Camellia Camelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camellia Camelo

Yay Carol!!! Way to go Camellia! Good girls! *pats both on the head* That totally rocks!
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

love your writing Carol! hooray for success, backs that don't hurt and Camellia!!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Carol, that was so much fun reading about your bathing adventure. You should write children books (what am I talking about, I'm an ol bitty and I enjoyed the writing).

I forgot to mention that I don't wear boots, but I do wear one of those disposable plastic raincoats when it's bathing time. I even have a small bar stool (which Ron cut the legs off to match the height of the tub) and that makes things even easier.

Hopefully, this treatment will at least alleviate the itching.

Louise

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo - tons of nonsense - puns

My beloved forum buddies - it's SO nice for me that you like my stories. Well, I love humans as much (at least, almost as much; haha!) as I love dogs. And I love kids.

I'm not really sure those are exactly children's stories, though kids should enjoy them at a certain level, but I think it takes adult sophistication and knowledge to get the fullness from the stories!

Just in case you want more of the same sort of stuff, there's lots of it on Coherent Dog.

For example:

http://www.coherentdog.org/arc2006/debunk.htm

And another, in a similar vein:

http://www.coherentdog.org/arc2006/stingmantra.htm

And some later ones on the main site area, where, after finding this forum, and realizing I no longer needed to provide much info on canine diabetes - because the best info is here - I degenerated into the utmost of nonsense - very self-indulgent of me! I do LOVE to tell stories! Are you sure you should be encouraging me?

For instance, there's a long and involved series that starts on Vekkie's Diabetes Playground:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/index.php

If you keep using the NEXT buttons above the main pictures, those will take you through, first, explanations of some of the oddball characters, such as SkyHook, Skylight Outside, Skylight Inside, and eventually, I think, the CarSisters - descendants of Carlotta, whose web has protected many. (I think Carlotta appears in the "OldHome" area.)

After the introduction of SkyHook et. al., you get into the Merry Measure area, which was originally intended to allow users of Vetsulin (or Caninsulin) to use the 'wrong syringes" (U-100 instead of U-40), so as to get the thinner, shorter needles - to keep especially smaller dogs and cats more comfortable with injections - and to do it safely - my effort there was to provide a kind of intuitive perception of measurements, so people might sit up and pay attention, in case they were about to inject far too much (or far too little) insulin. A kind of Alert-Alarm, if you like.

But there are lots of nonsense stories in there. It's a very long sequence, so if anybody goes there, I suggest bookmarking the last page you read, and later returning there to continue when you have time again.

And after all that, I got into even wilder nonsense, some of it in the main area - such as,

http://www.coherentdog.org/canodyne.php

To understand that one fully, you need to read through the Merry Measure pages first.

And eventually, I got into the necessity of picking the right syringes, which means, of course, you have to examine the Syringe Bushes with care, and make sure to get the right one for the right insulin - so you get good pickings from the bushes.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/journeysyr.php

By the time you read through a few of these pages, it will have shown your mettle for the most outrageous puns and nonsense. (hehe)

Fair warning - the pages should load pretty fast, but the reading of them will be time-consuming. I suggest this stuff for people who share my delight in puns and nonsense.

I DID try to keep the information about canine diabetes as accurate as I could!

Oh, and there are some more debunk articles, too, for instance:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/vkkdebunk.php

Explanation of the Boogie Brush:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/boogiebrush.php

And illustration of some of the work of the CarSisters (descendants of Carlotta)

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/bugaboogie.php

Sorry I don't have those all quite in the right order. You could say, I'm a bit disordered this morning.

Lots of love to all of you - this is absolutely my favorite online forum! Actually, I only very rarely go to others.

Because THIS forum is so good, I can safely indulge myself telling stories.
          Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:12:42 (PST)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

So glad it went well, Carol
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Carol, your stories are humerous and entertaining. You really should consider writing and seeking to be published. We can say, "We know her when . . ."!

Mary
              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Patty - thanks! Oddly (not!) I too am glad it went well. I'm even hoping one day Camellia will actually enjoy her baths!

Mary - I'm far too Olde and Tired and HomeBody to take on the promoting and traveling that would be required for a published author.

I AM published - self-published - on Coherent Dog - and I don't have to travel for that; haha! But thanks for the thought!

Anybody is welcome to save my stuff to your own computer.

Love you all! This forum engenders additional love and bonding.
                Sun, 6 Nov 2011 15:48:26 (PST) - going for a nap!
                CarolW

Comment

I'm over here on the sofa, in my favorite place - Mummy - why are you crying? (00) [purposeful new signature]

Well, Camellia - it's Audrey. You didn't meet Audrey in caton, and neither did I, but though my own last cat, Prancy, died late in 2005 at 19.5 years, I always loved cats. ;-& [accidental new signature]

I could live with a cat, Mummy. Why don't you get one? (00)

I can't afford another animal, dear Camellia. Nor do I have the energy to care for two these days. Instead, we can borrow Hobo, the black cat who looks in our window sometimes. ;-&

When he does that, if I see him, I bark at him. (00)

That's because you don't think he's family. He IS; just not OUR family directly. ;-&

Lucky I already had my bath today, and even my spray, too, about 2.5 hours later. Otherwise, your tears would be wetting me down. (00)

Yeah; Camellia. They're wetting me down a bit. But - you were SO good in the bath again - even better than last time. ;-&

I was, wasn't I! I didn't even get nervous this time - pretty much knew what to expect - that is, you were NOT going to wash my head and face. (00)

Right! You didn't even shiver or shake. You DID still hug the side of your Tub nearest the outer wall of the shower stall, but you moved over when I guided you gently with my hands. ;-&

And this time, Mummy, you got smart. Hung a clock on the wall where you could see it from the shower stall. (00)

Yeah, so I made sure that special shampoo stayed on for at least five minutes before rinsing it off. Then we did a LONG, long rinse. ;-&

It was long, all right. I hugged the outer wall again, but you guided me to let you rinse my right side. (00)

And you moved over nicely; thanks so much, Camellia. I tell ya, it was nice - and I got one foot out of the stall to reach for your Towel Number One, to wrap you in before lifting you out of your Camellia's Tub. ;-&

And you set me down on the floor in the Great Room - office, kitchen, living room, all rolled into One. (00)

And you got the Zoomies. ;-&

Of course! EveryDog is entitled to get the Zoomies after a bath. (00)

It really helps you get dried off some. Then when finally you got back up on the low daybed, I dried you a lot with Towel Number One. It was enough to take some of the water off. ;-&

But not all of it, by any means! And even though I'd rolled a lot on the Low DayBed and the Sofa during my Zoomies, I was still fairly wet. (00)

You were, so I got Towel Number Two, and worked on you with that. I felt really good that first, you seemed ALMOST to enjoy the bath, and now, to enjoy the drying as well. ;-&

You're pretty good with your hands, Mummy. Anyway, I give you a passing grade. (00)

Thanks, Camellia. Let's hope the baths continue to go this well. I'm sure both of us need practice, to make them truly great. ;-&

I suppose we do need practice, and I don't mind, as long is it isn't TOO often. (00)

Once a week, Sweetie-Pyzie-Byzie-Wyzie. Saturdays should be good days for baths for you. ;-&

So then, Mummy, you came over and picked me up again, a little more than two hours after we finished the bath. Wasn't I good! I didn't even try to escape! (00)

Camellia - you were truly great. I appreciate that so much. I also REALLY hope it will help you with the shuffing. It might. We're replacing your failed skin barrier. Little by little. ;-&

With Phytosphingosines, Mummy. (00)

Right on, Camellia. I keep wanting to call it FidoSphinxoScenes. ;-&

That would be a good name for it, except I don't know what it has to do with Sphinxes. Maybe Fixes. PhytoFix-o-Scenes? (00)

You're going to get me all-mixed-up, Camellia. ;-&

No worries, Mum; you're all-mixed-up anyway. (00)

Haha, Camellia! I suppose I am. Does it show all that much? ;-&

I don't think I'll answer that, Mummy. I love you anyway. (00)

Thanks, Camellia. I love you too. With a total passion. ;-&

Okay, Mum; let's sign off; I think I want a nap now. (00)

Good idea, Camellia - I need a nap, too. ;-&

Love and hugs, licks and wags, and lots of Magic-Wand waving, to all our buddies here - humans and dogs - and cats - alike. ;-& (00) ~~~ ~~~
                  Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:15:24 (PST)
                  Last edited by CarolW; 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM. Reason: fix Camellia's signature
                  CarolW

Comment

Thanks Carol. Your post brought a smile to my face.

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo - Dynes for Yunhee

I'm glad if we brought a smile to your face on this difficult day, dear Yunhee.

http://www.coherentdog.org/canodyne.php

Camellia is very observant. As most dogs - and cats - are!

Lots of love and hugs,
                      Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:06:43 (PST)
                      CarolW

Comment

• Re: Camellia Camelo - feeling better!

Camellia is feeling better tonight. What a HUGE relief.

We did our third Laundry Tub bath today, early-ish this morning, for scheduling reasons. The whole procedure, including spray, takes a few hours - no dryer, so I towel-dry Camellia first (well, when she's finished her Zoomies - though I wrap her in a towel when I lift her out of the tub, she tends to escape the towel pretty quicky, and does a lovely roll-myself-dry on the sofa and the low daybed opposit it 0 they're about four feet apart - Camellia leaps and jumps from one to the other - of course, throws and towels on both protect the furniture - and help dry Camellia).

THEN I towel-dry some more. It's a couple of hours - more like 2.5, before she's dry enough to spray.

So it's back into the Tub to spray, just so any extraneous spray doesn't go too far away! It's very controllable, though, and doesn't disperse messily much!

Had an interesting exchange with the manufacturer, when I inquired about my spray technique, which wasn't exactly as recommended.

Camellia's coat is so tight and curly that I can't, as instructed, brush against the lay of the hair enough to let the spray reach the skin. I inquired in the morning, and by evening (the other day) had a response. They said they recommend double the spray dose for dogs with very long, or very tight, curly hair. They added that the spray travels down the hair shaft; and said there's no problem with "overdose," which I'd expressed as a concern. And said, the phytosphingosines travel all over the body, dispersing over the skin.

Great stuff!

Antihistamines, Phytosphingosines - should be able to make a lovely nonsense-song out of that one!

The Reactine (antihistamine) was no longer being effective, I finally realized, so we're now on Chlorpheneramine (Chlortripolon), 2 mg three times daily.

Tonight, after bath and spray this morning, when finally dry, about noon, a walk; and now on Chlorpheneramine, Camellia finally shows clearly she feels better. She's returned finally to sleeping on her back, hind legs spread out, forelegs folding and hanging - you know that look, I'm sure!

Just delivered her last dose of Chlorpheneramine for the day, so now it's beddy-bye time for both of us.

It's SO good to have very little shuffing now!
                        Good night, all! Sweet dreams!
                        Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:44:33 (PST)
                        CarolW

Comment

Oh yay! I'm SO glad she's feeling better! You are such a fantastic mom, Carol! It's a lot of work but you perservered and it looks like it's paying off for you two!

I'm keeping an eye on it since Hank has seasonal allergies that get very bad and I still am not sure what we'll do in the spring but this is an idea I'm keeping in mind.

Hugs and congrats!

(And yes...we know that look...I've got one that belly hangs too!)
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Carol,

How is Camellia doing? You are totally overdue for an update...what gives? LOL

Kevin
                            Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Hey, thanks for asking! I'm reeling from lack of sleep after changing to a new (only five years old) computer - this one runs Windows 7, so I have to learn that - my old machine has XP.

Poor Camellia put up with me doing a 23-hour day, then a 19-hour day, then another 23.5-hour day. I know she just said to herself (and told DogDaddy George by email), Mummy is nuts.

But I DID meet all her real needs during that time.

Getting a bit more sleep now, desperately needed - but wondered why I'm doing this for a MACHINE instead of for a DOG!

Mum - you ARE nuts! (00)

I know, Camellia. But much of this work is for you, if indirectly. ;-^

I guess it's a better computer than our old one. (00)

You're right; it does lots of stuff a lot better and faster. ;-^

You NEARLY forgot my bath. (00)

To be continued - gotta run!
                              Sat, 17 Dec 2011 08:00:37 (PST)
                              CarolW

Comment

Good to hear from you. My newer PC runs Windows 7 also; it's quite different than XP. Frankly, I liked XP better!

Camellia, you keep Mum in line for us, OK?

"Sure! I like that job!!!"

Mary
                                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Working...
                                X