Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sparky - the battle of the sugar

Thanks! I have missed you guys!!
    Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

Originally posted by Bichonluver3 View Post
      We have been away for awhile I was sick, my son was flying for the Navy in Iraq and my daughter had her 2nd girl a week ago - but Sparky has been fine. I did his curve today and wonder what you think:
      Carrol,
      I think that looks great! Good to hear from you.
      I hope you are doing better. I'd been praying for your son. He is home now for awhile? Congrats on your new granddaughter!
      Take care,
      Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

wow

those are just great numbers your patience has paid off for sparky
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Doc said "perfect curve" but he has lowered insulin back down to 5u (from 5 1/2). I am to retest in 3 weeks.
          Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

I'm just a bit late here, but it's GREAT to hear from you again, Carrol. Especially with this lovely news. That curve is magnificent. I guess your vet prefers just a BIT more wiggle-room for Sparky on the insulin dose; trust you'll curve again after a couple of weeks.

Is your son home again, then? I hope so!

Delighted about your new granddaughter; huge congratulations to you - and to the happy parents!

Love and hugs,
            Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:54:03 (PST)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Congrats on the new baby! And yay for Sparky! Great numbers! And am hoping son is home? All good stuff!
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

What a beautiful curve!

I personally would leave him at 5.5 unless there is reason to believe it's going a lot lower at home. The 101 as a low gives you quite a lot of wiggle room and the levels are really wonderful.

I'm so happy to get an update on you all.

Natalie

Comment

Carol: That's what Doc said - a little more "wiggle" room.
                  Shellie: Thanks for the congrats. Josh is back in Guam doing search & rescue for another 11 months and then, we hope, coming stateside.
                  Natalie:The curve was done at home so I was happy with numbers. Then I got nervous when Doc said we needed a cushion. I am going to re-test in 3 weeks and will re-post. My gut feeling? Go back to 5.5u

Comment

• Blood sugar 76

I have not been on this forum for nearly 2 years but we now have a problem:
                    Sparky had 9 teeth removed on Monday
                    I had him to the vet's again because he was eating. Blood sugar was 156 at vet's
                    He came home and ate his supper as usual. Much more himself. i tested his blood 118. Gave him more to eat. Still acted okay.
                    Went back to vets this am for some monitoring. Blood sugar was still low in the 100 - 125 range.
                    He ate a big dinner. I checked his blood and it was 118. Gave only 4 u of his regular 8u of Novolin N.
                    Just checked his blood now (2 hrs after insulin) Reading is 76. Think i am off to emergency vets.
                    Just syringed 6 ml of corn syrup into him.
                    BLOOD SUGAR IS NOW 152
                    Last edited by Bichonluver3; 08-06-2014, 10:13 PM. Reason: change in BS

Comment

• Re: Blood sugar 76

Oh goodness... nine teeth! I bet he will feel a lot better once he recovers.

Could be inflammation / infection from the teeth were raising his blood sugar and he just needs less insulin now.

Is he on an antibiotic?

That can change insulin needs as well.

Natalie

Comment

Wow, Natalie, hi!! I was hoping you would chime in! lol Can't believe that it has been 4 years since I was a "newbie"!
                        I think this surgery has really affected Sparky (now 12 1/2 y.o.) and I think I panicked last night when his BS dropped so low. I think I O/D'd him on corn syrup since his FBS this am was 521!!! He ate his whole breakfast so I am going to give him his regular full dose of insulin. Since I have to work this morning, I think I will drop him off at the vet's for them to watch him while I have to be away.
                        He does not act out of the ordinary and is walking around, wagging his tail etc.
                        I'll see what vet thinks today.

Comment

yes thats allot going on with sparky so its not a surprise that the sugar maybe off .

maybe with the reduction in the infection the need for insulin maybe lowered so something to keep an eye on

sounds like sparky is on the mend and feels pretty good
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                          X