Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soaphie

Tami,
    It was thought that the protamine was the culprit in Soaphie's reaction to NPH wasn't it? R doesn't contain the protamine. Wonder if you could use it with her. Might ask Natalie what she thinks.

Holli's idea to add a tad more Caninsulin an hour or so after injection may be a good one keep the tail ends from creeping up.
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

All good thoughts to little Soaphie! I hope, hope, hope she is doing better today!!!! And I hope those results come back benign!!!! Hugs!!!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

You could give some R as a separate injection, but with flat high blood sugar, I would just increase her Caninsulin again and see how that goes. You don't really have spikes to deal with.

It's okay to adjust the dosage of the Caninsulin in the face of a trend like this. And with home testing, you will be able to see if things change and it can be dropped back down.

Natalie

Comment

So sorry you are going through this again with having to go into the scary territory of really jumping doses. It would make me a nervous wreck, but what can you do?

Recently, through hip surgery with my mom and listening to a doctor radio show, I learned that sometimes there can be low grade infection that just kind of sits there and doesn't explode, but may impede the healing process. Did they send her home with Antibiotics? Might it be worth trying to see if it helped?

I hope the numbers come down for you.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Received a call from the vet today. The lumps were both cancerous - but not the type of cancer that spreads. She was able to get clean margins on both - so we are in the clear.

Yay Soaphielumpus!

T
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Whew to sophieno more lumpus!
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yea Sophielumpless
                Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

I'm glad they were able to get it all. Hope Soaphie has a speedy recovery.

Jake
                  13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                  At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

yay for soaphie

glad it was something that could be treated and hope to see her back to her normal self
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yay, Yay, yay!!!
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                        Received a call from the vet today. The lumps were both cancerous - but not the type of cancer that spreads. She was able to get clean margins on both - so we are in the clear.

Yay Soaphielumpus!

T
                        Oh Tami.... what wonderful news.
                        Ditto... Yay Soaphielumpus!!
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Wonderful news.

YAY Soaphie. How are her numbers?

Louise

Comment

Three cheers for Soaphie - and for you, Tami! Wonderful news!

Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:14:56 (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by buddingartist View Post
                              Wonderful news.

YAY Soaphie. How are her numbers?

Louise
                              Her numbers started coming down yesterday afternoon. She was upper 300's and I took her for a walk (mid afternoon). At dinner time she was at 250. We weren't sure if it was because she was feeling better or a result of the walk. We decided to go with her normal insulin dose.

This morning upper 200's. Stuck with her normal dose, rose to 377 around noon, then at dinner time....111!!!!

Hurray!

Tami
                              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

All good news Tami!!
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X