Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Hi,

To help everyone new to diabetes in their dog, please post what you use(d) for your dog:

Dog's name, breed:
    Dog's weight:
    Diet:
    Insulin:
    Number of units per injection and injections per day:
    Brand of BG meter if home testing:

And feel free to add any additional information you feel would be helpful, as well as to update or add to your post as things change.

Natalie

Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed:
    Chris (male)
    mutt of unidentifiable origin (two DNA tests failed to identify)

Weight:
    average of 60 pounds

Diet:
    Last was Canidae canned chicken, lamb, and fish mixed half and half with cottage cheese or chicken

Insulin:
    Novolin (Relion) Regular

average of 7 units per injection
    four injections per day, every six hours

Mostly OneTouch Ultra, which was an average of 30 points low from lab values

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
      Apollo, Yorkie

Weight:
      average of 13 pounds

Diet:
      Hills W/D dry and some canned (at shot time)

Insulin:
      Vetsulin

4 1/2 units per injection
      2 injections per day, every twelve hours

Use Urine test strips -
      have OneTouch Ultra - need to get brave enough to use
      Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
        Lucky (neutered male), chihuahua

Weight:
        9.9 lb

Diet:
        W/D canned 1/3 can twice daily

Insulin(s):
        Human Lente-type--worked for one week.
        Compounded Beef Insulin--just as successful as the human insulin was.
        Iletin II Lente (pork Lente)--regulated quickly on 2.5 units (IU) twice daily-product discontinued shortly thereafter.
        Iletin II NPH (pork NPH)--used 3.5 units (IU) twice daily for about 2 months. Lucky had intolerances of the NPH suspension and preservatives.
        Caninsulin/Vetsulin--regulated quickly on 4 units (IU) twice daily. U40 strength allowed us to "fine-tune" Lucky's great control using pork Lente insulin and make it even tighter.

4 units (IU) Caninsulin twice daily, every 12 hours.

Lucky was always professionally tested at least once a week.

Lucky had immune-mediated insulin resistance. His body recognized that the insulin wasn't his own and would react as if it was something harmful to be disposed of, such as a virus. The insulins would be destroyed by his system before they could do much about lowering his bg's. Pork insulin is a 100% amino acid match to canine insulin; when we arrived here, his body no longer destroyed the insulin, since it was just like his.
        Last edited by We Hope; 08-16-2008, 05:17 PM. Reason: clarifying Lilly discontinued Iletin II Lente

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
          Mickey....Bichon/poodle
          Dog's weight: 16.9 lbs 6 years old
          Diet: green beans, brown rice,chicken or turkey breast..some cesar dog food..
          Insulin:
          Vetsulin...7 units twice a day
          Brand of BG meter if home testing
          Accu-Chek Ultra

Mickey is also on a potassium pill once a day and Denamarin (milk thistle) once a day
          Last edited by Mickey'sMom; 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Dog's name, breed:

Buddy, Miniature Poodle, Age 15

Dog's weight:

5kg (11lbs)

Diet:

125g Science Diet Mature canned, 20g dry

Insulin:

Humulin N

5iu BID

Medisense Optium

Supplements & extras:

Glucosamine, Vitamin B, Amoxycillin, Benefiber, Lactilube & Acular for eyes

Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Dog's name,breed:
              Cara
              English Setter (Blue Belton)
              Diagnosed Aug. 1, 2008
              Cataract surgery and lens implantation Jan 22/09

Weight:
              22.5 Kg (49.5 lbs)

Diet:
              1 cup WD, 85 gr cooked chickenbreast, 3/4 c chopped green beans / twice day before shots
              AM only 1 - 20 minims capsule cod liver oil

Insulin:
              Caninsulin (Vetsulin)
              Changed to NPH oct. 2011

10 units/AM 9 units PM

Brand of BG meter:
              OneTouchUltra II, AlphaTrak
              Keto-Diastix Urinestrips
              Last edited by Cara's Mom; 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM. Reason: updating
              Marion

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Niki 11 yrs old

Dog's weight: 44 lbs

Diet: 1/3 C Ground Turkey, 2/3 C Brocolli, 1/2 C Orijen sometimes a little brown rice.

Insulin: Relion Novolin NPH 10 1/2 units AM & PM

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 2

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Alpha Trak for curves, Walmart Relion meter for daily use, will use Alpha Trak if I feel there is a problem. I have used other meters but I'm satisifed with the Alphatrak and the Relion meter.
                Last edited by eyelostit; 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM. Reason: update
                Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Dog's name - Lady

Breed - Jack Russell Terrier

Weight - 11.5 lbs.

Diet - Chicken ,Turkey or Beef, Oatmeal, Cottage cheese, String beans, Celery

Insulin - Humulin N

Number of units - 5 units twice a day

Brand of meter - One Touch Ultra

Medicine - Trilostane 30 mgs. once a day for Cushing's

Supplements - Cosequin, Fish Oil, Milk Thistle, Pet multi vitamin
                  Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Kumbi Ya Sentry X. Twitch y Thunderpaws
                    Red Australian Terrier, neutered male
                    Date of birth: 19 November, 1996
                    Diagnosed 1 September, 2006.
                    His sire, Buck, had diabetes also

Kumbi is in glowing good health; has been since last winter.

weight: 20 pounds

Diet: Medi-Cal Fibre Formula, one cup dry, 4 grams canned, twice a day, 12 hours apart; small treats of broccoli, low-fat cottage cheese, and the like.

Insulin: Novolin NPH
                    6.5 units, twice daily, 30 minutes after meals

One-Touch Ultra; One-Touch Ultra2; will be receiving a GlucoPet for testing and evaluation and reporting, to feature on my web site

Mostly blind from diabetic cataracts; has a bit of peripheral vision; apparently sees light and dark.

Kumbi came to me as a gift at eight months and two days of age, direct from breeder. I had him neutered two weeks later (with breeder's consent).

We walk twice a day from 20 to 40 minutes, with elder companion Australian Terrier (not related), Kwali Corazon Houdini Porcupine Twinkletoes; she is 1.5 years older than Kumbi, and came to me in poor condition at age 17.5 months (returned to [the same] breeder). These two are great buddies, and Kumbi benefits greatly from the companionship (so does Kwali, who is recovering from a mild stroke), at age 13.5

Cohort VekToria TwinkelMaus invites you to investigate further at:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/veksitemap.php

I'm brand new here; thanks, Natalie, for the great welcome!
                    Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:48:33
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

Okay...here's Ricky's info:

Dogs name, breed: Ricky Ricardo Williams, Chihuahua

Weight: 11.1 pounds (big boy!!)

Diet: Baked chicken breast, baby food green beans, (2) patties of baked W/D

Insulin: Humulin N 3 1/2 u 2 x day, Humulin R 1/2 u 2 x day (R not given if bg is under 100).

Meter: Accucheck Aviva- I also have an Alphatrak, but I find it difficult to use, and the strips are very expensive.

Supplements: Milk thistle, CoQ10, multivitamin, digestive enzymes

Comment

"Dollydog" LADY is an Australian Terrier, 12 years/4months, almost 15lbs, usually almost 16lbs(normal before diabetes was 17.5lbs)
                        Presently taking 14iu's Caninsulin twice daily and 35mgs Trilostane daily for her Cushings.
                        2 cups of food per day, 1 cup dry, 1 cup wet and is a mixture of Hill's t/d small bites, Canidae Senior and Science Diet Senior: plus Medi-Cal High Fibre, cooked chicken, broccoli, some dry moistened with Cosequin, fish oil and Milk Thistle.
                        Meter....AlphaTrak
                        Almost blind from cataracts but is just another game to her!!

AND LETTUCE TREATS MAKE ANY DAY MUCH BETTER!

Comment

Mildred, 9 yo. Border Collie mx, 31.5 pounds.
                          receives both Novolin N and Humalog morning and night
                          meals consist of extra lean ground hamburger, brown rice, pumpkin, egg white
                          supplements include milk thistle, salmon oil, vit-E, multi vitamin
                          has hypothyroidism so requires Levo taken twice daily.
                          had cataracts removed with lens' implanted in each eye in 2005
                          gall bladder removed also in 2005
                          monitor blood glucose no less than 4 times daily with Accu Chek Aviva meter.
                          -Eileen-
                          ***I switched from using R to Humalog as I was seeing afternoon insulin overlap and lingering. Since switching I am having much better results with the Humalog gone from her system in 4-5 hours.
                          Last edited by eileen; 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM. Reason: insulin type change/ found R to be too unpredictable with overlap

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

In regards to the blood glucose meters that everyone is using - can you tell me the pros and cons of each? Ease of use? Amount of blood? etc etc etc?
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
                              Soaphie, spayed female, border collie/bernese mountain dog mix.

Weight:
                              59 lb

Diet:
                              Wellness Venison & Rice with a little pumpkin. Bite of tomato as a treat after getting insulin. Tomato or green beans as snack before bed

Insulin(s):
                              dx end of July 2008. Have been struggling to get her regulated (had a seizure - hypo - mid/end October so we have been rebuilding). Vetsulin initially - finally moved on to NPH at Christmas time. In process of regulating. 10/10 a.m. / p.m.

15/15 every 12 hours.
                              Last edited by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom; 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: Just switched to NPH...
                              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X