New Automatic Injection Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Automatic Injection Device

I recently got a new auto injector to play with that works great. This is not the Inject-Ease, it's called the AutoJect2. I've included a lot of pictures of the unit, but for some reason, even though I uploaded them in order, they ended up scrambled, so the best way I can think of to do it is to just include the links to them in order.

I got this originally because although I have no problem doing the injections, but my wife never has and is nervous about doing it and I thought this might make it easier for her if for some reason there is no other choice but for her to do it. However, I've been having so much fun with this thing that my wife hasn't even been near it yet.

Once the unit is cocked, the syringe inserted and the two parts screwed together, pushing the button to release the spring inserts the needle and injects the insulin. I've drawn up 17.5 units of water in a syringe which is what I give Bailey and timed it as it emptied the syringe. The needle was inserted and then the syringe emptied in less than 2 seconds. Bailey never had any idea he'd been injected. I've even injected him in places that he normally complains about with no problems. The instructions recommend waiting 5 seconds before removing the needle which is usually a good idea anyway in order to help keep any insulin from leaking back out. The only problem I've had with it is that the instructions can be a little confusing. Once you figure it out though, each time you use it gets faster and easier.

I've used it to inject him two ways. I can still tent the skin and inject it like normal, but I've also pressed it straight against his fur, and injected it straight in. So far I haven't been able to see any difference in his levels regardless of which way I do it.

Another thing this has done is make his injections much more consistent. I do most of the injections, but my son does them when I'm working at night. This way there's not difference in how he's injected, so there's no question about whether one is using better technique than the other, or going too shallow or too deep. Another problem that I feel it may help with is that I believe my son pinches his skin too hard when he tents the skin, making Bailey less cooperative with him. With this, he can just press it straight in and eliminate the pinching when tenting.

On to the pictures. Sorry there's so many, (22) but I'm a very detail oriented person.

OK, first, I've discovered that if you click on the links, you don't get to see the comments.

Edit: I've moved them to Photobucket where they are in order and have the comments with them. This is the link if you want to view them there.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...332/AutoJect2/

I've also put the photobucket link in a separate post.

If you don't mind them being out of order and want to view the comments with them, just click on my user name, then click on view profile, then click on the album AutoJect2 on the right under albums. Once you open the album, if you hover your cursor over a picture, I've numbered them. You might want to get some coffee, or take a nap or something first. Look on the bright side. You only have to look at them. I had to take them, get them in the album in what I'd hoped was the correct order and get all of these URL's in here before I found out they didn't include the comments. I'm really not normally this patient.

Edit: I've deleted the original links to the pictures that didn't have the comments with them since I now have them on Photobucket.

This really is a very nice little gadget if you want to try an automatic injector. I haven't seen any reviews on the Inject-Ease, so if someone has one and would like to write up something about it, I'd like to see a comparison.

I got this at Amazon and at $35.00, it was about $5.00 to $6.00 more than the Inject-Ease, but I wanted to try something different.

Pat
    Last edited by pat3332; 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM.

Re: New Automatic Injection Device

Hi Pat,

I used the more manual inect ease for a few years and then I also managed to get an autoject (made by Mumford). For some reason Buddy hated the sound of the autoject and jumped so I wasn't sure if all the insulin was going in so I stayed with the inject ease. Maybe if I had persevered then it would have worked. Glad you are able to use it and it does make is so much easier for those hating the thought of giving injections.

Jenny

Comment

Hey Pat, any chance you could get a picture of it being injected in Bailey as well? I think it'd help to see how to place it/use it on the skin too.

I went to your album and just went back and forth to get the right pictures. Glad you numbered them.
      Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Jenny, I was concerned about that loud twang when the spring releases at first, but Bailey never seems to notice. Bailey never seems to notice much except when I'm late feeding him, or I forget to give him a treat. I'm lucky that he's so easy to work with.

It was still in my mind however that other dogs may be affected more. Repeated use, or distracting them somehow as you press the button might help, maybe giving a little treat at the same time you push the button, but I've seen some dogs that are so hyper and skittish that they may never get use to it. I had one weird dog once that just didn't like to be held or restrained in any way and would fight and squirm to get away and there was not way to hang on to her for long without getting wounded.

I agree it's not for every dog and some may always have a problem with that sound and never be able to get use to it, or distracted enough. Since it inserts the needle and injects the insulin so fast though, I thought it might get the injection done before the dog was able to cause much of a problem.

I've seen a picture of an Inject-Ease and read a little about it, but never used one. I assume however that it also uses a spring, but since it only inserts the needle and doesn't inject, the spring probably doesn't need to be all that strong, and make as much noise as the AutoJect.

Thanks for passing that along

Pat
        Last edited by pat3332; 02-12-2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Patty,

I'll try to get some pictures, but except for using it to inject straight in, I can use it just about the same way and in the same spots as when I'm injecting manually. The only thing I try to watch is when injecting straight in, if I'm in the rib area, I try to position it between a rib, but I'm not sure I'm that successful every time. I also adjust the needle length shorter when injecting straight in. I use a 1/2" needle and the needle depth is set right at 6 mm which is just a little under 1/4" and is shorter than the syringes with the 5/16" "short" needle. This depth seems to work fine for Bailey whether I tent and inject from the side, or inject straight in. Since you have to press the device into the tissue to push the two parts together to get it to release, it's already pushing into the tissue more than when you inject manually. It makes a dimple in the skin that you can see. The needle length will need to be adjusted to your individual dog since the needle depth will be affected by the amount of body fat and the amount of fur.

I started out going by one of the many images and videos I found here and injecting at one of the usual 4 spots recommended. One thing that really helped me a lot though was the video that I saw from Abbott that Dr. Bruyette did. He said that anyplace you can feel a rib should be a good place to inject it. Since Bailey has a pretty big rib cage that give me a lot more area to move around on and with alternating sides and moving from high to low, I doubt that he ever gets injected in the same place that often.

I guess I should preface that last part with a warning in case someone disagrees, but it works with Bailey and as long as I'm in the area of his rib cage, I see very little difference in his glucose levels as long as the needle is adjusted correctly. I think most of the difference I was seeing was due to the difference between how my son and I did the injections, more that the site. Plus Bailey isn't exactly the poster boy for stability, so it would be hard for me to tell most of the time anyway.

Another nice thing I've found is that by injecting straight in, I can do it with one hand, leaving the other free and it makes it much easier to switch from one side to the other. I always had trouble using his left side because being right handed, it was a lot more awkward for me to find a position where I could tent and inject. Also, the only place Bailey has ever objected to was toward the front. The closer I get to his front legs the more sensitive he seems to get, but so far that hasn't been a problem with the AutoJect, maybe because it's over so quick.

As soon as I can, I'll get my son to take pictures when we have a little time to get together and do some pictures of me simulating doing an injection at some of the different spots and doing it both by tenting and straight on. Maybe he can do it and keep me out of the picture. Bailey is much more photogenic than I am, but not much more patient with the process.

Thanks

Pat
          Last edited by pat3332; 02-26-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

OK, These are the pictures, hopefully in order and with the comments on Photobucket. Just click on a picture to enlarge it and read the comments. Still working on the injection pictures and will post them on Photobucket when I get them.

Pat
            Last edited by pat3332; 02-14-2011, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Just updated Photobucket and have uploaded 4 pictures simulating giving Bailey injections with the AutoJect2. They're on the last page. Let me know if there are any questions.

Pat

Comment

So much diabetes-related info over here on Everything Else! Pat, thanks for all your various work on these topics, including the snit fit, and the strips details. I think your work is a great service. I'll have to go look at your photos!

Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:43:07 (PST)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

Pat,
                  Your pictures are so helpful! Thanks for doing that.
                  Patty
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks,

I'm still not happy with the pictures, but I decided I'd put it off long enough and I can always change, or add too them later.

Pat

Comment

I ordered the Autoject2 after reading this thread. It's my second day and so far it's been good. Its definitely a lot better than trying to find a good pinch location to inject Lulu with. I was having a hard time with that and she has been getting aggressive with me (probably because she knows what's coming).

Now I must say... I've only used the Autoject2 three times now on my dog. One thing I noticed last night and this morning was there were a few drops on insulin on the area that I injected her. Now that's a concern because now I'm not sure how much of her dose did she actually got. I think I need to hold the injector in place for a few seconds longer before pulling away from her. Either that or I need to recalibrate the needle so it goes in a little more.

We'll see what happens next...
                      ..Annie..
                      Lulu - Min-Pin 6 yrs old
                      Diagnosed 4/25/11, 5units Humulin-N, 2x's/day.
                      5/14/11, increased to 6units 2x's/day

Comment

Keep us posted. We love to hear what makes thing easier for people!

Comment

Hi Annie,

I had to look back at some of your other posts, but I see Lulu's a Min Pin. Like you said, I would adjust the needle depth so that you have a little more needle length. Adjust it just a little at a time until you find the correct length. I found that I had to set mine a little deeper than the instructions said to start at because the only time Bailey objects to the injection is when the needle depth is to shallow and it's too close to the surface of the skin. You just need to adjust it to where you get all of the insulin injected, the dog doesn't object and you're not injecting into the muscle. Once I got it set correctly for Bailey, I just check occasionally to make sure it hasn't changed.

Be sure to let us know how it's working. Min Pin's can be one of the more challenging breeds to test and inject.

Pat

Comment

Hi again,

One other thing I thought I'd mention. I know it can be hard to get Min Pin's to hold still for long, if at all, but it's also recommended to wait about 5 seconds before you pull the needle out. Pulling out too soon can allow some insulin to leak back out.

Pat

Comment

This morning I used the AutoJect2 and the needle bent unexpectedly. It looks like the insulin didn't even go in her. The second time we tried we got the insulin in but once again the needle was bent. I'm confused at this point and concerned.

What length and gauge needle do you suggest using? I'm using a 30 gauge short needle. My parents and I were trying to sort out the reasons as to why it would have bent:

1. Is the needle too short? Should I switch to the 1/2 inch needle so I have room to adjust the Autoject2?

2. Is the needle too thin? I don't want to revert back to the 28 gauge needle that my vet wants me to use.

Any advice?
                              ..Annie..
                              Lulu - Min-Pin 6 yrs old
                              Diagnosed 4/25/11, 5units Humulin-N, 2x's/day.
                              5/14/11, increased to 6units 2x's/day

Comment

Working...
                              X