Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Pug Scoop-diabetes and Cushing's

Originally posted by scoora View Post
    Barb-no I don't home test. Scoop has had 3 curves done in the past 7 weeks or so. Since that test tells an average I don't know what the vet hopes to see with it. She didn't explain.
    As Barb said, the test gives you a very rough average of the b/g for the last few weeks.

Considering you've had 3 curves done in the very recent past, I see no value in the test.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hi everyone-Scoop had his fructosamine test. The number is 485. First the vet said good range is 260-378. Then she said something about talking to the lab and they said under 600 is good. The IMS the vet talks to and Scoop's vet agree not to change his insulin dose. He is currently on 13 units 2x a day. He also had a urine test done. I noticed his pee is foamy. He has protein in his urine. She wants to repeat the test in 2 weeks. He has been giving me a hard time with eating his food lately. He has been on Hills W/D now she is going to switch him to G/D. He also does not want to eat any carrots or green beans anymore. He used to gobble up anything you put in front of him. I hope switching his food doesn't cause him to lose weight like it did when he started on W/D. He had finally gained a little weight back. Last time he was weighed he was 18lbs. When I see his tastes change it makes me wonder if his pituitary tumor is starting to affect him. He has always been a great eater and never picky.
      Vicki-Scoop, Raleigh, Archie and Gus' mom

Comment

Hi Vicki,
        I have to run to work, but wondering if checking for ketones would be a good idea. Elevated ketones can make them not want to eat.

Hang in there. It is so hard when you have concurrent conditions.

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Thinking of you and Scoop!
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Holli-Thank you

Tara-I have the urine test strips that also check ketones. I haven't checked in a week or so. I'll see if I remember tomorrow.

Comment

There are a couple of different scales. The scale on which Scoop's fructosamine test was rated should be printed on the hard copy results of the test so you might want to get a copy so you can sort it out for yourself.

On the fructosamine tests we did in 2006 from IDEXX, the scale for the results was:

350-400 ... Excellent
              400-450 ... Good
              450-500 ... Fair
              Greater than 500 ... Poor
              Less than 300 ... Prolonged hypoglycemia

I have seen other tests where the ranges are much smaller numbers.

If this was the scale for Scoop, "anything under 600" would be a pretty poor standard of regulation to go by...

If it was me, I'd feel better getting a copy of the actual results from the lab.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie-Thanks. I wrote myself a note to remind me to call to get a copy of the results.

Comment

Scoop's not doing too well. I think the pituitary tumor is affecting him. He started getting picky with his food a while back. It has gotten worse. He won't eat any of his g/d food. Raleigh eats Alpo and Scoop has been eating some Alpo then he just stops. He will not eat any cooked chicken. That was always his favorite. I am so scared. What I wanted to know is does anyone know of a good quality canned food that has gravy in it and is low fat?
                  Thank you
                  Last edited by scoora; 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Don't have any food tips but sending big hugs your way. Scoop has an amazing fight in him.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by scoora View Post
                      Scoop's not doing too well. I think the pituitary tumor is affecting him. He started getting picky with his food a while back. It has gotten worse. He won't eat any of his g/d food. Raleigh eats Alpo and Scoop has been eating some Alpo then he just stops. He will not eat any cooked chicken. That was always his favorite. I am so scared. What I wanted to know is does anyone know of a good quality canned food that has gravy in it and is low fat?
                      Thank you
                      Merrick has some great canned food. They are pricey but well worth it! Tiggy's favorite is the Turduncan, and Thanksgiving day. Both have the gravy you're looking for. I so hope Scoop starts eating and feeling better!!!!!

Sandy

Comment

Holli-Thank you for the hugs.

Sandy-Thank you for the well wishes and the food tip.
                        Can you get Merrick at PetSmart?
                        Can't be any more expensive than Hills from the vet.

Comment

Sending good thoughts to Scoop. I noticed you live in Pa. If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, some carry Merrick.

Jake
                          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Linda-Thanks. I think there is one around. I'll have to check.

Comment

I picked up some cans of Merrick at a Tractor Supply Co. So far Scoop gobbles it up.

Scoop was started on Flagyl yesterday for diarrhea.

Scoop's going for a BG curve tomorrow. Saturday a spot BG was done at the vet's. I've been a little worried because of him not wanting to eat his Hill's and I've been giving him other food what it was doing to his BG. His reading on Sat. was 200 about 4.5 hr after his shot. That's pretty good for Scoop. See what tomorrow brings.

Comment

When my Maggie was having her pancreatitis attacks and refusing all of the different prescription foods, Merrick canned was her salvation. We only use the Cowboy Cookout flavor because my non diabetic schnauzer won't eat the other flavors. I don't know how I managed to get two picky eaters.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X