Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Insulin

Insulin Kinds of insulin, action profiles, use in dogs, where to buy, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Relion N will be Humulin N

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100622-712043.html

Wall Street Journal June 22, 2010

Wal-Mart Changes Insulin Partners

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) is changing partners in its RediOne insulin, moving to Eli Lilly & Co. (LLY) from Novo Nordisk A/S (NVO, NOVO-B.KO), the other big global insulin maker.

Lilly's Humulin will be co-branded under Wal-Mart's ReliOn stable of diabetes products, which include glucose meters and test strips.

The move doesn't appear to be tied to Wal-Mart's stepped-up "rollback" strategy in which the retailer is vigorously cutting prices on many items. Wal-Mart will set the price but hasn't done so yet, although Eli Lilly believes the cost will be comparable to the current ReliOn offering, Lilly spokesman J. Scott Macgregor said.

Novo had produced this W-M line of insulins since it began in 2000,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Wow... after all the discussion, looks like Relion N will be Humulin N in the fut

Noodle is currently on the Eli Lilly version of Humulin N. This could be interesting for us. I tried the ReliOn insulin with Noodle last year and his numbers shot up. Switched back to Eli Lilly version from Walgreen's and back down they went. Tried it again a few months later - same problem. We never did figure out if it was something in the ReliOn that doesn't work well for Noodle, or a supply/handling issue at our Walmart.

I'd be willing to give it another shot (pun not intended, lol) when they make the switch, knowing it's the same brand he is already successfully using. Does this mean even the inert ingredients should stay the same?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Wow... after all the discussion, looks like Relion N will be Humulin N in the fut

Quote:
Does this mean even the inert ingredients should stay the same?
My understanding is that the product is exactly the same. It's just the marketing/contract with the company that allows it to be sold under the name Relion at lower cost.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Just a bump up on this.

Natalie
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Funny thing...when I asked my Walmart pharmacist a question regarding this change over this morning he had no idea what I was talking about.

He thanked me and said he would look into it so to be informed.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

A member reported that her local Walmart had Relion N on backorder, possibly because of the switch to Humulin as the provider of Relion. So beware of potential backorder problems with the inexpensive version.

That Walmart still had name brand Novolin in stock at almost $30 more per bottle.

Natalie
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 AM

I went to WalMart yesterday to get some Novolin N and syringes; "no stock" and no idea when NPH insulin will be available. The clerk and pharmacist had no idea why it was pulled from stock?!

It looked like their supply of Relion syringes were dwindling as well. I got the last box of 3/10's.

Harry & Fergy.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Talking Re: Wow... after all the discussion, looks like Relion N will be Humulin N in the fut

Syringes too! Gosh, Harry, I'm glad you got a box; I'm sure Fergy greatly appreciates that!

Too bad it's still not even mid-July, and that ReliOn-Novolin-N seems to be disappearing - this could be a bit rough on a lot of people and dogs!

Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:14:25 (PDT)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 AM

It's never been unusual for one of my local Walmarts to be out of the syringes I need, I think it must be bad organization on the part of whoever reorders stock as another Walmart across town is never without.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Relion N will be Humulin N; Changeover is causing shortages of Relion N

Hi All,
We just wanted to let you know that the insulin out of stock issue should be over. All distribution centers received a fresh shipment on Friday, so perhaps just give your local store a ring to make sure they have received it.

This is not due to the impending change to Humulin, rather just unexpected popularity. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

If you have any questions or comments in the future, let us know on Facebook (ReliOn) or Twitter (@ReliOnDiabetes).

Thanks for all of your support!
Closed Thread