Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 AM

Default KELLY

Hi all,

My dog was diagnosed with diabetes today which was quite a shock. Kelly is a 10 year old KelpieX and has had her first dose of insulin tonight. She is on 9 units of Protophane every 12 hours. I live in Australia so hopefully the questions I will be asking about products I will be able to get here or at least be able to purchase from OS. Kelly is booked in for a curve test on Tuesday however when I mentioned home glucose testing to my vet he said it was not necessary. I only mentioned it because I knew that people with diabetes regularly checked their sugar levels. I was surprised to then read that this is in fact very common.

So I have a few questions

What testing kit should I get, I noticed that most use either the One touch ultra or alpha trak. Do you know if these units are available for purchase in Australia?

What is the optimum blood glucose level once stabilized?

How often should I test?

I am sure I will have many more questions but I should do some more reading first.

Thanks in advance

Lou
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Re: KELLY

Hi to you and Kelly...

Cant give you much advice because my dog is also a Newbie, but youll find lots of help here!

Ruby hates her shots, but in a short month she has improved a lot, no huge amounts of pee, no lethargy, acts like a puppy, seems really happy now!

I have an AlphaTrak 2 recommended by my vet, but cant get a sample without a huge fight, maybe an hour or so! Ill be taking her to the vet for curves as I can afford it, so THEY can be the badguys!

After a month of treatment, I am really pleased with the results...and she loves her low calorie high fiber food because she actually gets more!

It is quite a shock at first, I cried a lot...but its getting easier as time goes by...

Good luck to you and Kelly
Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Welcome Lou & Kelly!

About to go out the door for errands, but wanted to say hello.

We have members from OZ and I'm sure they will check in with you for your specific questions to Australia.

How much does Kelly weigh? What sort of food is he eating? Any other medical conditions / medications?

Linda, my wife, just called and told me to "get in gear", so I've got to run. I'm sure others will be along soon.

Craig
Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Founding Member

hi and welcome to both of you

yes you're right, home testing will greatly improve safety of your pup and better regulation and the meters you suggested have a good track record but any human meter will work. I have a discount meter that gets very good results

these meters aren't perfect but close enough to determine how to adjust dose and if you need to intervene with liquid sugar if the numbers came up low on the meter

really dont understand why a vet would discourage testing if a patient would like to. a doctor would never give that recommendation to a human diabetic. Maybe the veterinarian community is still trying to catch up to the technology i am sure a decade from now most vets will recommend home testing

Last edited by jesse girl; 08-24-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Lou, welcome to you!
There are some people in Australia that have had some good success with the OneTouch Verio meter. http://www.onetouch.com.au/
Good to have you here!
Patty
Old 08-24-2012, 10:36 AM

As Jesse Girl said, any meter would work to start with. If you can take some time shopping around at both stores and online, pay attention to the cost of test strips. For the most part each style meter requires their own brand of test strip. Different brands can vary greatly in price. Most of us test at least twice a day (prior to meal / insulin), and frequently more often.

If you don't already know, the States use a different unit of measure than OZ, and most of the world We use mg/dL, while your meter / vet would use mmol. Excellent regulation would be around 5 - 11mmol, but that is impossible for many dogs to maintain. I've set a goal of 5 - 14mmol (90 - 250mg/dL) for Annie. She will occasionally be above, or below, these numbers.

One important thing to mention. The lowest number is the most important. Very low blood sugar can cause coma and death. You might want to discus this with your vet, or chemist.

I'm still out on errands and typing on my iPhone, so I'll end for now because my fingers are way too large for this phone keyboard.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Btw, multiply mmol by 18 to get value in mg/dL.

Divide mg/dL by 18 to get value in mmol
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't get much sleep last night. Could I please ask what type of diet would be optimum. She is currently on just a dried kibble (super coat), should she be on a high carb, low carb, high protein, low fat???

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Many would recommend a higher fiber, lower fat diet. Your next question will be higher / lower than what? Some vets / members would recommend a diabetic prescription diet, but many of us just feed a quality food. You might compare labels either at the store, or online, to choose something that has a little less fat than the average. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions! Does Kelly eat his current dry kibble? Finding a food that they will eat is probably the most important consideration, unless there is another medical problem.

About meals, Annie needs an exactly repeatable amount of food. I use a food scale to be as repeatable as possible. Other dogs don't seem to be as demanding and measuring cups are OK.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM

My dog has food allergies so I made no diet changes, but because of her allergies she was on a fairly strict diet to begin with.

I'm with Craig. It's more important that they eat than what they eat. So, if your dog will eat prescription w/d, which is a recommended diabetic food, great. If the dog won't eat it, then find the next best food the dog will eat. Just keep the feeding to a 12/12 schedule for the best results.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.