No announcement yet.

Help.. Please:Dental Friday For Suzie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OMG..Has anyone seen BG 73-74 Before and After meals???

Originally posted by Scooterspal View Post
    Scooter goes under 80 (80 - 100 is considered normal) on occasion with no issues. He has been as low as 50 while sleeping during the day when I test at 2:30 (6 hours after injection). Again, he's been fine. I give him a small treat as a reward for the stick. That kicks him up a bit.

Some claim the strip meters are not reliable at the lower ranges. I have just the one ReliOn from WallyWorld.

You may need to ease up on the dose just a bit. Have you made any dietary changes recently?
    No I have tried to keep things steady..no meal changes. Maybe I did not make it clear since my screenshot is not showing up..At 6pm (mealtime) Suzire's BG was 73-74..Of course, it could be a fluke..but 2 hours after meal BG had not changed..using 3 alphaTrak meters with strips from different bottles. I am starting to distrust BG results (a little) so we may see if there is a "pattern" (not numbers) comparable with Relion and/or Contour.
    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
      In the last 3 weeks I had 3 mornings where fastings BG was: 2.8 (50), 3.6 (65), and 4.8 (86) today. I don't panic because it doesn't usually keep crashing fast.
      With Riley's new curve pattern, he stays kind of flat for most of the morning before a rise at noon.
      So I see similar BG before and after meals. He doesn't have much of a post prandial rise anymore.
      WHY??? Why would a FBG. when insulin like NPH should be wearing off well before breakfast have such a low BG?? I understand this with Lantus but these surprises don't make sense to me. Lower BG don't worry me as much as the inability to anticipate them , especially when i am checking often. I have yet to find a DVM that can explain all of this and the manufacturers do not offer their pharmacologists to explain anything...Thanks for your support..Maybe it's just a metabolic thing..but sometimes I wonder if the pancreas has a few little functioning cells left with insulin...Nothing else makes sense to me.
      Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
        What i find amazing is Hypoglycemic events are quite rare . Now it does happen and is deadly . A friend of my daughter who was 19 years old died in his sleep from low blood sugar . I dont know the particulars but it was very sad with someone so young .

I have run into many times of jesses diabetic life with numbers below 70 which i consider a time for intervention to raise it . She has never showed any out of the normal symptoms where if i did not have a meter i would have never known

For me just as important in recognizing sugar that maybe to low is the instability that we see going from say the 400s to the 70s

my jesse gets shots between 2 and 3 units being a 26 pound dog .So similar to your dog but of course her routine is quite different than most
        Jesse girl..You are sooo right..The "instability" is driving me nuts..This "Every dog is different " is true but it is not resolving issues for most diabetic dog owners. If I am wrong, I wish these owners would post charts or results or information. The only insulin that I could anticipate and was stable was LANTUS...but it never stopped working so it made me too nervous and I was getting no sleep. I wish LOLO would update us on Levemir, since I have it waiting in my frig. You have a great attitude..I wish I could calm down but I see Norway removing pituitary tumors that cause one form of Cushings..but not here. When I see ordinary people doing or trying to research DM more so than most DVM's..when the DVM's admit that they base their total understanding of insulins on the INSERT that comes with the vial. Afterall, "We don't learn the pharmokinectics in vet school". I hesitate to opine (but will) that the lack of "understanding" among DVM's is that DM is only a money maker upon diagnosis and during crises..Otherwise it's a DVM visit and lab work....It is because of forum members like you all that our pups are helped..Thank you all. (IMO..attached charts would help even more)

Comment

People share what they feel comfortable sharing. I don't want anyone to ever feel pressured to share more information than they want to, including photos, their names, their dogs' names. And, frankly, their charts wouldn't tell you anything about your dog... Eventually, you will have to decide which insulin works best overall and manage it as best you can.

There's still a 99% chance that the ups and downs you are experiencing have nothing at all to do with the insulin product.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by bichons9 View Post
            WHY??? Why would a FBG. when insulin like NPH should be wearing off well before breakfast have such a low BG?? I understand this with Lantus but these surprises don't make sense to me. Lower BG don't worry me as much as the inability to anticipate them , especially when i am checking often. I have yet to find a DVM that can explain all of this and the manufacturers do not offer their pharmacologists to explain anything...Thanks for your support..Maybe it's just a metabolic thing..but sometimes I wonder if the pancreas has a few little functioning cells left with insulin...Nothing else makes sense to me.
            Diabetes is complex, as is the body and how it reacts to everything. Your dog is not a machine that can keep consistent outcomes. Things don't make sense all the time with diabetes, you have to accept that. Trying to anticipate, based on numbers from the past, will drive you crazy.
            Every diabetic out there will tell you this. If it was that easy and predictable, we'd all be great diabetics. But strategies and products and research still evolve because it is not that simple.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

• Help.. Pleaseental Friday For Suzie

Well, Suzie has not been anesthetised since being diagnosed with DM1 and will have her teeth cleaned Friday!!. Because I sensed some confusion (over phone) at DVM's on how to manage pre-0p diabetics' insulin..I thought Do not give 6am insulin..no food @ 6am....to arrive at DVM's at 7:30 am to be first case of my dogs. But now I have read all sorts of protocols. Would someone please tell me the usual pre-op plan for anesthesia on diabetic dog when the FBG is 3-400. One article said to give a "little" insulin..One article says "give 1/2 dose..another says "none" Another says prevent hyperglycemia ... I simply assumed that they would have R on hand to keep BG down during procedure.I did not plan giving her any insulin but am worried now..about what to do..Thanks for reading..Please reply

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094

Comment

• Re: Help.. Pleaseental Friday For Suzie

The last time Lily was anesthetised was during cataract surgery.

I didn’t feed her the morning of surgery, but gave her 1/4 dose of insulin. They monitored her BG during the procedure and had a fast acting insulin available if needed.

Best of luck with the cleaning. I understand your concern.
                Last edited by MikeMurphy; 02-12-2019, 06:18 AM.
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Working...
                X