoking.....
    I find the Phone and computer a trigger for me to want a cigarette !
    I have already crocheted a afghan in just 3 days.....It does help the urge.....
    I have been smoking Far to long.... and smoke almost 3 pack's a day.....
    So I jut want all there to know I will be peeking in and maybe responding to Some post's if I can.... But Just typing this has me looking already at the empty ashtray......
    Love you all.... Just want you to know I didn't disappear.... Just have to get past the cigarette and computer connection ........

Re: I didnt disappear..

Ah, Johanna, I wondered where you were!!! I quit smoking 4 years ago after smoking nearly all my adult life. It was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done, so I know you are going through some tough times right now. I promise you it will get easier, but I can't promise you that you will never want another cigarette....sometimes I still get an urge....but it will be easier to fight it. I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

Love and hugs, Teresa

Comment

Hi Johanna,
      My husband had used Chantix( prescription of course) It helped with the withdrawal symptoms I used say i will go buy you a pack I cant stand it anymore Crabby wasn't the work. Chantix does help Now you also have to want to quit as well. If u have prescription coverage you may want to try it.
      Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

I had a mini stroke last August..... In the hospital they put the patch on me....
        When I got home i bought more patches and was doing good......
        Then my doctor put me on Chantix.... I became a raving mad woman ....
        I was so mean!!!!!!!! That wasn't me..... It was so bad I didn't want to be around my self!...... I had to stop the pill after 2 weeks..... after looking it up on line and any side affects.... I was shocked to find out how this pill can affect some people.... and it seams as though those side affects dont go away !!!!! For some people this drug works great.... My son quit on it with just the remainder of my prescription...
        Of coarse I went back to smoking,,,, And for the past few days I have tried to do it alone with nothing. but all i did was cut the amount I smoked in half...But this morning is when I put on the Patch !!!!
        In my head .... once the patch goes on.... that it ! I cant smoke.....
        So for now Ill do what ever I have to do to quit.....
        Thanks for the support.... this is a Nasty addiction.....

Comment

Hi Johanna,

I feel for you. My husband and me were both smokers. We both decided to quit - got the chantix. He started his first - he smoked a lot more than me - at first he was fine with the pill but then he started to have crazy dreams and his stomach got really messed up. He stopped the pill after being on it a month and a half. Even without the pill he still isn't smoking - it's 4 months now that he hasn't smoked. Now I'm another story - I only smoked about a half a pack a day. I never took the pill and have no desire to take it - but have cut down to 4 cigarettes a day. We haven't smoked in our house in years - have to go outside whenever I do want one. Don't know when I'll quit. I have tried a few times over the years to quit cold turkey but it has never worked for me. I did quit each time I became pregnant but I always started up again after I had the babies. How stupid is that? Good luck with the no smoking.
          Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Lynn....
            If you can go all day with 4 cigarettes....Then your almost there......
            Im trying.... I want one right now SOOOOOOOO bad !!!!!!

Comment

Hi Johanna,
              Just wanted to wish you well with the no smoking!!! I tried Chantix too but it made me feel like I was going to vomit all the time and like I was in outer space. The last day I took it I was in a meeting with my boss and asked him to pardon me if I vomited all over him!
              Plus, the taste in my mouth was like sucking up car exhaust! Not that I ever tried sucking up car exhaust...but I can imagine that is what it would taste like!
              Sending you lots of calm peaceful un-craving wishes...Beth, Scooter and Bailey

Comment

Right now sucking up car exhaust sounds kinda good !!!!!!!
                I cant believe the physical with drawl I'm now feeling.....
                I want to have a cigarette just to make it go away.....
                My ears are all stuffed up....and I feel like complete crap!!!!!!
                I WANT TO SMOKE>>>> RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!
                But Ill get off the computer and go back to crocheting.... ( that helps!)
                Thank for all your support....
                The fact that a lot of you did it... and lived to tell about it....
                I guess i can do it to .....
                Plus now that I told you all what Im doing.... I have to quit.....
                I cant report back here that I'm smoking again.... What a failure that would make me....I don't want to where the big L on my forehead !!!!
                Last edited by johanna; 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Just checking in to see how you are doing???
                  And please, STEP AWAY from the car!!!!!
                  Lots of hugs, Beth, Scooter and Bailey

Comment

Hi Johanna,

I am from the CC site. I really feel for what you are going through. I began smoking at about age 18, did it as a bet that I could do it for a year and quit, guess what?

That was 1976, in 1990 I was overweight and could'nt be active without being short of breath and decided I needed to stop. What I used was a product called 'Lifesign' I just checked you can still get it and it worked well for me.

It is not a chemical, or hypnosis, or anything like that. It is a handheld device that you program for two weeks, everytime you light up you press a button and it learns about your habit. On day 15 when you turn it on it tells you when to smoke, you have built a custome detox program over the past two weeks. It gives you enough of the additctive stuff that your mind can deal with the withdrawl. If you cant wait until it tells you to 'moke again you cheat and push a button that lets it know you cheated and it adjusts the program.

It worked for me. About a week into withdrawl I was cheating a lot and at one point I just came to the conclusion that I was going to quit or not and at that point I made the decision to quit. I don't think I would have done it otherwise.

I will be 50 this year and have been quit now since 1990. Again, its called 'Lifesign', just google it and you will find it easily.

Hope you find the right method for you. Scott

Comment

Hi there thank for that info......
                      its funny when I it here to answer i right away get antsy for a cigarette....
                      But earlier i did sign on to a quit smoking forum.....
                      Just hearing those people really did help... and I didn't look to smoke....
                      But the minute I got here i did... Its a brain thing... Have to break the pattern...
                      Lifesign..I will look that up... sounds good... Ill Google it.
                      I'm going through HEAVY with drawl to night... My chest is tight ... my ears are all stuffed up and I'm very disoriented at times.... What the heck is in these things ? I feel like a drug addict with these feelings........
                      Thanks for your support.....

Comment

Hi Johanna,

Sorry your having a rough time with it. A couple of weeks after my husband quit he told me that he didn't understand why people say they feel so much better when they quit smoking - he just always felt lousy - but now that has passed - I guess it takes awhile for all the withdraw symptoms to pass.

As for me you would think I could give up those last 4 cigarettes but I can't. When I decided to quit I was going to use the chantix - even had the prescription filled but after I saw how my husband was reacting to the drug I decided to do it on my own. Since I was smoking around 10 cigs a day I decided to cut out 1 each week - well I got it down to 4 and I'm stuck there. Have to say every now and then I have 5 or 6 but more often it's 4 a day. They say you have to really want to quit so I guess I really don't want to.

Scott - thanks for that info - I'm going to look into it. How long did it to take for you to quit?
                        Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hi Johanna,
                          Congratulations on getting this far!!
                          My husband tried several times over a period of 10 years to quit smoking and each time he would start back up. He would vomit with the stress of quitting. The last time he tried it, he was so grouchy after a month that I said I was going to go out and buy him some more!! He said...in a very snarky voice...
                          "Thanks for your support" and never started up smoking again!! (He's very competitive and I know he just wanted to show me that he could do it.) That was 15 years ago.
                          You'll do it too!!
                          Take care,
                          Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

Originally posted by ladysmom06 View Post
                            Hi Johanna,

Scott - thanks for that info - I'm going to look into it. How long did it to take for you to quit?

Two weeks Lynne, after the handheld thing told me I had smoked my last cigarette I have not had another.

Check it out, it is a good program.

Best to you all, it is a very hard habit to leave behind. Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X