No announcement yet.

Sweet Bella passed away (February 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Bella passed away (February 2019)

Our 9 year old Dachshund Bella was acting completely normal 3 days ago. 2 days ago she started drinking water excessively but still eating her dog food normally and I knew something was up so yesterday we went to the vet and they said she had a blood glucose reading of 352 and diagnosed her with diabetes. The vet gave us vetsulin and told us how to give shots at 1 unit 2 times a day to start off with. The problem is as of yesterday Bella refuses all food. Now, the vet is closed and I'm not sure what to do. I've been reading information online non stop since we found out, and it's my understanding that she needs food for the insulin to work so we haven't given her any shots as of yet. Am I correct on this?
    The last thing I want to do is give her too much insulin and at the same time I'm worried about her not having any food and getting low blood sugar. She is drinking water, not excessively like before but she's doing nothing but sleeping pretty much. So thankful I found this forum where I can ask questions!!

Re: Just diagnosed yesterday needing advice

Was this the food she would normally eat?

Very high blood sugar often makes them not want to eat... 352 isn't sky high - was that with no food in her stomach?

If so, her blood sugar could be much higher.

How much does she weigh?

The insulin dose sounds quite conservative unless she's very tiny so it probably would be safe to give her that much insulin.

You can buy a human meter at a pharmacy and test her blood sugar yourself to make sure it's actually high and there isn't something else going on with her.

See the following pages for assistance in learning to test her blood sugar at home:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/monitoring.html

http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

Best bet for a meter is a OneTouch brand - they tend to work very well with dog's blood. And you don't want a superfine lancet. You need a thick one.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you for replying Natalie,
      Yes, we offered food she would normally eat, I've tried everything even just cooked roast beef but she's just not interested in any of it.
      Yes the 352 reading was with nothing in her stomach, she had eaten dinner the night before but refused breakfast before going to vet.
      She weighs 18 lbs.
      We did buy a ReliOn Prime meter and lancing device that came with ultra thin lancets, I wasn't able to draw any blood with it. The only lancets I see are for Thin, Ultra Thin and Micro Thin. What should I be looking for?
      The OneTouch brand is all out of stock.

I forgot to mention that she had vomited the night before taking her to vet, water and the food she had for dinner. Vet gave her a shot that was supposed to help with the vomiting. Vet said Bella didn't have a fever, had no blood in her urine or stool. But she just vomited again, and it was watery, and brown with what looked like a small piece of dog food even though she hasn't eaten since Friday night now. I have no idea what's going on but
      I'm going to try to get her back into the vet tomorrow morning hopefully. I feel so bad for my poor baby

Comment

Did your vet test for pancreatitis ? It can be a complication and a cause of diabetes in dogs and can be life threatening . I would recommend a vet visit definitely test for pancreatitis
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree, pancreatitis is common early on, and it's serious. There's a simple test the vet can do in his office.

And one unit for an 18 lb. dog is too little. Should be 3 or 4 units.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

We're on our way back to the vets right now where they are going to admit her to give her fluids and do another blood panel to send to the lab. We will mention testing for pancreatitis. Thank you! I will update once I know more!

Comment

Just wanted to let you know our sweet baby Bella passed away overnight at the vets last Friday. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask questions during this very confusing time. Our hearts are broken and our entire family is in shock as she was a happy healthy dog just over a week ago.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss...
                Max is a 17lb terrier mix. Born 1/2014.
                Diagnosed diabetic 3/2018.
                8 units Novolin N twice a day.
                Nature's Recipe Grain Free

Comment

I am so sorry for for your loss. Everything happened so quickly, it's understandable that you're just in shock. You were extremely attentive to Bella's needs and did everything you could.

My vet told my that typically diabetes doesn't just happen in older dogs, that usually something brings it on and the hard part can be figuring out what that something is.

Snickers and I are sending hugs and prayers to you at this difficult time.
                  Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Oh no... I'm so so sorry. Sometimes diabetes is secondary to something more serious.

We would like to hear more about you and Bella if you feel like sharing.

Sending her a kiss skyward and a hug to you.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Sweet Bella passed away (February 2019)

I am so sorry for your loss...

take care and stay strong..<3
                      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
                      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
                      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
                      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Bella was way too young to journey to the Rinbow Bridge.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

I'm so sorry. It's really tough
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                          X