Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Newly diagnosed, our beloved Buddy

Hi Karen,

Glad to hear from you this morning and to know that you are dealing with this rudeness quite well!

As for crazy, well, if battling depression makes one crazy, count me in! That is something I have dealt with all my life, so I know where you are coming from. I actually have many other qualifications for "crazy", too! Sanity is so boring! And when you're old and crazy, you can get away with lots of stuff!

The best of luck in finding a good vet, your babies sure deserve better than they have gotten and so do you! We're here if you need us!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Interim CC

Hi Karen,

I don’t know if you’re still on the look-out for a new vet, but I was thinking the following:

1) As Linda has suggested, “I would pick the test results up yourself so she doesn't have the opportunity to influence your next vet.” – actually, pick-up your pups’ whole files (or copies of them).
2) When you interview the new vets, tell them up front that you do research on-line about whatever ails your pups and find out from the get go how they feel about it. Explain to them why you do this - it's not because you are scrutinizing them, but because:
- you do not expect them to be an expert at everything
- you do not expect them to be abreast of everything new test, techinique, protocol, etc. for everything
- this is a way for you (as the parent) to be more informed and helps you to understand and make informed decisions
- think of me (you, Karen) as someone who will do research for you for free (someone else had posted something to this affect, but I don’t remember who)

Good luck in the search!

BTW – I think everyone has some amount of depression – Just like I think everyone has smoe amoutn of dyselxia – some people realize it, some don’t; some admit to it, some won’t. I wondered when Head & Shoulders came out with the “Dry Scalp” shampoo…was that for people who couldn’t admit that they have dandruff? So they could say, “Oh no, I don’t have dandruff, I just have dry scalp”. And I know for a fact, that everyone here is crazy when it comes to our pups!

-Susy
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi Karen,

I just wanted to say hi and echo what many others have said- You and your pups deserve so much better than the shabby and unprofessional treatment you received from that vet!

What I really don't get is how a vet could possibly discourage someone from any effort to be well-informed when it comes to caring for a Cushings dog. Of all the ailments out there, this is one which requires the owner to be the most attentive & educated about the disease, its diagnosis and treatment. Just about everything our vets know about our dog's symptoms, response to medication, etc comes from what we report to them. I relied so much on the great folks on this forum to help me get through my dog Joe's Lysodren loading last month and they were a tremendous resource.

You certainly are due for some good luck and I hope it comes your way in the form of a great, knowledgeable and compassionate vet to care for your furries.

Reading this thread makes me want to send my vet a big box of chocolates- he's the best! And would never dream of discouraging me from learning more about this disease. Yay for good vets! And poo on the other ones

Hang in there, we're all pullin' for ya!

Hugs from Karen & Joe
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Good luck in finding a new vet for your pups. The old one isn't worthy of them .

Virginia and Maggie
Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 AM

I just can't thank all of you enough! Every time I come to this site more people have written in support of me! WOW! I really needed it, too. I took a nose-dive after recieving the Vet's letter. I got pretty depressed and stayed home Thursday & Friday and just spent time with my doggies, caring for them, loving them, and sleeping with them. But Monday I'm gearing up to go out Veterinarian shopping. I appreciate all the wonderful comments on how to look for a new vet.

I do believe in being up front about my struggles with Depression because it's an illness just like any other human illness and I want to do whatever I can to dispell the stigma attached to it. A lot of it is bio-chemically caused and it isn't just a "personal weakness" or something you can tell yourself to get over. So thanks for accepting that aspect of me, as well.

Back to my doggies. I called and asked the receptionist how soon I could pick up the dogs' complete charts and she said she didn't know, they'd have to make copies, probably not before Friday. Friday came and went and no word from them, so Monday I am going to call them again. I'm not a very assertive person, but when it comes to the well-being of my doggies or my child, I can get tough if I need to.

Finding another vet: I'm worried because we live in a small town and the vets work together, taking turns being on emergency call, and such. I'm afraid that this vet may have bad-mouthed me to the other vets in town.

Someone on here said something about "if you have to mend fences with this vet". My first impulse was to write her back as sarcastic and angry a letter as she had written me. But that won't help my doggies and it won't solve anything. I will NOT EVER go back to that vet (except to pick up the dogs' records). But I am thinking my best move would be to bite my tongue, take the high road and write her a nice letter, thanking her for what she has done for my dogs, and apologizing for offending her. Then I'll put her letter to me and my response to her in with my dogs' records for the new vets to see. Hopefully they will be able to see that she was being unreasonable and that I met her rude response with only kindness back.

Her husband was on call last Wednesday when I got the letter and had called about Dolly's high temperature and her being out of anti-biotics. To his credit, he did call in a prescription for Keflex for her to a human pharmacy so I could get her back on antibiotics. So she is a little better now. I was truly afraid she was going to die on Wednesday!

Buddy is still in the early stages of Cushing's, newly diagnosed, so I think I have a few days leeway to find a new vet.

I just wanted to update you on how our dogs are doing and let you know how much you helped me. I am doing better now, thanks to all of your kind words and support!

Bless you and your doggies!!!
Karen, Saralisa, Buddy and Dolly

P.S. I will add photos of Dolly on my album, too.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Founding Member

I am reading this letter and shocked. I can't believe that she wrote this!!!! Sounds to me that she is a jerk. I wonder if you could send the letter to the vet board?I don't think she deserves a written reply. I would do it in person. Be respectful yet firm. It would make you feel better. I am sure. Tell her that you wanted to work as a team and that you don't understand why she doesn't want to include you. She should welcome your questions no matter where you got the info.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 AM

Wow! Does this make my English/Welsh/Polish/Russian blood boil! What really blows my mind is that the vet put it in writing. Can't take back what you put in writing!!!!!

Leaving that practice is a blessing and I hope you quickly find someone you can trust and communicate with regarding the care of your precious babies.

Lyn
Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Karen,

Reading you last post, I believe you are doing it the right way. Take the high road and write a nice response letter.

As far as spreading the word, you might be surprised to learn that if she does, the other vets might actually think less of her and more of you. She would probably do herself more harm than good. Once she recieves you response letter, she will probably and may already be regretting writing that sarcastic letter.

YOU GO GIRL!!!

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM

Just reading your thread....It's obvious that your former vet is more interested in her own ego than in finding the right treatment for your dog! In a way she did you a favor
by revealing her character flaw early in your cushings "jounney". Now you have a chance to find someone who is compassionate and has your dog's best interest at heart rather than her own ego!
Hang in there!! There are plenty of caring and wonderful practitioners out there!

with best wishes...
Dorothy and Mikey
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

My guess is that the rest of the vets in town already have her number if she's been around any time at all. Probably you're not the first client she's fired. I agree that her firing you might actually raise their opinion of you!

In a smaller town, she's going to run out of clients quickly at this rate...

Good luck... and I say make them cough up those records tomorrow!! After all they have put you through, it's the least they can do to preserve any shred of professionalism!!

Natalie