Eddie Bear, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eddie - leg weakness/ neuropathy

Hope the scan and xrays tomorrow will sort things out for Eddie. Will be waiting right along with you to see Eddie's results. Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get some answers.

Louise
    Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Eddie needs to have more tests done. I sure hope they turn out alright for him. Thinking of you both!!

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes - will update you after he's had his scans. It seems strange to be worrying about tumours when he is looking so much better than he has been for the last month....
        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          It seems strange to be worrying about tumours when he is looking so much better than he has been for the last month....
          For me anyway, it's hard not to worry when a vet tells me things aren't right with my dog. Don't have to stay in worry mode though.

Louise
          Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Thinking of you and hoping the test results provide some answers. Hoping nothing serious is found.
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Best of luck today. Hoping goes smoothly and nothing major is found
              Westie diagnoesd 10/12. Diagnosed 7/12 with Lymes. 4 unit of Humulin in morning. 3 with evening meal. As of now home cooked meals and also Standard Process supplements and Chinese herbs.

Comment

Hoping the scans went well.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes - will update you after he's had his scans. It seems strange to be worrying about tumours when he is looking so much better than he has been for the last month....
                  Hope nothing is amiss. Either way though hang on to how much better he is doing.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hoping the scan and Xrays are better news for Eddie!
                    Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hope all went well with the scans/xrays today..wishing for the best for Eddie!

Comment

Oh yes, I am eager to hear how you and Eddie made out too. Hoping nothing was found.

Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

Thank you for all your thoughts.

Apologies for my silence. We had a very sudden and sad family bereavement on Tuesday.

The vet thinks that Eddie has a terminal lymphosarcoma but was unable to test to confirm it. He says if he is right then there is no treatment although steroids may help (but will obviously upset his diabetes).

We are struggling to understand this as he continues to improve on his legs (measurable improvements like being able to scratch his ear again with his back foot, and walking much further out into the garden) and his energy levels are better and he is, for example, sometimes playing ball games again (very limited as he can't see the ball but he manages a bit). His appetite remains very good.

To be honest, with everything else going on, we are just going to keep looking after him as we have been, try to get back into testing his blood and see how he goes.
                          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Thank you for all your thoughts.

Apologies for my silence. We had a very sudden and sad family bereavement on Tuesday.

The vet thinks that Eddie has a terminal lymphosarcoma but was unable to test to confirm it. He says if he is right then there is no treatment although steroids may help (but will obviously upset his diabetes).

We are struggling to understand this as he continues to improve on his legs (measurable improvements like being able to scratch his ear again with his back foot, and walking much further out into the garden) and his energy levels are better and he is, for example, sometimes playing ball games again (very limited as he can't see the ball but he manages a bit). His appetite remains very good.

To be honest, with everything else going on, we are just going to keep looking after him as we have been, try to get back into testing his blood and see how he goes.
                            I am sorry for your family's loss, doubly appreciate you coming on to let us know how things went.

I am sure the vet wouldn't say something so grave without being very confident.....but, I have heard of doctors being wrong. It almost sounds, with his finding the first lump and then saying that was nothing, and now another and lymphosarcoma, but Eddie is getting better.

It is really neither here nor there, he could have extreme weakness from the diabetes and now that is getting better, but still have lymphosarcoma that hasn't truly reared it's head yet.

A lot of folks here have used steroids towards the end to extend the time and quality of life. It can raise the numbers dramatically, but insulin can be raised to accommodate. I honestly wonder if vets have the experience of those on this group, as far as countering the effects of steroids with insulin. It can be a little nerve wracking, but can be done.

There are a couple of threads that you might want to check. One is "Sydney", she is a Sharpei and goes through an awful thing called Sharpei Fever. The other thread is "Patty's Ali". Ali was a very special dog, to say she was our mascot doesn't quite cover it. I think of her as our canine spiritual leader. She has passed on and the group misses her dearly, but there would be a lot of info for you to learn in that thread.

Now Ali's caregiver is Patty who is among one of our superheroes and Ali had other complicating issues, so you don't need to be scared by the toll such care would take. Patty basically gave over her life at the end and not all folks have that ability. I think steroids/insulin in Eddie would be more clear cut.

These are just some examples that if you decide to go that route how the group can help you compensate. Whatever comes and whichever approach you take we will be here to help you through it.

I hear the confusion in your post, but also sense an acceptance and peace, which is never a bad thing. Take care of your family and yourself and take it one day at a time.

Tara
                            Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

jesses cousin scooter has been using a small dose of prednisone for the same thing she was given 2 months last April and still going strong today
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I do hope that the vet is wrong with the diagnosis. It is good that you are seeing some improvement in spite of it. They didn't find anything conclusive then with the other tests? Pancreas was okay? Do you know what symptoms/tests he is basing his possible diagnosis of lymphsarcoma on?

Comment

Working...
                                X