Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Chris - 14 years old

Nat I'm sorry Chris is feeling bad, and to all others with our older doggies.

My Akita cross Chief is going downhill also now, but as I read about the weight loss in the hind legs, at first I thought I was imagining it, but nah he is, his back legs he's sorta hopping along, and his front ones are starting to go, he's up to 2 meloxicam's 2X a day thats about 3.75 mg each, I had called vet about a month ago to up his dose to the 2X he's taking now, I am leary of uping it anymore, I haven't had any problems with meloxicam, Chiefs been on it for 2 yrs now, but now its the 2X day.

I am waiting for him to tell me its time to go also, this just breaks my heart because other than his legs he's a happy dog, good appetitie, goes outside does his business, lays on his back and acts like a baby.

I had called the vet earlier today, both my doggies need their shots, but as I talked to the gal, I just said there's no need for Chief to get his shots, I don't think he will be here much longer, if he makes it thru the summer, Ok, that will be a miracle, but I doubt it when the cold weather gets here.

I had to put down my old german shepard who was 18, but with his legs, for a long time he was on rimadyl, got worse, go to vet, my vet not there, see his wife, she gives him another drug and next day i think he had direaha in the hall ( I should of know when I cleaned it up it did not have that poo odor) and here it was blood he threw up, my vet had know ahead of time by looking at his paws, from throwing up, the stuff he threw up falls into their paws, so she knew he was bleeding and showed me how his gums were losing their pink color told me he would not last the day. So oh well, another rainbow bridge crosser.

So its making me heartsick with Chief, I think he will let me know, or when he can't come in from the yard or I have to pick him up (which I know I can't do, and will have to resort to pulling him on a blanket) Then Niki will be alone, Geez, just lost my other dog last summer.

I can't stand it, it creeps up in my mind and I have to keep shoving the thought way back there!!

He was the white puppy some people bought their kids for a Xmas gift they got tired of him and left him outside on one of those screw in the ground posts, until my husbands co worker took him, then his wifes dog a pug didn't like him and bit his ear, so my husband brought him home then we had 4 dogs, Chief never liked being patted on the head, he'd shrivel down a bit, no doubt the prev owners smacked him on the head. Thank God he came home to us.

Aw, this post is making me sad, hard with the older doggies, and the big ones their legs just go, my medium sized dog got the bad legs to, but she could get around better, I guess because she didn't weigh as much.

Nothing you can do, and you feel helpless. It never gets any easier no matter how many dogs you have had.

Well I hope all our older doggies are doing better today,

yep its Saturday now and i am up still at 3:30 AM, Niki running low so I've been checking her , all and all we cherish & love our dogs, they are one of the good things of this world who really give you unconditional love.

God I miss my dogs more than people, can't help it, people P me off!!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Founding Member

Hi Nat,
Don't you dare apologize about having a whinge. We all need to let it out every now and then. I hope today is one of Chris's good days and that there are many more of them. Like they say, one day at a time.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I don't really know why all these old pups tend to lose muscle mass in their hips and back legs... I've gotten the sense from some reading that it's related to inflammation but I'm not sure why it's concentrated there.

Dolly, that's quite an accomplishment to get a German shepherd to 18 years of age!! Sorry that he had it so bad at the end.

I have similar concerns about Chris because I really can't carry him at 60 pounds. To me, the heartbreak of losing control of the back end is that it takes away quality of life at a time when they are not necessarily mentally ready to call it quits. Scott was telling me that Moria was barking in frustration the other day because she wanted to get up and couldn't and she wanted someone to come help her!

I'm glad Chief was able to come and live with you. That's the best gift you could give him.

Quote:
Aw, this post is making me sad, hard with the older doggies, and the big ones their legs just go, my medium sized dog got the bad legs to, but she could get around better, I guess because she didn't weigh as much.

Nothing you can do, and you feel helpless. It never gets any easier no matter how many dogs you have had.

God I miss my dogs more than people, can't help it, people P me off!!
No doubt we come to these forums because the best people are the ones who treat their animals right. The ones who have earned their critters' love instead of just being given it despite abuse or neglect.

It is sad to think about all this and I try not to stay in "this place" for too much of the day. When Chris feels good, I feel good. When he feels bad, I feel worse. Today he's somewhere in the middle.

Natalie
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 AM
Founding Member

Hi Natalie,

Just checking to see how Chris is doing? Sorry he's been having some problems. Positive thoughts being sent to him. Hugs to the two of you.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Founding Member

I'm checking in too - just wondering how the 'ol boy is doing?

It's okay to whine a bit Natalie - especially here! We've all been there and know the difficulites that we face when our loved ones get old! It's so hard and these guys just don't live long enough! I look back at Taffy's healthy days and they make me smile - she was so full of vim and vigor.

I filled out a pet-foster application FINALLY! It took me long enough because of my hurting heart - going for orientation Thursday evening - and will see how it goes from there. The group is getting so many nice dogs being relinquished because of the economy and losing their homes - the animals have got to go! I can see me failing this whole FOSTERING concept big time. But I'll try....the worst that can happen is that I end up with a nice dog! LOL Steve will strangle me! He is trying to be supportive of me doing this....but keeps telling me you can do this - but we're not keeping any!!!

Hugs to Chris, Gus, and Katie! Jody
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Administrator

You all said I could whine, so here goes (it's a doozy)...

I've been down with a nasty flu bug combined with some kind of muscle spasm on one side above the right hip that makes walking painful and only some sitting and lying positions halfway comfortable. The two together are making me really cranky!!

Chris has been panting like a fiend and making me anxious. I gave him a Lasix today and he seems a little perkier but then I worry about killing his kidneys. His BG is fine, his heart rate remains high but not astronomical... I can only guess that he's winded and uncomfortable from the chronic lung inflammation and/or the enlarged heart pressing on his larynx as the Lasix does seem to help. I've read that it can help the lungs even before it manages to reduce any fluid buildup. It's the first one I've given in three days.

So the dog's freaking me out, my relatives are driving me crazy, I feel like crap on multiple levels, and I had to drive 20 miles to take Gus in for a blood draw. They're checking his blood for calcium levels, potential anemia from the chemo, and whatever else might show up. Gus seems lethargic. Not miserable but not content either. At least excretory systems seem to be functioning.

Bleah...

I've also been sad as I stopped by the CDMB and so many of Chris' "buddies" - dogs who were there when we joined or whose owners I had more of a connection with - have lost the fight in the last few weeks.

Kind of sorry I started this....

But I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.

Natalie
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Founding Member

Darn! I almost missed this whole "whining post!" I want in on it too!!!!

Nat, I know how you feel when you say you feel better when Chris feels better. Don't need the flu/muscle spasm thing on top of pets that don't feel well. I know if I have a headache day it's a lot better timing if the critters are all feeling OK.

What does the vet say about what Gus might be feeling with the chemo? Do they have nausea? Lght headedness? Maybe just the BLAHS????

I'm lucky, Bubba is acting ike his old self, feisty, picking on others, running and sailing over the gate we have between the dining room and kitchen. I really would like to get that on video one day, something to look back on. He is so graceful. It's not a jump, it's flying and going an extra 6 feet. It makes me smile.

Oh Chris. You've been through so much.

I've been sad too with the recent pet loss. Way too many, that's for sure.

Wishing you all a feel better day tomorrow, one that lasts and lasts.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Hey Denise, please feel free to whine here! I hate to do it alone.

I'm feeling better finally. Chris goes up and down daily. Some days okay, some not so good.

I've been experimenting with different types of carbs to give him since he tends not to want to eat the pasta unless it's covered in tri-tip juice, which kind of defeats the purpose of a mild diet... have actually been using cheesy crackers this week. He's definitely in favor of those. And I picked up a different kind of vitamin supplement as a tablet that so far I've been able to get him to eat so I don't have to use the powder.

Tried some kibble yesterday (Avoderm) but they never seem to work well for Chris. He likes it but his blood sugar goes a lot higher even though it's the same number of calories as the rice or pasta. I bought a sample size bag of Pinnacle kibble too and probably will be experimenting for a while.

All this is combined 50/50 with chicken.

He just seems to be tired of the mush consistency of canned food and cottage cheese so I'm trying to find something chewy or crunchy, which he likes a lot better.

Will post about Gus over on his thread.

Natalie
Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Jody!

You were on my mind with Shiner's plight going on... I was looking at the map thinking... Jody's not so far away!!

I'm very excited to hear that you've applied to foster!! I'm fairly certain I'd fail right into pet ownership but someday we might try it so we can be more mobile. I'd take Shiner in a heart beat if I could. I've just got a thing for black and white dogs especially, and cats!

I think you should take Betty's approach when her hubby said "It's me or the dog" and she said "It's been a nice 15 years, dear, but you knew who I was when you married me!" After all, if a dog makes you happy, that's what's important!!

Some of us need them to be happy.

Natalie
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 AM
Founding Member

Quoting Nat

"So the dog's freaking me out, my relatives are driving me crazy, I feel like crap on multiple levels"

LOL, I hear ya, Nat just whine away, I fear this week or next week will be Chiefs time, he's getting that look, GDMT!! I can't stand it, and my relatives make me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!!!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday