Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Welcome to diabetes. Inconsistency can happen for a while. you make changes, and then get different inconsistencies. At some point though it usually levels out.
My dog has been the king of inconsistencies. I spot check when things go awry, just to be sure.

Starting high and then dropping 400 can happen. Sometimes a body does some self correcting when sugar is way high. Curve numbers and patterns aren't relative every day.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM

I am glad you told me that - today is a very strange day. He was doing really well this weekend - a big number but then consistent later in the day.

Today was crazy - I am going to take it again at 8:00 p.m. - but it dropped from 623 to 83 - I am wondering if maybe my husband didn't get all the insulin.

We have been on 12 units for almost a week now, so I don't think the Symogi effect would play a factor - or would it?

1/26 8:00 a.m. 527 10:15 a.m. 407 2:00 p.m. 184 4:30 p.m. 128 6:00 p.m. 168 8:10 p.m. 420
1/27 6:50 a.m. 180 2:20 p.m. 226 6:00 p.m. 189 8:45 p.m. 424
1/28 7:55 a.m. 547 11:40 a.m. 623 5:55 p.m. 83
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Last edited by YukiesMom; 01-28-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: chart didn't copy right
Old 01-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Founding Member

It looks like resistance is broken and you are seeing some good numbers but like i sugested on the other post you are having some substantial drops and may need to edge the dose lower
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM

9:00 p.m. BG was 236. I am happy about that.
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Looks like the change in food is resulting in alot less insulin.

A 28 lb dog dose at .2 is 5.6.

I use to change Riles food then had to drop his insulin back gradually.

12 units is alot especially when you see the 80.

Maybe too much insulin is causing his hair loss and weight loss in a week.

I.d drop back 2 units . test.. Keep doing it till his numbers level out

Could also be he has an allergy to the new food.

They keep us on our toes eh
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 AM

Thanks everyone. So he is back up to 29.5 pounds but he just feels thin, like all his muscle is gone. He seems to be in a great mood, but it's been hard to walk him lately let alone get him outside. I live in michigan and we have had below zero temps the last week. It was tough trying to get him to do his business but we managed.

I am going to do a curve with the 12 units and start lowering in 1/2 doses to see if he maintains. He is at the 200's right now most of the time.

Should I get a fructosamine test?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:38 AM

Sounds like a good plan.

I wouldn’t bother with a fructosomine test, which shows the average BG over the past 2 - 3 weeks. A BG curve is more accurate in that it shows real time BG levels and trends. A fructosomine test might show an average BG of 200, but you don’t know what the highs and lows are and you might miss possible rebound or dangerously low BG.

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/articles...glucose-curves
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Founding Member

Mike makes good sense . If you were not testing blood sugar and you had no other way to determine what regulation looks like it maybe helpful

The problem if you had blood sugar from a high of 500 and a low of 50 the test may say you need more insulin but that 50 says no

So what would you do with a test like this . If its adequate it may give you some peace of mind . If its not good what will you do based on curves you have already have done and proceeded with regulation ? how will the test move you forward except bring more anxiety on you and that could be transferred to your dog
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-04-2019, 12:01 PM

You are right - the vet just always tries to push the test on us. He is very comfortable with me taking his blood whenever I need to so I am just going to continue doing that.

One thing I do want to ask though - when I give Yukon his insulin he seems to zone out for about an hour or so. Just kind of stares into space. There have been a couple times that he has acted normal, but for the most part he changes his demeanor quickly.

Is that normal?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Founding Member

my jesse could after food and insulin become lethargic if her blood sugar is spiking or dropping but just giving her the shot has no affect . NPH insulin onset for jesse is about 1.5 hours .

Maybe after feeding can cause some tiredness of feeling full. maybe some discomfort with belly pain . Maybe a reaction to insulin is a possibility .