Rylie's mom needs your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rylie's Story

It could have been timing. Sometimes, they need a little build up before insulin starts going to work. Testing is the best thing to get these doggies straight.

Once you do decide on her dose, things are always subject to change. Little things like activity or excitement to medicines, etc. - seems like something always leads to something else. Don't get too comfortable
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I'm going to swing by the vets office and get her weight. She lost 24 pounds in a week when she was going through her pacreatitis attack. She was 104 when we took her home from the hospital on 2/2/15. I am sure she has put some weight back on. I just don't know how much.
      She has been playing outside more to. I had to give her a snack around 1pm Thursday. Her BG dropped fast. I try not to let her get to crazy, but she is a dog! A leaf blew across the yard, we were under attack! The leaf is no longer a threat thanks to Rylie, we are all safe!
      This is going to be a forever changing dose in her life. I realize this first year will be a learning curve on dosage. As well as her activity level with the changing seasons. It's a full time job! I can do this, Rylie is our child, and we love her.
      4 1/2 year old female Rotti, current weight 108 pounds. This week @ 26 units 2x a day, Novolin N, diag. 1/31/15. BG still in the mid 200's + 300's. Still trying to find a good dosage. Blue Healthy Weight 2 1/2 cups 2x's a day. Relion Prime meter

Comment

Originally posted by Rylie's mom View Post
        A leaf blew across the yard, we were under attack! The leaf is no longer a threat thanks to Rylie, we are all safe!
        I love this!!

We are constantly tweaking Vinny, but not daily unless something happens that his numbers go too low. (Funny thing is, he started at 20, has been all the way down to 13 and all the way up to 28! And now, we're at 20!) Just to give you an idea of what they can handle, Vinny came in last weekend after playing with his brother in the yard. I usually test him after playing and he was at 41!! I have never seen him go that low and he showed absolutely no outward signs of it! Karo on his gums and a couple of biscuits started it going up, but I tested him 15 min. later and it was only up to 75!

Silly dog! But, you know, he is a dog and I'm going to let him play...just not too hard!
        Mel
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I had to take Rylie to the vets office on Friday to weigh her. She gained 4 pounds. Thats ok, she needed to put on a few since she had lost so much from being so sick. Anyway, I dropped off the curves I had done, one for every increase of dosage. I am very confused at my vets reaction to her curves. The one I thought was the closest to how they are suposed to be, he DID NOT LIKE! ( from fast to fast every two hours @ 26 units ) 373, 328, 302, 302, 311, 298, 304.
          The one he liked, 241, 221, 359, 283,230, 264. The reason he liked this one is because of the spike 2 hours after her meal. Not because of the numbers. He said " A good curve has large spikes" I asked him twice to explain to me why, and that was his answer. I said to him, wouldnt it be better if it was a gentle curve from start to finish showing the food and insolin working together. He said NO.
          I do not have a history with this vet. The first time we saw him is when Rylie got so sick. ( my mother in laws vet ). I would very much welcome your honesty at this point. I realize there are no real experts in my area on dogs and diabetes. Just like anything else, I am going to continue to read, ask and learn all I can about keeping Rylie healthy. I will say that everything I have read on many sites, keeps me coming back here. You all know your units!!! I am disapointed that Rylies current vet is so stubburn in his thinking and knowledge. He knows how to diagnose, I'm not confident on his knowledge to treat for a healthy and happy long life. Am I wrong in my understanding of curves, and did I just make a big butthead of myself? Lol. Thanks jan
          4 1/2 year old female Rotti, current weight 108 pounds. This week @ 26 units 2x a day, Novolin N, diag. 1/31/15. BG still in the mid 200's + 300's. Still trying to find a good dosage. Blue Healthy Weight 2 1/2 cups 2x's a day. Relion Prime meter

Comment

well that's a bit bizarre in the comment on large spikes in blood sugar

i know with jess she doesn't feel well with spiking or dropping blood sugar

stable blood sugar is much easier to regulate

i guess everyone has there own way of looking at things

most of us have discovered that the vets don't have allot to offer in the management of the disease . probably don't spend enough time with it which is understandable and not as invested as the caretaker . there really is not much info out there except for the the individual care takers providing there experience . you will become an expert of your pups diabetes overtime and you probably wont ask to much of the vet overtime on your pups management of diabetes

in the end your going in a positive direction and thats what matters
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I am starting to understand that. When Rylie spikes, she just isn't the same dog. He also told me that he wants her numbers closer to 300. When I question him, he said that is where they should be. I tried to discuss it further and he ended our talk and left the room. My opinion of him changed at that moment. The clinic was empty and he was not rushed.
              When Rylie first got sick, they told me not to worry about high numbers, that the side effects of high numbers in diabetes do not effect dogs because they don't live long enough to do any damage. That it would take years and years. People suffer because of the length of life span.
              I'm just really disappointed in animal care that cost so much for nothing!
              I feel so blessed to have found a place where I can ask questions and get the right answers. Thank you doesn't seem to say enough!!

Comment

When Rylie first got sick, they told me not to worry about high numbers, that the side effects of high numbers in diabetes do not effect dogs because they don't live long enough to do any damage. That it would take years and years.
                Well, if I didn't consider his comments about spikes to be strange and concerning, this idiotic statement sealed the deal. Obviously, he hasn't had any dogs live long enough to know what affects them. Guess Maggie's 7 years of survival are a miracle to him. I would find a better "attitude" in a hurry. You need a partner in this journey, not a cloud of negativity and no explanations for your questions.

Now, dogs DO handle higher numbers pretty well for a while. But, there is still incentive to get them on a good path. Just to have them feeling better is enough of a reason.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

another thing that maybe overlooked is many vets dont see dogs blood sugar tested at home. many dont promote it which is a shame

one of the benefits is the opportunity to have pretty good blood sugar so you can have sugar that is in a better range with the risk of hypo negligible that may not be possible with limited testing at the vet

my goal with jesses blood sugar is to stay between 100 and 150 and most times thats where she hangs out at. sometimes higher sometime lower . many dogs do great with numbers from 150 to 250 maybe a bit higher or lower . i have seen a couple dogs here that had blood sugar that looked like normal . jesse has had moments like that which amazes me because i thought that would never be possible

its what you are comfortable with not your vet, family members or friends even people here on the forum . the thing about this journey its just for you and your pup . most of the answers are inside you . i never thought in a million years i could do this . it mentally and physically changed me for the better . i dont just take things at face value anymore as my mom always said to me i am from Missouri show me and you better back it up

is it scary at times oh yes . you have a life your responsible for. does it get easier yes do you stop worrying no but you find a place that works and the happiness for me is to see that jesse can still enjoy a dogs life and diabeties is just a foot note
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Maddie went to the vet yesterday as well. My vet was kind of the same way about the spikes. She said that it was normal and to not stress over the high numbers. I can tell that Maddie feels lousy when she spikes and drops, so yes, I am going to stress over the high numbers

Comment

• Re: Rylie's Story

One thing about the process is to have patience with regulating the numbers. Dogs have taken months to regulate. It is rare to get to a manageable number immediately. Many times, it takes a little tweaking here and there. The problem with some vets and clients is getting in a rush. That is how Maggie got horribly overdosed - a vet who didn't do curves and was in a rush to get her numbers down.

I think you are doing great with Rylie - if you can make some progress every week getting those numbers down or making the curve a little flatter, then you will be there in no time.

Comment

I love you all! It makes me so mad sometimes when I am forced to face the truth about a large number of vets. Yes, it is ALL about the money! Like the emergency hospital, give us $3000.00 for 36 hours of care or put your dog down. Sometimes I make myself sick when I have to look greed in the face!
                        I'm 51 years old, I have had a very difficult life. The only family that has stuck by me and stood by my side are my dogs. Past, present and I am sure future! There is no greater love than those big eyes, wagging nub (in Rylie's case) bed hogging, quilty with an explanation, (stuffing from a toy all over the house) all rolled up into my best freind!
                        So in a nut shell, Yes, I will do my very best, I will put her needs before mine, I will make sure she gets the best care I can give her, why, because she gives it to me without thought, without greed. She forgives me without even knowing what that means. They are not just dogs, the are angels sent from heaven to teach us unconditional love.

Comment

Rylie's mom I feel the same as you when it comes to my doggy. He is my best friend never lets me down. Wish I could say the same for my family too. Ben is my doggy's name & has diabetes for about 1yr. now & went blind about 3mths. ago. I was freaking out but he adjusted so well. Still after a year I do not have his sugar regulated, days he is all over the place. This is why i love this group can always ask a question when you are having a problem & someone alwways answers. Had to reply to your post though cause like you I will stick with ben thru thick & thin. I am his eyes now.
                          Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Comment

That is most unfortunate as the vet is obviously not well informed at all about managing diabetes. I think you will have to set the standards for your dog and perhaps you will eventually be able to bring the vet along and educate him.

I don't see a clear winner between the two curves. Overall, I do like the curve that is mostly 200s but for a different reason than the one he gave you - I like that all of the levels are mostly quite a bit lower. If you can get the blood sugar in that range all the time, you would be doing well and might be able to shoot for something even tighter.

Like you, I like the flatness of the higher curve. But sometimes that just means there isn't enough insulin on board and, as the dose goes up, the curve becomes less flat. The ideal curve would be all readings in the 100s and 200s and flat - that is what you aim for.

If you find that a spike like you had here occurs every day, it tells you that the food and insulin are not always matched up properly. And there are ways to compensate for that. But I think some more time of testing would help sort out if this is an off day or a regular occurrence.

Do you give a lunchtime snack?

In my experience, many rotties have somewhat erratic blood sugar. They can go for weeks or months doing fine on a dose and then suddenly have low blood sugar on the same amount. So I'm glad you are testing. Follow the trends - that's where the information for decisions will come.

one I thought was the closest to how they are suposed to be, he DID NOT LIKE! ( from fast to fast every two hours @ 26 units ) 373, 328, 302, 302, 311, 298, 304.
                            The one he liked, 241, 221, 359, 283,230, 264.

I am starting to understand that. When Rylie spikes, she just isn't the same dog. He also told me that he wants her numbers closer to 300. When I question him, he said that is where they should be. I tried to discuss it further and he ended our talk and left the room. My opinion of him changed at that moment. The clinic was empty and he was not rushed.
                            When Rylie first got sick, they told me not to worry about high numbers, that the side effects of high numbers in diabetes do not effect dogs because they don't live long enough to do any damage. That it would take years and years. People suffer because of the length of life span.
                            I'm just really disappointed in animal care that cost so much for nothing!
                            I feel so blessed to have found a place where I can ask questions and get the right answers. Thank you doesn't seem to say enough!!
                            Natalie

Comment

I had several curves with me to hand over to the vet. Her dose is now 27 units, I jumped up to 28 from 26 at first, but her BG dropped to low to fast and stayed there. So I backed down and thought it would be a good idea to stay at 27 units for a good 10 days before I do another curve or change anything.
                              As for snacks, she gets pumkin pops, and green beens. If she plays hard outside, I sometimes have to give her a 1/2 cup of food just to keep her above 100.
                              The only real problem that has popped up this last week is she has such bad gas that she even leaves the room! I dont know why. Everything is the same. No change in food or treats.
                              I will post her next curve in a few days after I do it. The weather here is unsettled, hot, cold then rain. It does effect her numbers. She is a strange bird!!
                              Thank you for all your support!!

Comment

• Rylie's mom needs your help!

It's been over a month since we have logged on and I was having trouble jumping back into our thread. I started a new one because I need help.
                                Three days ago, Rylie started to have very soft stools, almost runny. I thought she ate something in the yard, or it was from her heartworm meds. I put her on white rice and boiled chicken just in case. She seems to be doing fine other than her poop.
                                She has been on 26 units novolin for some time and doing WONDERFUL, until Monday morning. I fed her at 6am, the chicken and rice, I did not check her BG, I gave her dose and all seemed ok. At 9:30 am I had a feeling and checked her BG, it was 83! I gave her a cookie with syrup waited 30 min. checked again no change, so I gave her a snack with more syrup and an hour later she was 102, by 3 pm 174. Then at dinner time I checked her BG first, it was down to 151. I fed her and DID NOT give her any insolin. At 10 pm she was at 323 and since I use the ReliOn meter I went ahead and gave her 13 units because it was going up and I thought some is better than none with the long night ahead.
                                At 6 am,just before her meal she was "43" !!!!!! I fed her 1 cup white rice, 1 cup regular food, some boiled chicken breast and a topping of syrup! An hour later, now she is 33!!!!!! On my way to walmart to buy new strips to see if thats the issue. No insolin today and she is this low? Please advice is SO NEEDED.

Comment

Working...
                                X