Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Otis Update

I started using a 28g lancet and now I use a 33g lancet. Very tiny thin needle and most of the time spirit will sleep right thru it.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Yea! Great catch, I have caught some lows on Ed but nothing like that.
I hope I never do. I know he is lower than he likes if I can feel him tremble a bit. He will also spit- up on occasion and I know he dropped a bit- like being on a roller coaster.
Jj

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Haven't attempted to test his blood sugar yet. It was a major breakthrough when I was able to give him the injections without a fight every day. The only reason the injections are going ok these days is because I have his attention diverted to eating treats while I inject him very fast.

I won't be able to get a blood sample anywhere near as quick, thus the fight will be on. I'll have to formulate a strategy that will give me a bit more time to get the blood. Plus, I know having to draw blood by lancing his skin will hurt him more than a shot and then he'll be focused on what I'm doing.

We'll figure something out ...
I NEVER thought I'd be able to test Tiggy either. Tried Everything with no luck and alot of wiggling and some nipping. Finally shaved a spot on her butt and eureka!!! She didn't even flinch. I admit it's hard to get a good drop sometimes, but that's what heating pads are for!!!

Sandy
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
I NEVER thought I'd be able to test Tiggy either. Tried Everything with no luck and alot of wiggling and some nipping. Finally shaved a spot on her butt and eureka!!! She didn't even flinch. I admit it's hard to get a good drop sometimes, but that's what heating pads are for!!!

Sandy
See? Tiggy butt method!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM

I hope I didn't offend you by the testing comment....I haven't been able to test Pip either. And it's been four years, so I know the pain and worry about not knowing.

Right now we're walking around with a bite on our arm and a shaved butt.

Not saying who has what.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcor View Post
right now we're walking around with a bite on our arm and a shaved butt.

Not saying who has what.
hahahahahahah!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I hope I didn't offend you by the testing comment....I haven't been able to test Pip either. And it's been four years, so I know the pain and worry about not knowing.

Not saying who has what.
I want photographic evidence! LOL LOL
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Not saying who has what.
HAHAHAHA THis is great and I can TOTALLY relate!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Pics pls

Bill, Joan (pugs mom) had a diabetic dog and she had quite a bit of success getting blood from Bella's ears. She taught me how to do it and after many months of finding all kinds of excuses, of being terrified of it, I finally managed to do it and oh, what a relief.

Craig is the champion of <ear testing< and somewhere I also have a step by step post on how I managed to achieve success.

Good luck and glad you boy Otis is back to normal

Louise
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Your step by step, Louise: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2787