Cara earned her wings last nite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cara

I always thought the goal was to be within 100 and 200 with your lows dictating the highest dosage. It looks to me like you have 100 points of wiggle room. Perhaps I have been overachieving with Sammie??

Sorry - I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm very happy for you but just a little confused. Enjoy

Can I ask what you feed Cara?
    Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Yes, the goal is between 100 - 200....as I have to recalculate the Canadian mmol to the American mg there might be few points or so difference. On her last curve she is not yet in that range and she was on the Caninsulin a month ago and had been for 1 1/2 yrs.(of course with some unexplainable higher readings on occasions)
      Cara is on 3/4 cup WD topped up with 1/4 cup cooked chicken and raw green beans, chopped 2x day.

Hope this helps.
      Marion

Comment

• Re: We're back!!!!

thanks Marion. I miss him every day just as you miss Polly and everyone else on this board misses theirs. Hopefully we will see them all again someday
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I always vote for aiming for the ideal of 100-200 as a range. But I also know that some dogs can't get there safely for various reasons. They have really unstable curves or experience a big drop in blood sugar at some point.

Cara certainly has the potential to make the ideal given how flat her blood sugar is.

I have kind of a schizo approach to diabetes: aim for ideal but don't fret it you can't reach it because the dogs who can't can still have a long healthy happy life as long as it can be gotten down into something averaging in the low 200s. They are fairly tolerant of modestly higher blood sugar. But no reason to give up on the ideal early!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
            Hi everybody!

Update on Cara...we're doing a lot better....She is now on 10 units in AM and 9 PM (had this problem with Caninsulin too in the beginning)
            Today:

5.25 AM 226 fasting
            7:30 248
            9:30 201
            11.30 199
            3:30 PM 232
            5:30 226

Way better than those nasty 400's!!!
            Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful... Congratulations!
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Looks great to me Louise!
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Natalie, your words of wisdom are as true as always Cara will stay on this dosages for a while...just to see if she keeps it up! The ideal is 100 - 200, but this is not an ideal world so we have to settle for the hand that is dealt to us and make the best of it. In the ideal world none of our "sugar babies" would be in this predicament!
                Marion

Comment

Fabulous curve, Marion! Huge congratulations to you and Cara!
                  Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:25:54 (PDT)
                  http://www.coherentdog.org/
                  CarolW

Comment

Thanks, Barb and Peggy, it's so great to see some lower BG's and a happier Cara!
                    Marion

Comment

Thanks Carol, All I do is the "poking" and "pricking".....Cara does the rest!!!!!
                      Marion

Comment

• Cara earned her wings last nite

Just to let you know that after 12 years and 10 mnth Cara has earned her wings last nite.
                        It was not the diabetes, just old age. But that did not make it any easier.
                        Like to thank you all for all the support we have received over the years.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!
                        Marion

Comment

• Re: Cara earned her wings last nite

I'm sorry for your loss. They wiggle right into our hearts
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

So very sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss. Cara was well loved and well taken care of, ... and I'm sure he knows that as she waits for you in that better place.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

you did such a good job managing her diabetes i was very impressed and i am sure just that alone gave her a much better quality of life

over 12 years is just a testament how well cara was cared for and loved i think we all wish they could stay around much longer they come into our lives briefly and have such a huge impact on us for the good for the rest of our lives
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X