Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jenny 11 y/o Poodle

thanks Tara and Allison! I am waffling. Jenny tested negative for a UTI but positive for crystals.

She does do a funny hop sometimes when she is trying to urinate but with only being on the antibiotic for 2 days I am already seeing improvement that she is able to hold it till I come home again. (I try to get at home every 4-5 hours). Little dogs, little bladders.

Thanks to both of you for calming me down. The vet still hasn't called but I won't borrow trouble or x-rays till I have to. Poor Skye and the pain she was in. ow
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Gosh, I totally missed your thread when I was catching up before Judi. Calcium oxalate dihydrate crystals can form in stored urine if the sample sat awhile so keep that in mind. http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath...t/crystsed.htm Do you catch her samples at home? If so, be sure they are refrigerated and taken to the vet as soon as possible to avoid external storage as an issue.

Ali used to get struvite crystals as we struggled with keeping her pH to be less alkaline. Often they showed up with a UTI (again, chicken and egg as Allison said).

Do a google search for pHion test strips if you want to track her pH at home and see if that's a culprit. Although Calcium oxalate dihydrate cyrstals can occur at various pH levels and for different reasons.

pH will vary throughout the day. Typically the body is more acidic around 2-3am and more alkaline around 2-3pm. Here's an example of fluctuations within a day that I did on Ali once http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...5&postcount=40
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks Patty, I know you are way too educated on the UTI stuff. I caught it at home, refrigerated it immediately but had to keep it in my car at 33 degrees for about an hour.

Her vet just called she has both kinds of crystals just like Skye! lol

he thinks we caught it early and wants to put her back on WD and have me bring her in for a test then.

He said if I want we can do an ultrasound and then we would really know if she has stones.

So, I may hold off on the ph till the 2 weeks are up and we maybe have her down to just one type of crystal

thanks for the info though. I am poring over all of this doggy urine stuff now. fun times.

Originally posted by Patty View Post
        Gosh, I totally missed your thread when I was catching up before Judi. Calcium oxalate dihydrate crystals can form in stored urine if the sample sat awhile so keep that in mind. http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath...t/crystsed.htm Do you catch her samples at home? If so, be sure they are refrigerated and taken to the vet as soon as possible to avoid external storage as an issue.

Ali used to get struvite crystals as we struggled with keeping her pH to be less alkaline. Often they showed up with a UTI (again, chicken and egg as Allison said).

Do a google search for pHion test strips if you want to track her pH at home and see if that's a culprit. Although Calcium oxalate dihydrate cyrstals can occur at various pH levels and for different reasons.

pH will vary throughout the day. Typically the body is more acidic around 2-3am and more alkaline around 2-3pm. Here's an example of fluctuations within a day that I did on Ali once http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...5&postcount=40
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Anything you're adding to her food that might have tipped the calcium level over the top with the newer food?
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

yes, pure grain free turkey liver wellness core. she loves that stuff. I was adding 1 oz of that to 4 oz of the wellness core weight management to put some weight on her and she loves it.

all canned. no more wellness core canned.

The Humane Society is going to love me this month. I bought a couple of bags of kibble I haven't opened yet either!

Comment

Skye only had 1 type of crystals at a time so Jenny wins!

I would be suspicious at both types of crystals at the same time tho as they develop in very different conditions. I think waiting the 2 weeks is the best option.

Calcium Oxalate crystals can form in stored urine so it could be a false result

http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath...t/crystsed.htm
              Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12555980

Last one for you to look at - discusses time & temp effect on calcuim oxalate crystal formation in stored urine.

I would hold off donating all your food just now - might be worth getting another sample done at the vets.
                Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

wow, thanks for the info. They really wanted me to bring her in Saturday but I couldn't. Too many appointments at work.

fingers crossed it was a storage issue. I thought keeping it cold would help.

It was a logistical nightmare of a day since the vets around here are open 9 to 1.

very good info. thanks!

I just don't want her to pass a stone

Comment

Judi, Sorry to hear Jenny is having an issue with crystals. Hopefully it will get better real soon. Hugs to you and Jenny.
                    Vicki-Scoop, Raleigh, Archie and Gus' mom

Comment

thanks Vicki. She is already doing better. no more accidents and her blood sugar is always better on the WD. I'm just glad she ate it!

Comment

Glad to hear that Judi!
                        Vicki-Scoop, Raleigh, Archie and Gus' mom

Comment

Judi,

Glad that Jenny is doing much better.... I just don't how you and the others do with multiple issues... it just makes things that much more complicated.

Hugs to you and your girl... and boy Ranger!!

Barb
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

thanks Barb! Ranger would appreciate the kind thoughts, he is getting pretty jealous of all the attention Jenny gets

you've done way more tinkering than I have. some dogs are just not easy!

Comment

Hey Judi,

Glad to see Jenny is getting better! Your Jenny sounds a lot like my PupPup...always throwing a curve ball.

Comment

these dogs always throw a curve ball!

came home tonight to many piles of brown yuck all over the house. Ranger got a kitchen drawer open that had a bag of tollhouse chocolate chips, some soup crackers and some dehydrated camping food.

Luckily THEY must've puked up most of the chocolate. Jenny obviously got in on the action since her blood sugar was 521! I think Ranger ate most of it though cause the naughty boy didn't even want supper

they've been guzzling water all night. I think they are ok, glad it didn't kill them but something must've been sticking out of the drawer for him to open it. I double checked, he does not have thumbs!

stinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X