Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

You can learn more about various insulins available for dogs at the main website:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html

Natalie

Comment

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
      Name: Chevy
      Weight: 15 lbs
      Diagnosed 2/2/2012
      Diet: Taste of the Wild 1/2 cup in the AM and PM
      Dosage: Humilin 11 units 2x daily with meals (still not regulated)

I have never tested at home at this point.

Comment

Dog name: Cadet
        Breed: West Highland White Terrier
        Weight: 19.2 lbs. and holding

Just diagnosed with diabetes July 9, 2012. Not what I was expecting nor was the vet. His starting number was only about 220, but went to 315 the next visit, and 408 the next. Vet said this was the earliest she has ever 'caught' a diabetic dog...she ran tests several times just to reassure herself.

Insulin: NPH 11 units 2x a day (started out a 5 units to take things slowly)

Diet: presently on Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice 1/3 cup 2x day;mixed with Blue Buffalo canned (about a tablespoon)

Vet wanted me to switch last week to Purina DCO....and after reading numerous articles and threads on this site, I said no and will be trying Nutrisca dry with Blue Wilderness canned.

Meter: not doing home testing at the moment. Vet does not like her clients to do their own testing....but I may do this on my own if his numbers do not stablize.

So grateful to find this website and forum. Any comments and/or support would be greatly welcome!

Comment

New to the group, my dog Lucy has been diabetic sent April, been thru hell and back, she had to have a bile duck surgery and was very ill, she used to be in the 500 -600 and my vet did not know a thing. So I did some research and put her on a home cooked diet with 1/8 cup of Innova low fat 2 xs a day, she is on 7 units twice a day, and doing much better. She take detamarin 1 x a day, and she is 11 lbs now. She is a small Maltipoo mix. It is very hard to regulate them. I test at home with Alpha trak 2 meter, used to do it 3 x a day at first now only at evening fasting just to keep an eye out for anything else that could come up. also do urine testing every so often when her numbers are a little high., 7 months ago I did not know one thing about diabetes in dogs. I have kept a journal and chart and write everything in it, even her bowel movements. I get a lot of my supplies for American Diabetes Whole on line. I use NPH from Walmart and having good success with it. Lucky just turned 10, and she did go blind and seems to be fine with it. SO for now no eye surgery. I do have questions. Some times she goes high like 250 -320 and it is hard to bring her back to normal, what could cause that. Do I raise the insulin units or what. and how much. She has never stayed low, her curves go from 250 to 320 but hardly ever lower. So not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks

Comment

Dog's Name: Rockwell

Breed: Miniature Pinscher

Weight: 20 pounds

Diet: Wellness Core Reduced Fat Dry (1/3 cup, twice daily) with cooked chicken breast (1/3 cup, twice daily)

Meter: Walmart ReliOn (MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than the One-Touch Ultra I used before and it works just fine.)

Insulin: Walmart Humulin/ReliOn 7 units/twice a day

Rockwell's diabetes seems to be under good control. His vet is very pleased with his progress. Glucose level tends to run between 120 and 225. Grain based treats mid-day have been replaced with chicken jerky from Costco and small pieces of cooked chicken.
            Last edited by zekeaz; 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

So many MinPins on this forum!

Ruby is a Red MinPin

5.6 ish kilos (12-13 ish lbs)

On Caninsulin 4 u twice daily

Eating W/D and lovin it

Snacks - chicken jerky, raw veggies

Hates getting her shots...struggling with same (both of us) she actually tries to bite the syringe

Glucometer - Alpha trak 2 - Work in progress - home testing on hold till the injections go smoother

Thinking of trying urine test strips but shes getting pretty suspicious of me...
              Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Twinkie, 12-year-old female fawn pug
                Dog's weight: 21lbs
                Diet: Raw with veggies. No treats.
                Insulin: Novolin NPH
                Number of units per injection and injections per day: 6 units twice per day
                Brand of BG meter if home testing: OneTouch

Twinkie was diagnosed in March 2012. She seems to be doing well most of the time but has random panting spells. Her vision has also taken a turn for the worse the past couple of weeks.

Comment

Dog's Name: Roy Victor, 9 years old, diagnosed on 8/24/2012
                  Breed: rescued, his mom was an Australian Shepherd, rumor was his dad was a registered Golden Retriever that 'got around'. He looks like a short golden.
                  Diet: so far, Purina DCO 2cups/ 2xday. I'm researching other foods/ prices, but will most likely stick to a commercial diet, with vegetable treats. Roy has always been an omnivore.
                  Insulin: Humulin N, 12 units 2x/day after meals

I'm so new to this, stumbled on this forum and reading all I can. I have so many questions, and just want to do the best job I can for my best boy.
                  Roy lives with 3 people (me, hubs, and 18y.o. daughter) and another rescued dog, Rudy Lee. He has his own room (unused bar area in our house) with a memory foam pillow and believes himself to be the center of the universe.
                  -Docia & Roy Victor, a 9 yo golden retriever mix, diagnosed 8/12. Roy is 60#, eats Orijen Sr., takes 12 units Humulin N 2x/day, and is master of all he surveys.

Comment

Hi

Mojo: Canadian Shepard or white Shepard lab cross. He is from a shelter but he looks like a well bred short haired white Shepard with a cream coat. Actually doesn't matter...he is a good dog.

He is 7.5 years old and has been with diabetes for 2 years. Vet said he is just unlucky as he was in good health and weight.

He is on Royal Canine diabetic food and has been since the beginning. He does well on it. Treats are of meat type or carrots.

He is 30.6 kilos. He was under weight last spring due to an illness but he is back on track.

He takes Caninsulin 9 UNITs twice a day.
                    He now has cataracts but does really well not being able to see. Even still catches a ball with bells.

I don't use a meter. My vet is around the corner and Mojo is quick to see if there is a problem. We are quite regular to the vets especially since he has reoccurring lymph odes...which is what I will pose as a question later to the forum.

Thank you!
                    Mojo is a 10 year old white Shepard. Diagnosed in 2010.
                    Using Caninsulin 12 units and 175 grams Royal Canine Diabetic twice a day. Blind for three years but he is doing great!

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
                      Brosco, Greyhound, 7 years old

Dog's weight:
                      55 lbs (9/9/2012)

Diet:
                      Canidae kibble with a spoon full of Evangers (flavors vary) canned

Insulin:
                      Humulin-N

Number of units per injection and injections per day:
                      14 units twice a day

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
                      Alphatrak 2

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
                        Allie, mix of pom and sheltie collie, 8 years old. Diagnosed about 2 months ago.

Dog's weight:
                        26 lbs

Diet:
                        Hills diabetic mixed with wet food twice a day. i'm having a difficult time getting her to eat here lately. i think shes figured out when she eats, she gets a shot. it seems to be pure behaviour because she acts completely fine. i have to hand feed her sometimes.

Insulin:
                        Humulin-N (but will be switching to novolin-n since walmart has switched.

Currently at 8 units twice a day but we are still titrating it.

none

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
                          Molly Valentine, Wheaten (but I think she has a little poodle mixed in)

Dog's weight:
                          20 lbs

Diet:
                          Taste of Wild Dry (1/2cup) and 1 Ceasar - 2x a day. Going to change to Merrick because I have learned so much from this forum already.- Thank you

Insulin:
                          Novolin-n from Walmart.

Currently at 4 units twice a day but I still don't think its right.

none
                          Presently using Keto-Diastix for Urinalysis. I must say I have gotten to be a pro at taking her urine. I use my son's old sandwich holder it is perfect and she doesn't mind at all.

Comment

Dog's name, breed:
                            Lila, Jack Russell Wire Coat (sure she's part cat too)

Dog's weight:
                            20 lbs

Diet:
                            Royal Canin Urinary SO W&D (bladder stone episode)

Insulin:
                            Caninsulin (for 5 months now)

Currently at 5 units twice a day (if she'll eat in the morning)

none (but thinking of starting)

Comment

Dog's name : Beau

Breed: Australian Sheppard/Alaska Malamute

Weight: Before diabeties 109, now 96 pounds

Meter used: Bayer Contour

Insulin: Humulim N, soon Novolin N... Will soon be trying Humulin R also

How Much Insulin: 37u am, 38u pm every 12 hours

Food: Wellness Core Reduced Fat/Wellness Senior Canned/Beet Pulp

Treat: Nature's Domain.. Bison and Beef grain free jerkey made in USA
                              Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.
                              Passed on to the rainbow bridge Dec. 11, 2012.

Comment

Dog's name : Bogie

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer

Weight: Before dx 27 pounds, current weight 24 pounds

Meter used: Alpha Trak 2, Relion Prime and Dia Stix Urine Test Strips

Insulin: Levemir

How Much Insulin: 4.5 Units in am and 4.5 Units in pm with W/D after switch to Honest Kitchen Zeal his insulin has decreased to 3.75 units in the am and pm.

Food: When he was initially diagnosed he was placed on W/D Prescription Diet Dry along with boild chicken breast although we had difficulty lowering his BG #'s so approximatley 6 months after dignosed we switched him to "Honest Kitchen Zeal" which has helped to decrease his BG #'s.

Treat: Frozen Green Beans and Dehydrated Chicken
                                Last edited by BogiesMom; 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM. Reason: Updated information
                                Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Working...
                                X