Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camellia Camelo

Thank you for sharing the video, I had never heard a handpan
    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo - no diabetes -whew!

Originally posted by Patty View Post
      Watching to see how things go, Carol.
      NOT diabetes; that's ruled out. Whew! No glucose in the urine.

Traces that MIGHT indicate infection, but hard to tell. So a mini blood-work panel is under way, and I'll get results Monday. Camellia doesn't act sick apart from drinking a lot - but nothing like DIABETIC-A-LOT, which I am Quite Familiar With, thanks to my beloved Kumbi! Who went to the bridge from cancer, not diabetes.

I'll probably be taking Camellia in to the vet's Monday or Tuesday; depending on what the bloodwork shows, and on how things go from now, they might do cystocentesis for a urine culture. Not my preferred method, so we'll see. They (my vets) say it's the only way absolutely to ensure a clean sample.

Camellia is basically a fearful dog in many ways, and I've re-initiated house-training, AND she'd drinking less water now. She's responding well to the new house-training, and hasn't had an accident last night nor today. My vet agreed there's a possibility that stress (!) could have caused the extra drinking, and thus peeing in the house!

MY life has had new restrictions that have changed Camellia's daily experience a lot; possibly the major element being, no road-walks; no walks at all. That's because I'm not allowed to take on a force (lift - or pull) more than 10 pounds. This is to protect inter-ocular pressure after cataract surgery. Not allowed to bend over, either (my head). Lots of deep knee bends I'm VERY fortunate that my knees are good!

But Camellia explodes and acts like a marlin on the end of a line when she sees other dogs on walks (or any other time, too). This will continue; assuming my second eye (I won't be having cataract surgery on the third ) gets done on schedule, 22 Jan; for another six weeks at least after that.

So I'll have to do whatever, to keep Camellia in decent shape in the interim. For now, it's letting her run in the driveway with the gate between it and the road shut. It will have to do.

P.S. The fixed eye sees amazingly well; i won't have full vision, because of age-related macular degeneration, but colors appear a lot brighter, and stuff is more distinct with distance vision. Mly ophthalmologist says the eye is healing well (whew!)

I'll keep you all posted. <3 <3 <3
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo - handpans

Originally posted by Charlie's mom View Post
        Thank you for sharing the video, I had never heard a handpan
        Nice to meet you! Glad you're with us on this truly magnificent forum!

Handpans are still very rare, relatively speaking. And they're hard to get! The situation is changing rapidly, because so many who DO encounter them immediately fall madly and obsessively in love with them! And the intrepid few want them so badly that they set out to build their own - a very expensive and difficult task to take on! Most people still, though, have never heard of them!

There's a lot of information on the handpan.org forum:

http://www.handpan.org/forum/index.php

It serves well as a reference and a kind of daily news (of a sort). The forum is well-run; it rivals this one for magnificence; they have a good team of administrators / moderators - same as here.

However, their forum incorporates quite a lot more idiocy than ours here does! One learns after a time what to ignore

There are places on the forum that lead easily to videos of this instrument. The main listing on the main forum page lists the acknowledged superior versions of the instrument, and there are others that are coming along really nicely.

HEre's the video that started me on handpans:
        '
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xxnFqdBCE

I was so taken with it that as fast as I could, I joined the forum.

Adding info: it seems most dogs LOVE this music! Cats malybe less so. Certainly Camellia likes it, and apparently finds it soothing.
        Last edited by CarolW; 12-29-2013, 08:02 PM. Reason: fix typo; add information
        CarolW

Comment

Glad your postop healing is going well Carol. And very glad to hear Camellia does NOT have diabetes. Hoping its an easy fix, whether that's a diagnosed UTI or a routine change.

Wishing you well!
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo (not diabetes)

Patty - I'm beginning to think the entire thing is stress, because after two days, with more attention than I've given her for a time, including a vet visit where Camellia got lots MORE attention - she has stopped drinking excessively. And no more accidents in the house. So I'll be watching, and following up as well, including another vet-visit, but I feel very reassured.

If Camellia HAD turned out to be diabetic, of course I would have undertaken the standard routines, but because she quite clearly ISN'T, I am greatly relieved!
            CarolW

Comment

Update: I held off on Clavamox for a couple of days, as, with a renewal of house-training, Camellia seemed to be improving. But then, watching water consumption, and with another accident, I started her on the Clavamox provided by Dr. Carla Bell.

Seven days of that; she came off it yesterday, and seems much better. It appeared to make her feel much better in 48 hours, which is about what I'd expect, so apparently, whatever set off the UTI was killed off by the Clavamox.

Now it's a matter of watching. If need be, I'll take another urine sample in, but it will have to be free-catch, because for cystocentesis, I'd have to carry her (cannot because restricted by recent cataract surgery). (Or she'd have to spend the previous night in hospital; forget that!)
              CarolW

Comment

Update: Camellia is well now. I'm not as strong as I was, and remain with some restrictions after cataract surgery (first my left eye; then the right; six-week healing period for each; I have three weeks to go).

Which means I can't walk Camellia, as she pulls, I estimate, 40 to 60 pounds, like a marlin on the end of a fish-line, when she sees other dogs. She is, simply, sure every other dog on Earth (with one exception - but that dog moved away) - is out to bully her to death.

After shedding many tears, I've taken up a friend's offer to give Camellia a home where she can be properly cared for.

And I have to move house; for me, that's like a major disaster; I hate it. My landlord wants to sell or burn the house down (!); my electric bills are out of sight (poor insulation). Going to look at a place tomorrow. Hope it's good. It's one where Camellia will be able to visit.

By the way, I thought cataract surgery would be trivial, but it's not, for me! (I also have macular degeneration, but it could be worse.) My vision is hugely improved now, but I have trouble making my two eyes work together properly.

And to top things off, I've been having balance problems the last few years.

My VET diagnosed it, probably, correctly, as BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). How many of you have wished your vets were your doctors? I wished that for many years - but FINALLY, I actually HAVE a family doctor, which I haven't had for 20 years. For every Canadian who has one, there may be about 600 who DO NOT HAVE ONE! those people have no designated primary care physician, and that's an unhappy position to be in.

And my family doctor is young, very competent, keeps up with research, and I like him. I got lucky.

So he said I could do the Epley maneuver (google it; I'm doing a Michigan State modified version) up to three times a day! But the cataract surgery has restricted that, so I'm staggering around some these days. Should be able to start doing those exercises again in a couple of weeks.

I hope to be moved by early April, and then to see Camellia occasionally, and perhaps take her for some hours, or, very occasionally, for a couple of weeks if my friend travels.

Hoping to continue my musical activity. The handpan world is fun; the people are as great as the people here. We've had two special jam sessions, which I dubbed Panjamas; the second one a week ago Wednesday. Being still restricted after surgery, I couldn't play much; yet - I played a new handpan built by a friend - and it was fabulous! - while the friend played my handpan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcKg...3_fTs3&index=7

My new place will be very near the Big City (next town), so I'll have more musical opportunities than I do now, without having to travel for them.

I keep gluing back pieces of my heart at giving up Camellia, but she deserves a better life than she can now have with me - and - at least I got her to a state where she does far better with humans than she used to.

I'll still be shedding tears, but the handpan will help with healing.

I love you all.

P.S. another example of recent (still-restricted) playing; I continue to work on this theme, and Camellia likes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jgas...3_fTs3&index=6
                Last edited by CarolW; 02-14-2014, 10:38 PM. Reason: add info
                CarolW

Comment

pretty cool with your playing carol. it does seem to be a spiritual experience for the one that plays the instrument

i so admire anyone who plays an instrument and keep up the good work .

its difficult to reach a point in ones life when an individual cant care for there pup anymore not much different when you talk about the greatest gift you can give a pup that is very ill with no hope of recovery and give the release from this world

it is a gift for camelila to be entrusted to your friend as a full time person to care for camellia for the rest of her life which is very generous . i am sure you are grateful for such a wonderful gesture . the good thing is you will get to see her without the stress only the friendship . as you know it takes courage to make these decisions because we love them so much and thats why we make these decisions out of love .

most times its not the time spent but the quality of that time

glad you are going to find a place that has a bit more warmth and up to date and being closer to more facilities if needed down the road .

it is nice to have the same doctor many of us have to draw straws on who we will see on there doctors visit which is the same for our animals with vets its very hard to understand a patient without consistency

hope it all works out for you guys. it usually finds its path but i do understand it can be a difficult time until we fully figure what the path has planed for us

stay safe carol keep playing and enjoying your music and your love of life
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hello Carol
                    Picture
                    Just watched your Camellia sitting on the couch next to you listening to ever note you played. Maybe after you move, get settled Camellia can live back with you, get used to your new home together

I had major hip surgery in may, had neighbours walk my guy, I was soo greatful. Being challeged is no fun BUT its workable

According to your video your Camelia loves you tooo soon to be separated Carol.

Picture

Accessible options r available to you. Eg. Taking Camellia for walks, runs with a motorized scooter. She can accuately help you navigate with repetition. Same as walking a blind dog, only the owner is .challenged.

Need some pics or videos I can do this for you

You dont have to give her up Carol. I, ll edit with a pic in abit

See my profile for pictures of Riles on his mobility scooter k

Safe journey

Mo
                    Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 02-16-2014, 01:31 AM. Reason: cant get pic in
                    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Hey, Mo! Thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas! I LOVED Riley's album. What a dog!

Various conditions prevent me from implementing some of your ideas. At least I'll be able to see Camellia quite often, and her new home will be wonderful for her.

And I promise; I'll play handpan (pantam) music for her often
                      CarolW

Comment

I'm glad you will be able to see her often and hopefully keep her for some overnights. You are very brave Carol and I hope things turn out well for both of you. hugs, Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Oh, Carol, I wish I lived next door to you and could just run over and help you with Camellia. I'm glad you have such a good friend, you'll still be able to spend time with Camellia, and you have your beautiful handpans. You are such a gift to this forum.
                          Glennys
                          Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Comment

Thanks Judi and Glennys. Camellia is a very interesting dog - in some ways so difficult; in others, easy. I couldn't do this unless I had a way of seeing her again and visiting with her.
                            CarolW

Comment

So sorry you have do this carol. I'm happy you will still get to see her. You have always provided so much love and care to your furry ones and now you must take care of yourself. Hope your sight continues to improve and you can work on the vertigo. My sister had it and must do that maneuver many times a day. Music does heal . I love that instrument. Take care dear lady
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jebsmom View Post
                                Oh, Carol, I wish I lived next door to you and could just run over and help you with Camellia. I'm glad you have such a good friend, you'll still be able to spend time with Camellia, and you have your beautiful handpans. You are such a gift to this forum.
                                Glennys
                                Awe Carol, I am echoing Glennys sentiments. Wish we could pop over and help. Glad you'll get to visit your girl. Moving is always a challenge I think but you have such great support around you.
                                Blessings!
                                Patty
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X