Chew "bones' for dogs with diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chew "bones' for dogs with diabetes

I used to give Izzy a hollowed out marrow bone to chew on - she loved it and it kept her teeth clean. However, they make her blood sugar rise. I give her other cow parts and they do not have the same affect. However, she is an aggressive chewer and I would like to find something that will last a bit longer than bully sticks and other similar items. She turned up her nose at antlers. Any suggestions?
    Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Re: Chew "bones' for dogs with diabetes

there were a few members that gave there dogs deer antlers

actually i gave jesse a bone on occasion and it could drop her blood sugar by a 100 points if insulin was active

yep the marrow in the bone is high fat . i kind of dont give her bones anymore but she may find one on her walks that drives me a bit crazy . hard to get something out of her mouth that she wants

its trial and error like anything else whats an appropriate time to do it , how long should you let the dog chew and should you pick it up after the time limit is up
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What would be a good bone that wouldn't raise blood sugar? I was thinking of buying some beef bones and boiling them and taking the marrow out. Would that work?
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

without any marrow you should be ok but like i said my jesses blood sugar dropped chewing on bones . sometimes as much as a 100 points so something to be aware of
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I ordered some deer antlers for her. I'll keep an eye on her when she chews it to make sure she doesn't get low.
          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

We have used deer antlers but the dogs have not generally been very interested in them. They can end up with some quite sharp edges. We sometimes found them with bits of blood on them.

We have had a Nylabone for years which was generally ignored by all the dogs but now two of them have started to chew on it - perhaps it has matured now after about 5 years outside!

I don't think that boiling beef bones (or any other sort) would be a good idea as cooked bones aren't generally very safe for dogs as I understand it.

Antonia
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Merrick has a bone called a ranger rib - it is a rib bone with a tiny bit of meat on it. Even Maggie with pancreatitis could chew on those and never get sick. You could always peel the excess meat off if it was concerning. There really is no marrow to speak of - they are super flat. The good thing is they retain the flavor and smell long after the meat is gone. So, they don't lose interest. There are several brands - Jones Natural is another that is a great product. Merrick and Jones are U. S. Products.

Bully sticks gave Maggie terrible gas but there was this twist that looked like rawhide but was digestible called a tripe twist. They never caused problems either.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We tried cow trachea but we will give a ranger rib a try. She turns up her nose at Nylabones and antlers.
                Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Working...
                X