Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed

It would be so great if she quit after she is done loading and has normal levels. Seems like it got worse since last year. She always did lick my husband - more like the submissive lick the alpha male thing. The other dogs do it too but she is obnoxious!!

Tammy and Kallie
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Founding Member

Hi Tammy,

I just got lucky I guess having two! Scooter was diagnosed first and then Bailey 6 weeks later. Scooter was so sick at the time that it was so obvious something was really wrong with him. Bailey not so much. So by the time I got done loading and stabilizing Scooter, I noticed Bailey drinking and peeing more and thought hhmmmm....they aren't related except through our hearts so it wasn't a genetic thing.

Scooter would have made his two-year mark this past February with Cushing's. I had to make the final decision the day after Christmas when he collapsed after a morning bath. Rushed him to the vet and found out his heart was very enlarged. He had multiple issues, severe allergies, severe arthritis, and this huge heart....and was really not having the best quality to his life. And I didn't want him to collapse like that when he would be all alone if I was at work and so I made the decision to let him go.

Bailey just celebrated his two-year anniversary. He is having some issues now but mostly related to his arthritis and hip dysplasia. So we just make every day special and I count my blessings!

If you see the slow down eating, that may be your sign. Both boys just hesitated for a millisecond which for them was unusual. My gut thought uh-oh. They loaded very very quickly and the vet thought I was nuts. But they were loaded! I was right. You don't want to go until Kallie is sick so if she hesitates again or seems to have a problem eating, I would take her to be checked. The teeth thing can sure complicate matters and I feel for you!!! I understand about balancing the expenses of all of this. We do the best we can. I am limited on what and how much I can do, so truly I understand.

Hang in there....loading is the pits but I know you can both do it!!!
Hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scooter
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM

Kallie ate slower yesterday, and last night at 2:30 am she woke up trying to vomit. Nothing came out. She tried 3 times in about an hour. I gave her some tagament (previously prescribed for her when she had a back injury when on steriods, so I thought it would be okay). I thought maybe she'd feel better this morning but it's the same or worse. I did call the vet little after 7 and he said give her the prednisone. That was around 7:40am. I'm waiting for it to kick in. Hopefully that's what the problem is. He said he will test her tomorrow morning. She didn't even want it smeared in moist cat food (her favorite). We had to put it down the back of her throat. My husband was freaking out a little bit but I knew just what to do because of all of you. He seems scared to see her like this but I am being really calm. Thank you all so much - i would have been freaking out right now.

Tammy and Kallie
Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Does anyone know the dosage amount of prednisone for a 9 lb dog? He told me to give her one pill - it is 2.5mg.

Thanks,

Tammy
Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 AM

She had no reaction to the 2.5 mg of prednisone so the vet had me bring her in right away. They did an x-ray because she seemed to be having a hard time breathing and one of her lungs is filled up. They don't know if she has pneumonia or a mass in there. They kept her for a couple hours to give her a water pill to clear it up to see if they can see anything in there and also to give her a stim test - they want to know how far along she is loading. She might be done. We are hoping for little high right now (instead of too low) since she needs antibiotics and i guess if she is low it would be harder to treat?? They don't think the two are related but its hard to know. Wow what a crazy night and morning. My poor husband is so upset so I have to be the strong one.

They think if all goes well she will be feeling fine this afternoon, if they can get some water out of her lung. Hopefully it's not more. I can pick her up at 2pm.

Tammy and Kallie
Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Hi Tammy,
Just wanted to drop in and let you know I (we) are keeping Kallie in our thought's and prayers. Hope she recovers soon and it's nothing too serious.

Please keep us updated.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Hi Tammy,

Just read your post about Kallie's difficulties. Hoping that your vet will have some definite answers for your soon and that Kallie will be back home and on the road to recovery.

Thinking positive thoughts for Kallie. Give her some extra pets from me!

Louise
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Interim CC

Tammy,

I missed the excitement as I was out of town yesterday. Hope all is back to normal. Please note that if the vet does an acth test within 48 hrs of having been given prednisone the results might be a little off... the prednisone is mimicking the cortisol so the results would be LOWER. I hope this is making sense. I'm at work and can't chat. I just wanted to send a hug. Hope she is loaded and feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

Kim
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed - she passed

I'm so sorry to tell everyone that Kallie passed away. I just got home from the vet. They found that her lung was filled up with fluid and were going to give her something to get rid of that and antibiotics and send her home. The medicine didn't work and they don't know why. When I went to pick her up they were going to send her home with me. She wasnt much different from this morning, but not worse. As I was sitting there waiting for the vet to come in she got way worse. They were counting on her getting better in the next couple hours. She didn't even hold her head up anymore. She had a very hard time breathing, and the vet said there was no chance for her at that point, so we figured it would be best to put her to sleep so she could stop suffering. They said she would have died on her own really soon.

This past year because of her age and heath related problems I made sure I did not take her for granted, not one day. Cuz I knew that when this happened I could look back at all those memories.

Thank you everyone for all your help the past month. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I will still be around keeping up on everyones stories.

Tammy
Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 PM

Oh, Tammy....I am so, so sorry to read that your Kallie has passed away. My heart aches for you. I am at an absolute loss for words.

Peace, sweet Kallie.

With deepest sympathy,

Louise