Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

I'm glad Otis' blood sugar has come down! Does the vet plan to do another curve?

Sometimes the blood sugar levels will be pretty flat when the levels are higher and then start to get more difference between highest and lowest blood sugar once you get down into the 200s so a curve at the vet would be very helpful in making sure he isn't going significantly lower at any point, something the fructosamine test won't tell you.

Maybe some day he will get used to his injections and you could take a stab (very bad pun) at home blood glucose testing.

If he stresses at the vet during a curve and you live close enough plus have a flexible schedule, you can do "drive by" curves at the vet by taking him there for each reading and bringing him home in between instead of leaving him at the clinic all day.

Good luck on the fructosamine test!

Natalie
Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
I'm glad Otis' blood sugar has come down! Does the vet plan to do another curve?

Sometimes the blood sugar levels will be pretty flat when the levels are higher and then start to get more difference between highest and lowest blood sugar once you get down into the 200s so a curve at the vet would be very helpful in making sure he isn't going significantly lower at any point, something the fructosamine test won't tell you.

Maybe some day he will get used to his injections and you could take a stab (very bad pun) at home blood glucose testing.

If he stresses at the vet during a curve and you live close enough plus have a flexible schedule, you can do "drive by" curves at the vet by taking him there for each reading and bringing him home in between instead of leaving him at the clinic all day.

Good luck on the fructosamine test!

Natalie
Doctor Bob called yesterday with Otis' fructosamine test results. I wasn't home, and he left a lonnnnnng message.
The fructosamine test came in at 522 which is about 330 bg average for the past couple of weeks, I guess.

That would disturb me if he hadn't tested the O's BG level when he drew the sample. Otis was 228 BG when the sample was taken ... and the fructosamine test determines a historical average over the past 2 - 3 weeks.

• previous curves - all samples were in the mid 300 - mid 400 range. Last one was about 3 weeks ago and the dose was raised to 8U.
  • I took him to the vet's office about 2 weeks ago when he wouldn't eat, and the BG was 329 that day. Doc determined he had a low grade infection and he was on antibiotics for a good portion of the period the fructosamine test was looking at (which can cause elevated BG levels???).
The reason for my "cautious optimism" is the "trend" (using the term very loosely) I see. He went from the mid 300's to mid 400's range on both of his curves ... to a 329 at the vet's office ... to a 228 when the fructosamine test sample was drawn, with the results indicating the average for the preceding 2 weeks was lower than either of the "lows' in his 2 curves.

BTW, the 228 reading was taken on a very "normal" day for Otis. He ate and got his shot at 6:00am and the sample was drawn at 9:30am.

Doc wants me to increase Otis to 9U on one of his daily's and keep him at 8 on the other. Wants me to continue to monitor the urine and if I detect any ;ow readings to cut the insulin back 1 unit.

Do you think I am on base with my reasoning?

We'll be doing another curve after the increased dose has time to "settle in".
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Default Otis back from the ophthalmologist

Went to see what can be done about restoring Otis' vision.

Good News is his vision is restorable. Primary problem is cataracts, secondary is PK. The PK is bad in one eye and is increasing in the other.

O's tear production is very low.

Doctor put him on tacrolimus 2x a day and scheduled a followup appointment in three weeks. Seems to think the tacrolimus may reduce the pigmentation enough to allow for a simpler cataract surgery.

Gonna take him in for another curve in a week or so. He "seems" to be doing a lot better. No more water craving, urination, etc. He's staying betweel the 1/4% / 1/2% markers on the strip. Used to be 1% to 2%.

He seems to be really depressed that he can't see, and getting some or most of that back for him, if at all possible, is a real priority now. I know him well, and when he gives one of his snorts and shakes his head I know he's not happy with something. He seems to do that quite a bit when we're outside and I'm guessing it's because of his inability to see.

That's the news from here.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

That is good news for Otis! Hope the Tacromilus helps with the Pigmentary Keratitis.

I found a couple of articles in reading up on it
http://books.google.com/books?id=fGJ...mology&f=false
http://pugman.com/Pug%20Information/...keratitits.htm

Keep us posted!
Patty
Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Arrow Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

I was about to ask what PK is, and, Patty, you saved me the trouble - I looked at the second article you pointed to. Pretty good explanation, seems to me!

I REALLY hope Otis comes through nicely, with the tacrolimus - and can then have cataract surgery - wouldn't that be nice!

Wishing you and Otis all the best,

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:20:23 (PDT)
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Back From The Ophthalmologist - Great News!

Great news today. The vet examined Otis this morning and was very pleased with what he saw. Otis' pigmentary keratitis is actually receding and the doc wants me to keep on "keepin' on" with the Tacrolimus, scheduled another appointment for June 15, and said if we keep making progress he'll schedule. the cataract surgery.

This is amazing, and beyond my highest hopes. Everything I read about Tacrolimus and PK indicated it would help the "dry eye", possibly stall the progression of the PK, and had a very small likelihood of reversing the pigmentation. The doc thinks, based on the results he sees from using it for 3 weeks, it could completely clear Otis' PK. He actually was quite surprised when he looked into Otis' eyes, and used the term "remarkable"!

Great guy, ... said "no charge" for this appointment!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Arrow Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

Bill - what WONDERFUL news! I'm so happy for you and Otis! Camellia sends her regards and congratulations. So do Kwali and Kumbi.

They and I are all practicing our magic-wand-waving (hehe)

Wed, 18 May 2011 11:14:36 (PDT)
Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Back From The Ophthalmologist - Great News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Great news today. The vet examined Otis this morning and was very pleased with what he saw. Otis' pigmentary keratitis is actually receding and the doc wants me to keep on "keepin' on" with the Tacrolimus, scheduled another appointment for June 15, and said if we keep making progress he'll schedule. the cataract surgery.

This is amazing, and beyond my highest hopes. Everything I read about Tacrolimus and PK indicated it would help the "dry eye", possibly stall the progression of the PK, and had a very small likelihood of reversing the pigmentation. The doc thinks, based on the results he sees from using it for 3 weeks, it could completely clear Otis' PK. He actually was quite surprised when he looked into Otis' eyes, and used the term "remarkable"!

Great guy, ... said "no charge" for this appointment!!!
Was just reading Natalie's post to liferebooted and her reference to this link ... Diabetes-induced cataracts, and guess what????

Otis eye doc is the featured Ophthalmologist from the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists.

The ACVO Diplomate Spotlight honors active or Emeritus Diplomates in the profession who are leaders in their field, are in good standing with the ACVO and have an interesting story to share. Please submit your nomination for this feature to the ACVO office for consideration.

http://www.acvo.com/new/diplomates/m...potlight.shtml

Talk about a small world. I left this guy's office about an hour ago, and read about him via a link on this website!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM

That's great news Bill, both about Otis' eyes and his doctor. Looking forward to seeing the results of the next checkup.

Pat
Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Bill,
That's really cool. And such great news on Otis' eyes. What are the chances of the PK returning even after cataract surgery if he's able to do it? Will he be on the tacrolimus long term? Just curious. We are learning from Otis
Patty