Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!

Sounds like we need an update thread.

Please take a moment when you can to post here about you and your dog, even if, especially if, it's just "No news - things are great!"

Public whimpering is also totally acceptable. We are really good at being sympathetic and have been in that place more than once ourselves so we understand. Plus, struggling with diabetes or anything else for that matter is not a failure on your part.

So please let us know how you and your dog are doing.

Natalie

Re: Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!

Zoe's doing ok. Currently barking at the alarm system service guy. I am terrible about regularly checking her blood sugar, but she seems like she's doing pretty well, so I'm leaving well enough alone for a bit. Will likely do a curve in the next few weeks.

I'm another story, but I'm surviving!!
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Shadow is hanging in there...I'm not real good yet on checking him as often as I should...but he seems to be in good spirits and acts like he feels good.

I've been quite pre-occupied this week anyway, Monday our new granddaughter entered the world...so it has been all about her these last few days We have 2 grandsons, so a little pink lady has been a great addition to the family! She is gorgeous and doing well!

Comment

jesse is doing well found some dead fleas on her its like they drunk her blood and died on the spot i had to pull them out with tweezers i did not know she had toxic blood from diabetes we are in the desert fleas aren't to common

lately her numbers have been staying in normal blood sugar range maybe 30 point range from low to high something i never thought possible she is still doing well on rabbit chasing in the afternoon and her long steady walk in the morning

testing a bit more probably was a big factor to accomplish this and the forum for endless possibilities
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Poppy is doing well. Her glucose levels are in a good range. Injecting, while not pleasant, is something we both put up with. She looks fab, has loads of energy and no sign of cataracts, yet.

The only worry I have is that she is has become quite thin. She started out in March at 15lb and is now just over 12lb. For a little dog, that is a large weight loss. She is now on Hills W/D and when she is fed, I cajole her into eating more and she normally does. But I worry that she will lose more weight.

That is my whinge over and done with!!!
          Poppy, 12 year old, 11.5 lb terrier x, diagnosed March 9th '12. Caninsulin: 4.5 units AM & PM. Food: 75g Hills w/d, 1/2 tsp benefiber, glucosamine/chondroitin, 1dsp ground boiled turkey breast, 1 inch piece duck jerky twice daily.

Comment

...as for me, I'd give anything to live once again with the daily struggles of having a diabetic, my diabetic, Mildred, to share my life with again.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Geeg is headed to the ophthalmologist tomorrow to see what they can do about her cataracts. She can still see, but I want to see what our options are. She's holding stready at 27 lbs., all here skin infections have cleared up, her bgs are awesome (between 78-220 so far this week). She's doing really well! She's also thankful that I haven't dressed her in something ridiculous recently
              Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                ...as for me, I'd give anything to live once again with the daily struggles of having a diabetic, my diabetic, Mildred, to share my life with again.
                Sending you hugs from Scotland Eileen!

I am going to update on Alfie's thread as there is too much to say!
                Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

I'm with you Eileen. I wish SO much that Riv had gotten a chance at least. Hugs to you.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                    I know exactly how you must feel. I get misty sometimes when, for whatever reason, I have a fleeting thought of being without Otis.

Taking care of Otis has never been a "chore", it's always been something I enjoy doing, ... especially since his diabetes came into play. I try to make sure he knows that and never considers himself a burden, cause he's not.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Eileen - I could not agree more, everyday that I have with mine is a blessing, and will enjoy each and every moment. Mildred was a special friend, and will always be.

Update; Never a easy ride for us, but overall Abby is a healthy and fun loving dog. She has EVERYONE wrapped around her finger.

Abby's issue was for one 12 hour period, she would start high, and then end low, and for the other 12 hour period, start low and then high.... I didn't think it was the insulin, because she would not have gotten the 12 hours of the first 12 hour period and most times it would last 13 hrs, so I started putting her a 11/13 hr scheduled, which actually worked ok. Her food regiment was the same, timing, and schedule. Even more boggling was that the 12 hour could skip, so I knew even the walk was not affecting the swings.

Just recently I found that switching sites may give us better regulation, after months of tweaking food, and not really seeing much results. Just hope it lasts for bit, before I need to revise something else.
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

After close to 9 months Ruby has just recently become stable....hoping it lasts

She also has megaesophagus and EPI which added to our challenges. Recently we have switched to Levemir which is making a world of difference.

For all that she has against her and with her being 13 yrs. old she just keeps trucking right along. She has been quite a partner with me, hanging in their until we got it right.
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hey there! Sorry I have not written in a while. Things with Charlie are going good!He seems stable readings in 190-200's range I will probably do another curve when I get my new alphtrak meter( ya that's right I was one of the lucky ones who just bought a 200 dollar meter with the works and was told I had to purchase a new one!) anyways I am so blessed everyday I get to wake up and spend another day with charlie! I am learning to enjoy the small things in life( such as a big wet nose waking me up in morning!) His health seems good and getting ready to try trifexis for first time this next weekend due to no interceptor not being available. I am a little nervous due to possible side effect of him throwing up ( and u know with diebetics they can't be doing that) I will blog again soon god bless everyone and all they are doing for thier babies!

Comment

Originally posted by mags16 View Post
                            Poppy is doing well. Her glucose levels are in a good range. Injecting, while not pleasant, is something we both put up with. She looks fab, has loads of energy and no sign of cataracts, yet.

The only worry I have is that she is has become quite thin. She started out in March at 15lb and is now just over 12lb. For a little dog, that is a large weight loss. She is now on Hills W/D and when she is fed, I cajole her into eating more and she normally does. But I worry that she will lose more weight.

That is my whinge over and done with!!!
                            I'm interested in your post! I'm on holiday - first time in ten years, but trying to keep up at least reading a little here! My Kumbi died on 8 June2010, of cancer, NOT diabetes. He weighed about 19 pounds, and was on Novolin-NPH insulin, and his dose was usually around 6-7 units toward the end of his life, though considerably lower before that.

So, even though the INSULINs are different, the picture looks in some ways similar; Kumbi was on a vet prescription diet not all THAT different from WD.

I think you'll find that as Poppy's blood glucose stabilizes, she'll put on weight, but when Kumbi dropped to 16 pounds, it took him four months to put the weight back on, so don't get too discouraged!

Have to rush off - I'm hosting an astounding musician, in my TINY home. Camellia is helping me host.

Sat, 19 May 2012 07:19:21 (SPB) - oops - (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by diggydog View Post
                              Sending you hugs from Scotland Eileen!

I am going to update on Alfie's thread as there is too much to say!
                              Thank you, they are felt.

My Mom has a penpal that she aquired some 65 years ago when she was in grammer school that lives in Scotland.
                              To this day they still correspond but have never met.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Working...
                              X