Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Andy, the Wonder Wiener

Yes Roxy definitely runs the show. The boys will get a little too rowdy from time to time and Roxy jumps in the middle and it is all over but the crying. LOL

I have always been told that in a pack you should only have one female or there will be fighting for dominance. Not sure if that is always true but I know it would be true here.

I have one more not shown in the picture that is a chiwennie, half doxie and half chihuahua. He thinks he is leader of the pack, growls and shows his teeth. Unfortunately no one pays any attention.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Founding Member

I have 3 female dogs and 2 males. Never a dominance problem. Is a dominance problem with my male dogs. They both want to be boss and get all of the attention.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Andy went in for allergy testing today. He is having the RAST test done. This is allergy testing done using a blood draw. They send it off for analysis and in four to six weeks you get the results.

I am having him tested for food, regional and home.

I am hoping this will help. Anyone else do allergy testing? Was it successful and what kind did you have done?

Did you opt for the allergy shots?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Hi Ann,

We never did the testing as Chris' allergies were episodic and not entirely unmanageable. Guess you've read Wiggins' story.

Are you a member of the Cushings forum?

I think there are folks over there who have done it. Perhaps they wouldn't mind your interjecting a question about that over there.

www.k9cushings.com

Natalie
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Talking Re: Andy, the Wonder Wiener

Andy's allergy tests came back.

Of all things, Andy is allergic to both chicken and turkey. This is all I have ever fed him. He is also allergic to corn, alfalfa and duck.

He is allergic to many grasses, fungi and elm trees. Of course we have a big elm tree in the front yard.

The good news? He is not allergic to dust or dust mites. I do not have to worry so much about cleaning!

Tonight he had fish, green beans and brown rice. This weekend I need to shop for beef. I worry about beef because of the fat content. I need to find very lean cuts. http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/03...62f417ff7c.jpg

I corrected this to say fish, green beans and brown rice....I typed that wrong!

Last edited by forloveofandy; 09-13-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Founding Member

Are you against trying a canned food with either fish or venison? We also have kangaroo (very lean) as a choice but I am not sure you will get that over there. At least you know what not to feed.....good luck.

Jenny
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forloveofandy View Post
Andy's allergy tests came back.

Of all things, Andy is allergic to both chicken and turkey. This is all I have ever fed him. He is also allergic to corn, alfalfa and duck.

He is allergic to many grasses, fungi and elm trees. Of course we have a big elm tree in the front yard.

The good news? He is not allergic to dust or dust mites. I do not have to worry so much about cleaning!

Tonight he had fish, green beans and chicken. This weekend I need to shop for beef. I worry about beef because of the fat content. I need to find very lean cuts. http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/03...62f417ff7c.jpg

Evanger has a couple of single source canned foods. One of them is Mackerel. They stick a bunch of very identifiable chucks of Mackerel in a can, and cook it. Devon's crazy about it. It's like big old sardines. If he didn't eat it so fast I could imagine the kitchen would be a bit stinky.

They also have Pheasant, and something called Hunk of Beef. They stick a hunk of beef in a can, and cook it. Well named food. Devon goes nuts for that too. There's also buffalo and venison out there too. Devon didn't like either one without cheese on it.

snow<--person
Devon <--- dog
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Ok Jenny, I can never tell Andy about the kangaroo. He will want to go live with you!
Yes I will eventually try some canned. There are a lot of high quality cans that are 95% pure meat. Right now I just want to control very tightly what goes into his food to take the stress off of his immune system.

Snow I will check out the Evanger. I have seen it at the pet store but knew nothing about it. I like the idea of seeing big chunks. You have to wonder about the ground up stuff....like what is really in it?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator

I don't know what the status is now but Evanger's was barred from producing pet food a few months ago.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._evangers.html

Natalie
Old 09-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Nat thank you for posting this. I purchased two cans yesterday that I will promptly return today.

Safe or not, I want nothing to do with a company involved in recall.
Also, their response to inquires was nothing short of criminal.

For me, I am simply homecooking. It is not more expensive and once you have a routine down, it is fast and easy.

I went to Costco, purchased in bulk, eye of round. I trim it of all visible fat and put it in the slow cooker overnight with lots of water and few granules of beef broth.

Next morning, drain all that delicious broth and put in fridge so that any remaining fat rises to the top and can be lifted off.

Shred the beef and place in containers that hold approximately a weeks worth and freeze. When I am ready to make a week of food, I take a container of beef, some green beans (microwave steamers) processed and chopped fine and some long-grain brown rice and mix.

I have some small glad containers that hold one meal. I divide it al up and place in the fridge. When it is time to eat, pop one out, 30 secs in the microwave and that's it. Pour a little extra broth on top too.

I also feed lowfat cottage cheese by spoon with any pills he needs to take such as Sam-e, vitamin or Benadryl.

My other dogs get a small amount of Honest Kitchen freeze dried raw with fresh meat.

I also buy orange roughy (fish) and substitute that for meat on occassion.

It does not cost anymore than super premium dog foods. And the preparation is simple.

Now that I know what Andy is allergic to his BG's have stabilized and I continue to reduce insulin to keep him from going too low. I had no idea that food allergies could cause all the problems Andy suffered. He is so happy, playful and acting like a puppy again.

So Andy did not have rapid insulin metabolism, it was not a mismatch of food and insulin. His body was rejecting his food.

I thought food allergies would always show up in skin issues. This is NOT true. Food allergies show up in many different ways. In a diabetic it means glucose out of control due to an inflamatory response every time they eat. The only time I responded to a food allergy is when Andys skin broke out, or turned red or his ears turned red. I always looked for an outward physical manifestation.

Turkey and Chicken did none of those things to him so I felt he was not allergic to them. But internally it was causing an allergic response that played havoc with his glucose control. Not to mention making him sick and lethargic.

If your dog is hard to regulate and you feel you have ruled out infection, I would recommend you get the RAST test done. You can have the food panel only run for approximately $200. It is just a blood draw that is sent off to a lab so you can certainly shop around for best price. The individual Vet does not do the test so it does not matter where you go.

And yes there are a lot of opinions about the RAST test versus skin prick testing pros and cons. The skin testing is probably better if you are looking to test for airborne allergies and opt for allergy shots. But if you are looking for food allergies the RAST test is a very good one. Cheap by comparrison and easy to do. All I can say is that it changed Andy's life and mine too!