Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harley's journey...

This is what I found from Patty;

This recipe was from a trained Classical homeopath. My vet back home and one here also approved it.

If using it during an acute episode I would have a vet look to be sure the ear drum is intact. Ali was in immense pain when we arrived here so I took her to the vet, who confirmed yeast was the cause of her infection (it's always wise to have a culture done to be sure). We used 3 drops of Panalog ointment initially for 7 days to reduce the swelling and itchiness. This does have a steroid component but I know with Ali, I had to address the acute pain/swelling before I could really get to the heart of the issue. After that we started the solution.

I now use this as preventative once a week or once every 2 weeks. I apply about 1/2 to 3/4 of a dropper-full to each ear, put a cotton ball in and massage 40 times. Then let her shake it out and wipe with the wet cotton ball.

Here's the recipe: 1 oz = 2 T
    1 oz aloe vera juice
    1 oz water
    1 oz witch hazel (mine had 14% alcohol)
    2 drops therapeutic grade lavender oil
    1 drop organic raw apple cider vinegar (I don't shake it though so I don't get particles from the "mother" in my solution)
    Mix together and store in glass dropper bottle. Mine keeps in the cupboard for about 3 months. Be sure to shake before each use.

The solution is supposed to be "pretty benign and close to the body's own fluid with just enough of an edge to rid the yeast."

The therapeutic grade lavender oil is important. Therapeutic grade oils will state for internal or topical use. Cosmetic grade oils will state for external use only and could burn the ear. My lavender oil is made by Wyndmere. It says for external use only but on this page states they are therapeutic grade: http://wyndmerenaturals.com/store/pages.php?pageid=8

When I first went hunting for the ingredients it was the lavendar oil ($16) and aloe vera juice (they only had a large bottle) that were a bit pricey but they really last forever and it's been well worth it for us. I found the 100% aloe vera juice, ACV, and a glass dropper bottle at a health food store in town. The witch hazel I think I got at Walmart or Walgreens. And I use the filtered water from my PUR faucet.

We've been using this recipe for almost 2 years. I also keep Ali's ear hair trimmed back so air can flow freely to the ear canal.
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I love Zymox for the ears. It can be used intensively (once daily) for an infection or periodically for maintenance. I have only had to use the non steroidal one which you can get OTC if your vet carries it or you can order online.
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Yep, I love that recipe. I make up a new batch every 3 months or so.
        Food allergies can definitely be a culprit.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkinsx5 View Post
          If anyone has any input on yeast infection in ears - let me know. We are using an ear wash and Malotic drops. It has worked before and I'm sure will again - but since his Diabetes diagnosis - everything takes SO LONG to work! Oh well. THanks!
          Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
          I love Zymox for the ears. It can be used intensively (once daily) for an infection or periodically for maintenance. I have only had to use the non steroidal one which you can get OTC if your vet carries it or you can order online.
          I second the Zymox ... it works like a charm. Every dog's medicine cabinet should have Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution with Hydrocortisone. Entirely Pets is about the cheapest place to get it online.

My ear maintenance concoction is 50% Isopropyl Alcohol 50% White Vinegar - once a week. Wipe the ears clean and squeeze a few drops down the ear canal. Been using it for several years now and have only had one ear infection which Zymox took care of in a couple of days).
          Last edited by farrwf; 06-28-2012, 11:28 AM.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hello Everyone - it is me, Susan . I almost didn't post I am kind of embarassed to have been away so long. I have lurked a bit and checked on ya'll and I've definitely thought of you and all the help you gave me and Harley! My son's going away to school and some health issues of my parents and my daughter have kept me busy - but all is well for now and we are about to enjoy Thanksgiving - we are blessed.

Harley is still with us. He had a few really good months and is doing okay now but obviously slowing a LOT. He is still mobile - thank goodness. Most of you remember his magic carpet - we haven't had to go back to that thankfully! In the last few weeks I believe he is fading but he is eating well and still manages to follow me from room to room most of the time. He has a throat issues which causes him to have trouble drinking water (food is no problem) so we have had to resort to giving him small amounts of water at a time. The Vet says he is NOT in pain and NOT suffering - just old and tired - so we are doing our best to give him all the love and care we can in the time he has. He is resting peacefully on his "kitchen bed" (there's one in almost every room!) while I type this at the kitchen table. His blood glucose levels - while great for a long while are really fluctuating now and the Vet thinks this is just progression of the disease due to his age, etc. We test his blood about 5 times a day and try to keep him as level as possible.

I am going to try and get back on more often and check on some of your progress - I think of you often. Happy Thanksgiving!
            FIGHTING FOR HARLEY...Susan & Harley- Yellow Lab born 2/21/2001 ~ dx 3/27/2012 ~ started with 11 units 2x day now at 21units Humulin N 2x day - weight 100

Comment

Glad to hear the old codger is doing well. It's testimony to how well you're caring for him.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

one thing you can expect from this disease is change and as they get older the body is changing so will blood sugar

if you stick with the basic principals harley will grow older gracefully and thats ok part of life it sounds like he enjoys you very much and you definitely adore him

so adjust to the new realities your testing so thats a big help

glad to here harley is doing good
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Susan, Great to see you on and hear of Harley.

I have to wonder if the recent slowing down is tied into something needing to be addressed with the diabetes. Have you ran a curve since he has been fluctuating. Spot checking, even if done frequently, won't give you all the information that you would get with a curve. Running a full 12 hr. curve might reveal a problem that could be addressed. For any number of reasons he could either need more or less insulin and this could be making him seems as though he is deteriorating.

If the problem with drinking water is tied to a megaesophagus problem, some folks are able to have the dog get fluids by Knox blocks. They mix water, broth and knox gelatin together and then cut it into blocks. These are more apt to slip down the throat. Let me know if you want me to track down the recipe for you.

Ruby has Megaesophagus and she used to have a problem with water. What I would do is crumble the knox blocks and mix it into her food. Luckily she is able to drink water now if it is elevated.

Also to be considered, is wether or not he could be dehydrated. This will sometimes affect how the bgs read. I think the way it goes is if there isn't as much fluid in the vein from dehydration the bgs will be more concentrated and therefore read higher.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me making suggestions. Sometimes they are just old and tired, but hopefully it is just something that needs to be tweaked.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Love the idea of Harley having a bed in every room! Thats so cool.

So pleased to hear your update Susan. Enjoy your Thanksgiving Holidays!
                    Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Happy to read an update on Harley. Glad the legs are still going strong and for the most part the bg has been steady. Hoping the slowing down is just age and nothing more.
                      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thank you for the Harley update....
                        Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Working...
                        X