Sidney has passed December 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newly Diagnosed, still not Controlled

I have had good luck with Merrick canned and Nutrisca dry and cans but Maggie has real sensitivities to potatoes and rice as carb sources. Her belly rolls and rumbles and she has runny poops and her pancreatitis flares up when she eats food that has potatoes or rice.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

it does sound like a possibility with the symptoms you described
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What kind of Merrick? I saw some on Amazon, but was concerned with sugar content.
        Brooke- aka Sidney's Best Friend

Comment

Can I treat the pancreatis at home where it's at? Or do I take him to hospital?

Comment

You should get him tested. Make sure they do the Spec cPL blood test. It is the test that will tell if it is pancreatitis for certain, since he doesn't have the classic symptoms of vomiting or bloody stool. Regular blood work won't show for certain.

You should be able to treat at home if he isn't dehydrated or gets worse.

Merrick classic - the flavor Maggie favored was Cowboy Cookout. But they all have catchy names like turducken or grammy's pot pie. Grammy's was a little rich for my dog but may be fine for Sydney.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Sidney has gotten worse this week. On Monday Johnny took him for the second cushings test and the vet said the pancreas test came back and the levels showed he did have pancreatitis. Thank you for calling me and telling me…..

On Tuesday his BG was so high it didnt register. We gave him 5 units of R every 3 hours and got him down in the 200's. At 8 pm I gave him his normal dosage of Levemir.
              We have been feeding him chicken and rice with pepcid ac at each feeding in addition to Gas X. As directed by our vet.
              On Wednesday I came home to him stuck in his own diarrhea. He must have had to go and then slipped in it and since his back legs are so weakened he could not catch his footing. I had to wash all the floors and him. He even had feces in his armpits. His BG still seemed quasi normal in the high 200's. He was still eating.
              Yesterday I came home to him in his poop again, but this was much less feces.
              Keep in mind he is only alone for a 2.5 hour window.
              He keeps us up all night having to go up and pacing, he is restless. He seems very cold and after I bathe him I wrap him up like a burrito on the couch. When he went out later in the night he had diarrhea all over his little legs and packed in his paws. I had to wash him again.
              This morning he was 500 and had no appetite for chicken (I cant blame him since its been coming out of him and smells awful) and he ate pieces of bread and some unflavored greek yogurt.
              I called the vet again, he wasnt in today so I spoke with his partner. He called in a prescription for I/D and metronizadole flagyl. He has had a horrible time walking and seems very uncomfortable. He is shaking like tremors. He ate the flagyl in some cheese around 3 pm.
              He is laying on the floor with a blanket on him. He ate half a can of !/D just a few mintues ago.

I dont know if I should take him to the vet or keep treating him at home. I'm afraid he will be very uncomfortable and stressed in the hospital. I came home crying that I might have to put him to sleep.

i dont want him to suffer and I hope this weekend his stomach rights itself.
              His blood work from 9/25 came back wonderful, better than last time. So, this is really a blow.
              He does not seem to be dehydrated, still has an appetite and is going to the bathroom with loose stools. However, he looks very uncomfortable and the shaking is very concerning.
              My other vet just suggested Tramadol. I am going to give him a second dose of the Flagyl tonight before bed and one dose of the Tramadol.

Any advice is welcome!
              Thank you!

Comment

Hi so sorry to hear that Sydney is feeling so bad. It sounds like he is in pain, which is normal for pancreatitis. I would get him on the tramadol asap. It also sounds like he is dehydrated from the diarrhea. He may need fluids. If you can I would bring him in and get him hydrated and they can give him IV meds.

Don't give up. JoJo has had pancreatitis more than once and I know it is very scary but they can recover.

Mary
                JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

I forgot to mention that if you and your vet is willing, you can give fluids at home subq. No IV needed. I have done it many times and it helps to have him home.

Mary
                  JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

I think it sounds like Sidney needs to go back to the vet, or emergency vet if your vet isn't open. He might need some help to get him through this.
                    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Tramadol should help. I don't know what your vet is saying but I don't even try to feed Maggie any solid food until it passes. Maybe pulverized chicken and broth but that is all. The i/d might help.

Comment

On our way back from vet. He is much better today. BG 176 didn't want the I/D but ate the flagyl & tramadol in a piece of Swiss cheese. And I make him some egg whites & white rice.
                        He got sub cutaneous fluids & of course was super perky at the vet. Barking at cats and grabbing his leash

Comment

So glad he is doing better
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Happy he is doing better.

Barking at cats is always a good sign.

Mary

Comment

Yay! Glad you took him in and that he feels so much better :-)
                              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Thank you! I am so happy he feels better. My hearts on a rollercoaster with this pup.
                                So far so good. Still diarrhea & picky eating, but he is 100 times better!

Comment

Working...
                                X