Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Chris - 14 years old - Cancer diagnosed July 08

Quote:
B vitamins liquid that he loves the taste of but boy it smells!
Denise, Chris was starting to refuse his Metacam liquid so I mixed it with the contents of a fish oil capsule and now he laps it up... his breath could knock you over afterward.
___

Today was not Chris' best day. It's hot and a little smoky so that's probably not helping. He's not panting, just lethargic and low energy. He actually had a good weekend and has only been blah that past 36 hours or so.

Hard to know if the Amantadine is why he's down in the dumps. I'll give it a few more days and if he doesn't perk up I'll drop it and see if that helps.

I do think the Amantadine is relieving some of his back pain so I hope it isn't bothering his stomach or causing a sensitivity reaction.

His kidney values aren't great either. His creatinine went up to 3.1 (from 2.1 in April) and the BUN went to 57 (from 34 in April) plus his urine specific gravity dropped from 1.038 to 1.021, which is marginal. Maybe mostly the little bit of Lasix he has. He was drinking and urinating more at that point when the tests were done than he is now.

Have been trying to arrange for someone who can do an at home euthanasia if it comes to that. I talked to a mobile vet yesterday who is willing and able and seems nice and I'm hoping to check the situation out with vets I know just to be sure there's no problem with that person as a resource. I hope we won't have to do it but want to be prepared so we can do it at home if we have to do it. It would require some time to arrange.

Ugh...

I don't like days like today when he's down in the dumps. His heart rate this morning was 231. It's like some twisted race to see which organ fails first.

Every time I talked to someone about it today, I made it through the conversation, hung up the phone, and then lost it.

Natalie
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Founding Member

Natalie,
I do understand about the down days and how hard it can be. I am hoping you can have lots of the good ones to enjoy. You are amazingly strong but nobody can keep a brave face on all the time, it has a habit of slipping when you least expect it.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Founding Member

Oh Nat I know you are not Ok, I don't know what to say and know how heartbreaking all of this is.

Just checking in on you and Chris
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Last edited by eyelostit; 07-23-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Founding Member

Natalie,

I feel like I'm right there beside you. I know how hard this is. I sat down beside Crissy Ann this morning and gave her shot and just the way she looked at me, started my tears. I told her how very much I loved her and that if she felt it was time to go meet Dinky, it was OK and she should just go. That 'Mommy' would be alright. That I'd have a broken heart but would love her until the day I died.

I so hope that neither you nor I will have to make that final call.

Hope Chris perks up and has a wonderful day and can enjoy a hammie.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Crissy
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Founding Member

Good Morning Natalie: Thinking of you this morning and reading your updates. I'm one who likes to be prepared also, so good that you are making those phone calls. It was so hard to make that dreaded decision when I looked at Taffy each day - and when I knew on that fateful day that it was here - I had to do it quickly, so opted to take her in. She was pretty mobile at the time, which helped alot.

I remember making those calls too - I hung up on many people because of that lump in my throat that just appeared out of no where.

Scritches to Chris - I hope he has a good day, and you too! Love, Jody
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Founding Member

Hi Natalie,
I'm just checking in after being off the forum for a few weeks and I'm so sorry to hear about what you've been going through. I hope you don't have to make the decision....I hope Chris just goes peacefully and painlessly. I'll check back more often and will be praying for your family,
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Founding Member

Just wanted to say we are thinking of you. Another friend of mine found out her 11 year old lab has malignant melanoma yesterday. What the heck? Are we just going to see more and more disease in our human friends AND our pets?

Spend as much time with him as you can, cherish every good moment and memory.

(((HUG)))
Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Founding Member

Hi Natalie,

Just checking to see how Chris and you are doing today. Keeping the two of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you and Chris.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I feel like I'm right there beside you. I know how hard this is. I sat down beside Crissy Ann this morning and gave her shot and just the way she looked at me, started my tears. I told her how very much I loved her and that if she felt it was time to go meet Dinky, it was OK and she should just go. That 'Mommy' would be alright. That I'd have a broken heart but would love her until the day I died.
Bonnie... I do sometimes feel like Chris and Crissy Ann are walking down the same path... I know how hard that was to say to Crissy.

Chris has had a miserable week. Every day since Monday a little worse. Today he did go for a hammie and a stumble around the nearby grass. I stopped the Amantadine this afternoon to see if that helps and gave him Lasix for the coughing. Restless all night last night, wheezing, coughing. Heart rate high.

Will see if skipping the Amantadine this afternoon has any effect. The theory is that the coughing, etc. is all just upper airway stuff, maybe laryngeal, and not critical but it seems to have a big impact on his comfort, which makes it critical.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear Chris is not doing well and send my heartfelt wishes that he's able to get more comfortable. I know how exhausting it can be to cope from day to day, and will keep you both in my thoughts.