Newly diagnosed 7 yr old Maltipoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed 7 yr old Maltipoo

Hi, need a lot of advice? I’m feeling beyond depressed and overwhelmed about my Goji girls recent diagnosis, I have a business trip planned for 6 days for this Thursday and have a capable in home pet sitter but My dog just met her 2x, my question is do I go or cancel the entire trip? She’s on 4 units vetsulin 2x day being picky with eating in the AM and because her sugar is 530 vet told me to administer morning insulin even if she doesn’t eat? I need a support group for this! I haven’t stopped crying since 10 days ago when I got this news! Please HaeLP

Re: Newly diagnosed 7 yr old Maltipoo

If your pet sitter is quite capable, I would go but do you know her well enough to feel comfortable with her capabilities?

And is she able to give injections and your dog will accept injections?

I know how scary a diabetes diagnosis sounds but it's a thoroughly manageable condition and dogs are very tolerant of high blood sugar. They do not suffer from the numerous cardiovascular issues that human diabetics do. She can live a normal happy life - all she needs is decent management of her blood sugar.

How much does she weigh?

At four units, twice a day, I'd want her to weigh at least 16-18 pounds. If she weighs less, that could be too much insulin.

Natalie

Comment

Hi, thank you ! She weighs 17 Lbs, I am giving her a product called blood sugar Gold 8 drops 2x a day, reviews on this product state that it has helped their pets a lot! So far her blood sugar hasn’t budged but I have not started at home texting, do not know if I can handle it I’m really on the fence so to speak as to whether I take this trip or not, feeling super conflicted
      Or

Comment

With Chris, we always asked ourselves if we might have regrets later. So if you can cancel or postpone and feel like you might regret it later, that would probably work best. But I understand if it might be quite difficult to cancel or postpone.

I'd make sure the sitter knows who the ER vet would be and where it's located - and maybe even give them a credit card number - after all, if you overprepare, nothing will happen!

And has instructions to take her to the vet if s/he even thinks there might be a problem.

At that point, it would just depend on how much I knew about the petsitter's reliability and judgment. I've had people take care of sick cats, for example, who had old sick cats themselves. And many vet techs do pet care freelance and might be willing to stop by and check on her.

It's the old jinx theory - prepare for every single contingency and everything is likely to go just fine!

Natalie

Comment

I have a 7 year old Maltipoo, 25 lbs.
          Your dose of insulin seems conservative, and that's a good thing early on, and probably safe for your sitter, she probably won't have to worry about too low blood sugar.
          Early in the diagnosis, blood sugar will usually be high for a while, but that's normal and OK.
          If she doesn't eat breakfast, you might take the dose down one unit.

Make sure your sitter can give injections, and the dog is OK with it.

You gotta think that before the diagnosis, she was running high and everything seemed normal. Now she's getting a bit of insulin, which helps for now, but her blood sugar will stay somewhat high as a safety net until you are back.
          If she vomits or seems sick at all, the sitter can take her to the vet.

No need to panic.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

i would not give a full dose of insulin if your pup does not eat . most can give a quarter of the normal dose without food . half with half food and so on

your dog maybe more picky with eating with you gone so you want the sitter to understand that

you can let the sitter use your thread and if she has a question there is usually somebody around to answer or point you in the correct direction

i am usually not one to force feed if they dont want to eat letting the dog tell me what they want to do my jesse did not want to eat the other day she wasn't feeling well and we just skipped it and gave her a reduced insulin shot

once things move along they should smooth out my jesse has been diabetic almost 8 years and has had a happy dogs life and i have learned so much and made me a stronger person with medical issues even for myself

i dont see a problem with the sitter if capable .

testing blood sugar at home really improves the odds for good outcomes
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you, that was so helpful, I appreciate you answering me. This is so new and confusing to me. I feel totally overwhelmed. I am not feeling strong enough to do the at home testing at this point.

Comment

Thanks for your help! I so appreciate it. I have her on Blood Sugar Gold herb also, supposed to work great! We shall see

Comment

Hi there!
                  I just want you to know that it feels overwhelming at first and yes, there´s a lot of crying involved.....but that´s ok. Now, wipe away your tears and think of how lucky you are he has diabetes and not cancer.....dogs can live with diabetes!! it´s hard to get them regulated, I´m not going to lie, but, eventually you´ll come up with the right dose and the right diet. And then it all will become a routine for the 2 of you.
                  Regarding your business trips....you´ll have to have your normal life, so, all you need to do is find someone who can give him shots and home test him while you´re out: not that hard to train someone if they´re not afraid of needles.
                  You can do this! and you have this forum to ask nay concerns you may have or just to find some comfort when you need it!
                  Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Comment

I would be careful with any products that claim to help blood sugar. Most times, they are scams and can make the situation worse. These companies prey on people at their most vulnerable times. There are all natural supplements that can help with certain conditions - such as d Mannose to help with uti’s, etc.. The best way to get regulated is to balance insulin and food. I have just seen several people have problems with blood sugar and the “miracle” herb actually being the thing driving up the blood sugar.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I agree with amydunn, throwing extra things into the mix right now can be counter-productive. Keep it simple, food and insulin.

Some supplements by themself might help certain aspects of a disease or help the health of your internal body. Kinda like vitamins do.

I've been diabetic for 30 years, have never found any miracle supplements to help my blood sugar. It's easy for products to have a catchy name, and to make claims of success, but the loopholes are plentiful to allow it.
                      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Designerdeb View Post
                        Thanks for your help! I so appreciate it. I have her on Blood Sugar Gold herb also, supposed to work great! We shall see
                        I was wondering if you continued to give your pup Blood Sugar Gold and what your experience is with the supplement. I’ve seen it here in Canada and I am curious about it

Comment

Working...
                        X