Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Angelina 13.5 year old/13kg Maltese Cross on Trilostane

Hi John,

We use gluco/condroit w/msm here, too. I don't thing any of the ingredients should be an issue, even with the Trilo on board.

About diet...most of the books and info you find on the web is geared toward healthy dogs and the info that isn't, is often too generic. It is always best when dealing with an ill pup to have a diet designed especially for your pup based on her particulars. Here are two ladies I would recommend:

Catherine Lane
http://www.thepossiblecanine.com/

Monica Segal
http://www.monicasegal.com/

They both have discussion groups, too, which you can join and learn a lot about diet and nutrition in general.

Cat’s discussion group
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/T...ine-Nutrition/

Monica’s discussion group
http://www.doggiedietician.com/aboutus/discussions.php

Monica has two books that I would recommend over anything else out there that I have seen so far. They are Optimal Nutrition and The K9 Kitchen.

We had a thread on Diet and Nutrition at the old site and I need to get it started here again. So, thanks for the nudge, guys!

I am more than happy to help with diet where I can, but my knowledge is very limited at the moment and the more I learn the more I don't know. Nutrition is a very complicated subject if you want to do it correctly, especially when dealing with pups that have health issues. For example, someone here said their vet told them that all dogs really need is protein and carbs. Wrong. Carbohydrates are not listed as a dietary requirement for dogs by the NRC (National Research Council) which is the unbiased source for canine nutrition. (The AAFCO is an organization that was developed by and reports to the dog food manufacturing industry, so their recommendations are geared to meet the approval of the industry.) In the wild, canids eat the whole prey usually, meaning they eat the stomach and gut of their kill, including the content thereby providing a limited source of carbs. The key nutrients for dogs are protein and fats. Don't get me wrong, carbs are important to the functioning of the body, but it doesn't take much to let the body do what it needs. Carbs are more important to true omnivores, but the dog is not a true omnivore even tho they can eat and digest plant materials to some degree.

Ok, I'm rambling.

The supplement you got should be fine.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 AM

Thanks Leslie!

I'd gone to the pharmacy and bought a jar of Glucosamine tablets first. Then went to the supermarket and checked out their range - finding the multi-supplement powder. It was actually thanks to reading your thread that I thought the Glucosamine, MSM & Chondroitin powder would be a better choice - since you were using something similar. It wasn't until I got home and read all the other things in it and wasn't sure. It was the boron that threw me!

And as usual - thanks for the links - got some reading to do!

Angelina had a pretty good day - that pain shot the other day may have made all the difference. She broke into a trot on a few occasions

Her water intake has been pretty low the last 2 days only 520mls yesterday and 460mls today... there's still an hour worth of today left - but since she's already gone to bed - that may be it for her today.

Thanks for taking the time to do all the rambling - you can never ramble too much for me!

Hugs for you and the girls
John & Angelina
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 AM

Hi John,

I'm glad Angelina had a good day yesterday and that the pain shot has given her some relief.

I'm being a worrywart here but since your vet recommended glucosamine and the powder contains several "extras" I'd recommend checking the product out with your vet for his approval just to be on the safe side.

Give Angelina some extra pets from me!

Louise
Old 05-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Hi Louise,

I am also a worrywart (and a twitcher ) and popped into the Vet's yesterday. Who, after glancing at the container for a second said it should be fine.

I've yet to figure out the Vet roster - I was hoping to talk to the nice one - but got the evil one . Well I suppose he's not actually evil. He's just not the nice one.

Today I started the 2nd attempt of the 12 hour 20mg dosing of Trilostane. A quarter dose of the Glucosamine, MSM & Chondroitin powder mixed in with food. And the contents of a fish oil capsule mixed in with another meal.

Now I just have to figure out a time to give her some milk thistle!

Thanks for keeping an eye on us,

John & Angelina.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 AM

I have to admit that I’ve been avoiding reading the updates of forum members who have announced the passing of their Cush Pups. Because I’m trying to keep positive and not think about the eventual outcome of Angelina’s story.

But recently I did look over the list of losses for 2009.

I was saddened to see how many have “crossed the bridge” just this year alone.

But what shocked me most was that among those who have lost so much and so recently, were those who have taken the time in the midst of their grief to lead me by the hand and guide me through my own fear and confusion.

I just find this level of kindness and selflessness amazing. So I just wanted to stop, take a moment and say thank you so much for all of your help! You are all doing so much to help Angelina and me and to restore my faith in humanity. It means more to me than I can say.

I would have been John the Bald without you all .
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Founding Member

John,

I know what you mean....the people here do restore your faith in humanity! It is the best place on earth!

When I lost Scooter right after Christmas, I wasn't sure what I would do. But then, I still have Bailey who also has Cushing's. But more importantly, if something happens to Bailey, I can't not seem myself being here. We like to think of it as "paying it forward"....we each got help when it was our turn, we still need help, and so we help whoever we can as much as we can.

I found this place, or the old board and now this place, to be a place where there would be meaning for my pups and their stories. I was so upset when they were diagnosed with Cushing's...I questioned "why?"....and this is a way to give meaning and purpose to that question....so maybe I can help someone else who is struggling. That through their battle, and then through me, will their lives and struggles bring even more meaning than the scope to which their lives have brought just to me.

I hope this makes sense. I'm still very tired, LOL. When a pup loses a battle, it upsets us all tremendously...but we go on to help those who come after us as we were helped by all of those who came before us.

Sending lots of hugs....Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie
Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 AM

Speaking of one of the devils!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Hi John the Grey,
Just checking in and see that Angelina is doing better. Hope you continue to see improvements.

And Yes, it's great to exchange idea's, information, experiences, stories and sometimes just vent with our frustrations. As I have said before, Roxee wouldn't be here today if I didn't have the help and support of cc.net and Natalie's support through k9diabetes site.

It's good to be able to communicate with "like minded" people.

Belly rubs to Angelina.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Founding Member

Who?? MOI???? A devil??

Naaah...just ask Scott! He'll vouch for me!!!

Now you keep your hair....I have enough gray hair to cover you though just in case....seems I have earned it over the last year!

Hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Hello All,

I need an icon for "frustrated".

Angelina has had her 3rd 12 hourly dose of 20mg of Trilostane and I'm sure she already seems weaker than she has been in recent days (too much Trilostane or too little?). She's been spending a lot of time lying on the cooler floors - including getting up in the middle of the night to do so (too little Trilostane?).

Her water consumption yesterday was only 400mls (too much Trilostane?) (although so far today - to 2pm - she has already drunk 290mls). I just watched her walk from the kitchen to the loungeroom and she was doing the "every foot is an individual" thing (too much Trilostane?) .

Now I'm wondering if I should give her the 7pm dose of 20mg or revert to the 30mg dose at 7am and just continue with the 24 hour dosing? I'm getting a lot of mixed signals from her and she still refuses to tell me how she's feeling. How much easier that would be!

John & Angelina