Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

This is a great news - keeping my fingers crossed for Otis. I can just see him snorting and shaking his cute head - as if disapproving of the world that has just become totally dark for him. Really hope that he gets his vision back soon.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Bill,
That's really cool. And such great news on Otis' eyes. What are the chances of the PK returning even after cataract surgery if he's able to do it? Will he be on the tacrolimus long term? Just curious. We are learning from Otis
Patty
The pigmentation is caused by the eye being irritated because of very low tear production (lack of lubricant). As long as the source of the irritation is alleviated, it should not recur. As I mentioned before, I'm elated that Otis' PK is actually receding.

From what I understand the results can vary all over the board dependent on the individual. Some stay on it 2x a day ... some go down to 1x a day .... some to 1x a week ... and some can get off it entirely. Even @ 2x a day forever, ... it's a small price for the benefits of restored vision.

Speaking of "price". It's a "non issue" dollar wise. I've found a site where I can get 3 10g tubes of the ointment for $11. Based on the amount used over 3 weeks, $11 will get you a 6 month supply.

Thanks everyone for your concern and encouragement.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
This is a great news - keeping my fingers crossed for Otis. I can just see him snorting and shaking his cute head - as if disapproving of the world that has just become totally dark for him. Really hope that he gets his vision back soon.
You hit it right on the nose! That's what his snorts are all about these days.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
The pigmentation is caused by the eye being irritated because of very low tear production (lack of lubricant). As long as the source of the irritation is alleviated, it should not recur. As I mentioned before, I'm elated that Otis' PK is actually receding.
That makes sense. So glad things are progressing so well!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up Otis gets the nod for cataract surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
That makes sense. So glad things are progressing so well!
We saw his veterinary ophthalmologist today and the doc says the left eye is ready for cataract surgery. He believes the right eye could be ready in another month or so. Otis' candidacy for cataract surgery was contingent of getting rid of the pigmentary keratitis he'd developed. If this hadn't worked the doc said it would be a much more complex surgery with less certain results as the pk would have to be dealt with surgically. How much abuse can an eyeball take???

I must admit to being amazed and very pleasantly surprised with the results we've had with Tacrolimus clearing up the PK in O's eyes. I was somewhat skeptical about the results we may achieve, because everything I read about Tacrolimus and PK indicated it "might in some cases" stop the progression of the pigmentation of the cornea, and had a remote possibility of causing the PK to recede.

Otis has been on it 2x a day for about 2 months and one eye is clear of the pigmentation, and the other is very close to being clear. I want to shout this out to everyone who has a dog going blind with PK.

"TACROLIMUS WORKS ON PK"

Now ... to decide on whether to wait & do both at once, or go ahead and get this one done.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Great news. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the successful surgery outcome. The poor little guy deserves it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Arrow Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

Lovely news! Keep those lovely reports coming!

Congrats to you and Otis!
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:54:10 (PDT)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Yes "TACROLIMUS" does work, Ed was diagnosed with Dry eye 4 weeks post surgery and is on TAC as we call it 2 x p/day Am/PM plus his other 2 eye meds
Dry eye symptoms were wet and muscousy, instead of being dry called the Opth immediately when I noticed a little something different
We go for fridayday fro 2 month post surgery check - up he is doing really well up almost up to 16 lbs and will hold him here.

Good on you Otis and Dad Bill
Jj and Eddie

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Congrats on the great news!

Quote:
Now ... to decide on whether to wait & do both at once, or go ahead and get this one done.
Whatever decision you make I'm sure will be the right one!

I can tell you, from someone who had extremely poor vision and had laser surgery on one eye at a time, that I would have preferred to have had them both done at the same time. I had headaches from the visual imbalance, whether wearing glasses with one lens or whether covering the impaired eye, until the second eye was done.

Granted I didn't have complete occlusion from cataracts and many dogs are only able to have one eye done and do quite well. But just thought I'd throw my experience in there.

Again, congrats on the great news!
Patty
Patty
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Best Urine Glucose Test Yet!

Tested Otis about an hour ago and for the first time ever he broke below the 250 mg on the Diastix scale. Usually, he's at the 500 mg level, and occasionally at either 250 mg or 1000 mg.

Today he's between "negative" & 100 mg. He gets his breakfast and shot at 5:30 AM and I usually test him before his daily egg at 11:30.

I increased his insulin to 11.0 morning / 10.0 evening starting last night. This is up from 10.0 / 9.5. I'm gonna test him later this afternoon. I know it's been stated here that a small insulin increase may just hit that "magic" number and cause a major change in blood sugar. I found this amazing. There was nothing out of the ordinary yesterday or today, except the increase in insulin dose.

He appears to be acting fine but, just to be safe, I added a heaping tablespoon of brown rice and a Liva Snap to his egg today as insurance against going too low.

Quite excited as this is the first time I've seen his urine sugar on the low end of the Diastix scale. Actually, other than the elimination of the excessive thirst & urination symptoms when we gradually increased his insulin from the initial 4U gradually to 8U, this is the first real evidence I've seen of the insulin having an additional impact.

Gonna run him in for a curve this week to see where we're at.