Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Newly diagnosed, our beloved Buddy

Hi Karen,

I'd have to say your vet just did you a big favor. It's good that you found out about her now rather than later. She is obviously very insecure. You have no use for people like her in your life. Good luck finding a really, really good vet for Buddy. They're out there.

Ken
Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 PM

All I can say is I am stunned. Sorry your ex-vet refused to take advantage of a free research assistant. What ever you decide to do, don't hesitate to get all your vet records and test results. You paid for them and have a right to them.

Don't be afraid to interview vets and even if you can't find one with experience, ask them if they are willing to work with you as a team to help your Buddy. He deserves the best you can find for him. Be strong for Buddy.

We will be keeping good thoughts and prayers for you and Buddy.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Chris' cardiologist, knowing I was big on researching things myself, asked me to do some research to see if there was a documented starting dose for Plavix in the literature! (There wasn't for dogs) I love her for that, among other things.

What really struck me looking back is that Buddy was diagnosed just a week ago... how could she be so ticked off in a week!

Seriously...

Natalie
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Interim CC

I think the ticked-offness comes from issues with regards Dolly the pup with mega-esophagus and now suffering from aspiration pneumonia. Good thing Karen found out about this vets views now rather than half way into Cushing's treatment! Not that being left in the lurch (and so unpleasantly!) now with Dolly being ill is ok, but still....

Alison
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Ah yes, at least there's been more time involved! Still no excuse but makes more "sense".

I don't know anything about mega-esophagus but I do know that you need a vet you can work with for Cushings and all are right that it's better not to even start down this road with this one.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM

God bless each one of you!!! You don't know how MUCH your replies have meant to me! First you all came to my support when I found out about Buddy having Cushing's, which was very upsetting in itself. Then to have my vet send me that letter today. (And for her to dump me right when Dolly is fighting for her life, too!) I just don't know how I would've gotten through today without you all!

Fortunately I had an appointment with my therapist today - yes, you can call me "crazy" if you want - but I'll openly admit I deal with Depression and have all my life. I asked my doctor, "If you diagnosed someone with Depression and she joined an online support group or researched the condition online, would you be offended?" She responded as many of you did. Absolutely not, that she'd see that as a pro-active and healthy thing to do.

I was worried after I fired off my post to this group. Since I've only been on here one week, and I thought you might figure I was demanding, rude or otherwise did something to provoke this vet's response. But believe me, my therapist, (who has known me a long time) says I'm one of the meekest, most UN-demanding, overly-polite people she knows. In fact, she has been working with me to be more assertive. She, (and you) have helped me not take this vet's letter too personally and to realize it's HER problem, not mine. She gave me some good advice, though. She said for me to pick up the dogs' records myself, rather than have HER send them to the new vet, because if she's upset with me, she might "influence" the new vet's opinion of me.

You're all very right, I'm lucky to find out about this vet's attitude NOW before she did further damage to my beloved dogs. I just wish she would've TOLD me she had a problem with this way back when I told her I had found a support group for Dolly's illness. I can handle someone being upset with me, but to take it out on my babies!!! (In fact, this is her THIRD strike with me). I was already considering changing vets because she has done so little to help Dolly.

And Strike One was when I took my (now deceased) dog, Minnie to her for what I thought was a Urinary Tract Infection. Minnie was straining to pee, yet they made her wait 2 weeks before I could bring her in for a urinalysis. We were leaving on vacation, so I left Minnie to be tested and treated. They called me and said they needed to do a "sterile urine test", (withdrawing urine directly from her bladder with a syringe). I said, "Yes, please go ahead and do that." When I got back from vacation a week later and picked Minnie up, the receptionist told me they wanted me to bring her back in another 1 1/2 weeks for the sterile needle urinalysis. I said, "I thought you were going to do that while she was being boarded here." The receptionist said, "But we had to wait to get your permission." (Which I had given over the phone and also signed a paper before I left guaranteeing payment for whatever Minnie needed). I think they just forgot to do it. I said, "Don't I need to take some meds home to be giving her?" She said they hadn't been doing ANYTHING to treat her yet. Then when they finally did the needle test, they decided she needed exploratory surgery and made her wait another 2 + weeks. Her surgery day came and I took her in, but when I went to pick her up they had not done her surgery because they had a cat who was sick and needed their only oxygen tube, so they would have to put Minnie's surgery off for another two weeks! By the time they finally had time to "help" her, she had a cancerous tumor that was too far along to be removed.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you ALL for listening and being here and understanding and being so supportive! I just can't tell you enough how much you helped me out today!

Bless you and your doggie babies!
Karen
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakesie View Post
yes, you can call me "crazy" if you want - but I'll openly admit I deal with Depression and have all my life. I asked my doctor, "If you diagnosed someone with Depression and she joined an online support group or researched the condition online, would you be offended?" She responded as many of you did. Absolutely not, that she'd see that as a pro-active and healthy thing to do.
I don't think you're crazy, Karen. I think that you are a very bright and a very loving person.

How is Dolly doing? Have you found another Vet yet?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM

Thanks, hon!

I'm not crazy, I just love our doggie babies like crazy! LOL

I called one vet today and left a message on their answering machine but it may have been too late in the day by then. I'll try calling around tomorrow. I've been online all evening searching to see if I can find reviews on vets in our area, but hardly anyone has written any reviews.

I would encourage everyone to please go online and put in a good review for all the excellent vets out there. I know there are many who truly care and are wonderful with animals. (Also, please warn others of any bad experiences you've had, too). I'm going to. The poor animals can't speak in their defense, so we must speak up for them! And it will be so helpful for people who move to your town to know how to find a good veterinarian.

Thanks again to everyone for being there for me today. It was a very upsetting day, but thanks to all of you, I feel much better now.

Karen
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Hi Karen,

Like everyone else I am shocked by the treatment you have received. You are well rid of that patronising and sarcastic vet. We are all trying to do the best for our dogs and even though I am not as knowledgeable as alot on here I have still been able to tell my vet some things they didn't know. I don't expect them to be an expert on every disease and realise that they sometimes have to research things just as we are doing.

Don't take it personally, it is her that has the problem, not you. I would pick the test results up yourself so she doesn't have the opportunity to influence your next vet.

Good Luck in finding a more compassionate and experienced vet.

Linda and Spicey
Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 AM

Hi Karen,
So sorry to hear how your vet treated you. I know exactly how you feel. I was with my vet for 20 years when he dx Harley with cushings and when I asked him to run an U/S, he sent me and Harley on our way. He did, at least, give us a recommendation to the Univ. of Penn.
As far as finding a new vet, I pulled out the phone book and started making phone calls and actually interviewing vets. I did find one that I really like, actually I found two. So they are out there and they are willing to work with you and this forum, actually my new vet is happy that I have this forum.
I know it's hard Karen, but keep your chin up and I'll be praying for you.

Take care,
Harley and Lori