• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Good morning!

Name: Shadow 9 yrs old diagnosed 3/1/2012

Breed: Cairn Terrier

Weight: 18 lbs

Diet: 1/4 can Hills Science Presciption Diet W/D wet, 1/2 cup Hills Science W/D dry for grazing eats this amount twice a day
    Insulin: Humulin N - 9 units 2x/day
    Last edited by JayneN; 05-05-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Welcome,

Sorry to meet you with our dogs both diabetics, but we will make it. This forum has been very helpful, may I say a God send. Just my thoughts but I have done a lot of research on what food is good for our best friend. I started on Hills Science Presciption Diet because that is what my vet was pushing. Well when I looked at the ingredients it did not make sense to me. First thing is corn meal, what is that a starch, which turns to sugar. It just didn't make sense to me, so I found Wellness Core Reduced Fat that is very healthy. Seems to work well but my friend has not been regulated yet and Beau was diagnoised in September 2010. It is a constant hit and miss and I am told one day the right combination will work. Read a lot here and knowledge will make you feel better.
      Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.
      Passed on to the rainbow bridge Dec. 11, 2012.

Comment

Name: Joey
        Breed: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
        Weight approx 22 pounds
        Insulin: Humulin N 5 units 2X day
        Diet: I researched dry dog food and decided on Orijen Senior since it has won awards for low glycemic the past two years. His treats are also award, Nutrisca freeze dry. I did make up some treats that contain brown rice flour, ground turkey and eggs.
        Joey is my foster dog who came into rescue with diabetes. I am hoping with the food and treats I can help get his sugar levels down. When he went to my vet 2 weeks ago (when I got him) they were ranging between 230 & 400. He goes back on the 13th so fingers crossed this is working.

Comment

Name: Annie
          Weight 70lbs
          Age 8 yrs this month
          Food: Hills Science Diet Light -
          Dose/Med: Humulin N - w/1 can of food am and 1 can at pm feeding: 17u/17u
          still regulating (w/vet visits every 3-5 days) - so yesterday at 4p (8 hours after 1 can of food and 15u) she tested at 323. Vet upped to 10u (w/ 1/2 can or 17 w/1 full can)

The more I read the more questions I have being a newbie !

how will i know if her blood sugar goes too low or too high? I need to get a meter to read at home. can someone recommend best one ? Annie will not like getting pricked i'm pretty certain but i have to get her used to it. How often should I do it? I think once we get a bit of regulation thru the vet visits, home reading is important, right?
          what is a curve?
          forgive me on this one - what is the term for too low sugar, is it hyp ____?
          what is the name of the syrup to use if she goes into this state?
          So far she's been fine but dont want to be unprepared if anything goes wrong.

I'm trying to read but one thing leads me to another link to another and i'm feeling a bit confused.
          After a correct dose, does your dog get quiet, fidgety or anything like it to expect?
          Treats - i see people give chicken, hard boiled eggs - my vet keeping us on a pretty strict diet of reg food and veggies - is this because she is getting over pancreatitis (which seems over with) and also because she is still being regulated?

My cushings boy is barking in the other room because he's alone so going to go keep him company : ) thanks everyone...
          Last edited by sugabuga; 03-17-2012, 04:48 PM. Reason: forgot to add something..

Comment

First thing. I am a newbie!! Have learned so much in 1 month on this site!

Abbey (mini schnauzer) was diagnosed March 1st, 2012 and started on NPH.

Weight: 13-14 lbs

Her current diet: Hill's w/d kibble and Merrick canned (Low glycemic)food.

Insulin: NPH 4 units 2 x a day. Still trying to get her regulated. Note: Check out Walmart for the NPH. No Rx needed and vial about $24.99. Ensure to get the syringes to match the insulin.

Meter used: TRUE2Go. Love it! Will test with a drop the size of a poppyseed. Purchased 1st meter, TRUEtest. Was a good meter, BUT needed ALOT more blood to test. Tip: Take your meter to the vet with you, if you get a curve done to see how your meter measures up to the vets. This way you can rely on truer readings at home.
            Abbey-diagnosed March 1, 2012. Authority Seniorl canned and boiled chicken. ProZinc 2x a day. Current dosage 4 1/2 units, am and 4 1/2 units pm. BG meter AlphaTrak2 (pet meter)

Comment

Hi,

Name: Toby 7 yrs old diagnosed 4/4/2012

Breed: mixed Breed

Weight: 35 lbs

Diet: I'm still working on this toby is so spoiled and set in his ways this will be the hardest part.

Insulin: Humulin N - 5 units 2x/day

I'm a total newbie toby my mixed breed was just diagnosed 3 days ago and I'm totally lost I just brought him home yesterday I just started him on insulin I haven't figured out a diet yet he is spoiled and i need all the help I can get toby means everything to me.

I post more details as I get them, but I also don't know what I should be posting to get the most info I will need.

thank u
              tobysdad
              Last edited by tobysdad; 04-08-2012, 04:29 AM. Reason: to add more info

Comment

Hi! Newbie here, I hope to learn more about my baby's disease on this site.

Dog's name, breed: Athena, she is a 9yo German Shepard/Rottie mix
                Dog's weight:Currently 61lbs (she was 70lbs before being diagnosised and dropped down to 55 lbs, still working on getting her back to a healthy weight)
                Diet: Hill's Active Longevity 2xs/day
                Insulin: Humilin N
                Number of units per injection and injections per day: 19units 2xs/day
                Brand of BG meter if home testing: Still in the market, but I cannot wait to start testing her myself.

Comment

Hi there

My Name is Cheryl I am in Australia I just found out my beloved dog has diabetes he is spent the day at vets and they told me he reading was 23 and after the insulin it came to 17 I asked her if I could test my little man at home and she said no …I said I don’t understand why you can’t test at home as when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes …she said that was their job to monitor it and to bring him back next week for his curves ……of course I was not happy with this because I was worried I would over dose him on insulin if his readings where not that bad , so I jumped on the net and this is where I am at…

I also have heard of a dvd called reversing diabetes in 30 days by raw for life ( for humans) so I started thinking if a raw diet reverses diabetes in humans why can’t it work for dogs I haven’t feed him commercial food since reading food pets die for by Anne martin ..however I was feeding him brown rice potatoes and pasta mixed with raw mince …..obviously this has not been the best heath choice as I didn’t know of his condition until know, I did find b.a.r.f but I noticed it has carrots in the formula and carrots contain natural sugar I am so confused

I have him on turkey. Chicken and salmon at the moment but he is a big boy so it gunna cost me a fortune … can you please help me with some advice

I love my boy so much and I am devastated at the news

I Went out yesterday and bought a meter to measure his levels this morning his reading was 23..5 I tested him again at 1.02 pm and his reading was 22.9 …I have no idea what I am doing here because my vet gave me no advise on food except just keep feeding what you always feed him …but isn’t rice, patatos, pasta all wrong ..

Also has anyone on here have an unvaccinated dog with diabetes ???? think I will find a new vet please help he is a collie x blue healer on 5ml insulin twice a day …the vet said to olny feed him twice a day when his shots are due is this correct

cheryl

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Ryley, yellow lab
                    Dog's weight: now 85 was 105 before he got sick
                    Diet: 2c regular dry food and 1/2c oatmeal 2x/day
                    Insulin: humalin n
                    Number of units per injection and injections per day: 17/day x2
                    Brand of BG meter if home testing: n/a

Hi everyone we are very glad to have found this site Being a "newbie" to this I was extremely overwhelmed and felt lost. I have been reading for a bit before I finally decided to post. Our Ryley was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. He was having a hard time walking(thought he got kicked by a doe in the backyard) when we finally brought him to the vets. (He is extremely picky and only likes one vet @the hospital and had to wait for her.) He had a large amount of keytones(reason for rapid weight loss) in his urine and had to be in the hospital to start getting those down. He has been doing good since and are finally seeing our boy back, but not regulated yet, has to go for another curve next week.
                    Deanne & Ryley 6 y/o yellow lab diagnosed 4/2/12 17u Humulin N 2 x day

Comment

Hey
                      and welcome one of the moderators will come along and move this thread over to the other side. Or you can start a new in the forum section and tell us more about Ryley.
                      How was he walking before he got kicked?
                      welcome and again you have found the best forum for support.
                      Jj
                      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Hi my name is Roy, and my dog is Watson. I am new to all this and am extremely thankful I found this forum.

Dog's name, breed: Watson, lab/Doberman mix, 11 years old
                        Dog's weight: Currently 61lbs (he was 65- 68 lbs before the diagnosis but was a little overweight for his size anyway. He was right at 60 lbs for the first 4 years.)
                        Diet: Horizon Legacy, 1 cup per meal x 2 per day, 2 tbs pumpkin mixed with ½ tsp 4Life Transfer Factor supplement.
                        Insulin: Humilin N
                        Number of units per injection and injections per day: started at 15 units 2 x a day, just went to 18 units 2x a day after the last curve test this past Monday, April 16. Will return on April 30 for another curve test.
                        Brand of BG meter if home testing: Vet says I don’t need to test at home, but I don’t buy this and her explanation of why I don’t need to worry about testing at home.
                        Exercise: About a 20 – 30 minute walk, depending on how much he wants to smell around and sniff everything. He has reinjured an old CCL injury from about 3 years ago, so the walks are slow until I can get him back to walking without too much pain. He also has hip dysplasia in his left hip, though that has not caused him any problems so far. I have him on 100 mg of Rimadyl a day, but he was on 75mg of Deramaxx until they stopped making it recently. I prefer the Deramaxx over the Rimadyl, but no side effects I can tell of. I also give him 2 Phycox tablets 2 x a day, these are supplements for the glucosamine and Chondroitin extras.
                        Watson: 11 year old Lab mix. Diagnosed 4/5/2012. - Went up on Dose 8/10/12 to 18 U Humulin N 2 x day. Diet: Horizon Legacy, freeze dried "Stella and Chewy's," - Separately prepared food 3 tbs of butternut squash puree mixed with 2.5 tsp 4Life Transfer Factor supplement, Flaxseed Meal, steamed broccoli and green beans.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Runner, greyhound

Dog's weight: 78.8 pounds

Diet: Royal Canin Diabetic

Insulin: NPH

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 12 units in the am and 12 in the pm

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Currently I do not use a meter to check Runner's glucose, but watch for clinical signs and symptoms. I also check his urine. I do have a One Touch if I see anything that may be hypo or hyperglycemia

Comment

Mary...I created a new thread for you of your very own. It's titled Runner. Just look down and you should find it. Welcome to the forum!
                            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

dogs breed Minature Schnauzer Name Gunni
                              age 8 1/2 weighs 28pds.
                              humlin insulin now using 10u 2x a day
                              Eats fit and trim with boiled chicken
                              I use the alphaTrak2 monitor to keep track of his levels. It is a little more expensive, but I need to be as accurate as I can as his glucose spikes up to the 400's, have only recently been diagnosed (Feb 2012) Still working on getting him regulated, but he has an infection in his anal glands which is really throwing him for a loop!

Comment

Watson
                                Lab mix
                                63-65 lbs
                                Humulin N (NPH)
                                17 Units 2 x a day (8am - 8pm)
                                Meter: ReliOn from Walmart (Got a Freestyle Lite but no strips yet) My goal is to eventually get an AlphaTrak 2 from Abbott Labs.

Food:
                                Was using Horizon Legacy, transitioned over to Darford Zero/G (Poultry and Seafood) 5.2 dry ounces per meal.

3 tbs of 100% pumpkin puree, 2 tbs steamed broccoli and green beans finely chopped, 2 tsp Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp 4Life Transition Factor supplement for immune system health. I give the kibbles and pumpkin mix separately.
                                Watson: 11 year old Lab mix. Diagnosed 4/5/2012. - Went up on Dose 8/10/12 to 18 U Humulin N 2 x day. Diet: Horizon Legacy, freeze dried "Stella and Chewy's," - Separately prepared food 3 tbs of butternut squash puree mixed with 2.5 tsp 4Life Transfer Factor supplement, Flaxseed Meal, steamed broccoli and green beans.

Comment

Working...
                                X