My cat Audrey: Audrey is at peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Yunhee - I don't doubt that when the time arrives, you will muster the necessary courage. That is what you are like. Courageous throughout, and always caring very deeply for each of your animal companions. Any pun on caring intended.

Love and hugs to you and all your animals,
    Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:19:21 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Yunhee,

I echo Carol's words. You are such a dedicated mom and I am sorry you are going through this. Enjoy every minute with your Audrey.

Take good care
      Louise

Comment

I am a bit shocked as Audrey's cytology indicated osteosarcoma, not squamous cell carcinoma. Apparently, bone cancer is extremely rare in cats, and they most often occur on legs.

Comment

I'm very sorry Yunhee. I think you said this is not something you have had to do before. My experience is that you will know when the time has come.

Just 10 days before we let Gus go he had been doing pretty well. Our main problem was that he was not wanting to eat very well. That changed pretty abruptly and he was so much worse - the light and the fight went out of him - and then we knew what we had to do. The vet who had seen him just a few weeks earlier was shocked at the change in him in such a short time.

He had fought his IBD and arthritis for so long... there was a sense of peace that he didn't have to fight any longer and could be at rest. It doesn't make it any easier but the path you have to follow is clear and that helps a little.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you, Natalie
            We had an oncologist appt today. She said that as far as cancers go, osteosarcoma is much better than squamous cell carcinoma. She suspects that it's been there a long while, but we would have not found it because it started deep within her jawbone. She does not think that the size is that large as far as osteosarcomas go. Unlike in dogs, feline osteosarcomas do not tend to be as metastizing apparently.
            She will get Piroxicam which should help cut blood flood to the tumor. It should also help with the inflammation and pain. Until the compounded Piroxicam arrives, Audrey wiil get Buprenorphine for pain. She will get Piroxicam every other day. She will have another appt in two weeks for blood work. If blood work is OK, we will add another oral medication.
            The oncologist also likes the idea of working with a holistic vet who prescribed some Chinese herbs for Audrey. She says that Chinese herbs often help to support the entire system to fight the cancer.
            She also wants me to continue using Azodyl as it does protect the kidneys.
            Keeping my fingers crossed that I have some more days with Audrey where she is relatively happy and pain free.

Comment

Yunhee,

You are a wonderful caring Mom, and will know when the time to let go. Praying that the new meds will keep Audrey painfree, so you can enjoy her remaining days together.
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                Yunhee,

You are a wonderful caring Mom, and will know when the time to let go. Praying that the new meds will keep Audrey painfree, so you can enjoy her remaining days together.
                I definitely agree, Yunhee. I admire your dedication to your pets. You will know when it is time. My heart goes out to you!

Mary
                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

That's interesting (and good news) that feline osteosarcomas don't typically metastasize. I too am praying you have many more pain free and happy days with Audrey with the treatment she's undergoing.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sorry, I've only just seen this thread. I'm a cat lover too so I do know how much Audrey means to you. 20 is a wonderful age and is a tribute to you that she has got to this age. I have 8 cats and until my recent ill health, I was breeding them as well. I'm hoping I will be able to go back to breeding once I've recovered from my upcoming surgery.

Sounds as though the oncologist is being very helpful and not being too pessimistic. I hope that you will be able to give Audrey many more months of quality life with his help.

If you are interested I run a small Yahoo email support group

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cancerpetsUK/

I know it says UK but we do welcome members from any part of the World. It's not a busy list so you won't get inundated with tens of emails everyday. I know there are a lot of dog and cat lovers on the list who have all sorts of experience with animals with cancer and who would be there to help and support you through the good and bad times.

Wishing Audrey well.
                    Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

As we are both dealing with ill cats, I wanted to let you know about a product I found at PetCo. Cat Milk. I've always heard that our dairy isn't really all the good for cats, as much as they like it. And apparently someone has come up with a milk fit for cats, with nutrients in it. I happened upon the Cat Milk - made by Friskie's, I think, at petco when I was looking for pill pockets for my cat.

She loves this cat milk, and I consider it a good treat for her, plus a little nutrition with lubrication, too. Maybe it's something that your cat can drink and enjoy?
                      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hmm - Audrey will probably like it. I will get it this weekend and see if she likes it. She has taken to eating Harry's Before Grain canned meat formula. I basically give her anything she wants (which seems to include everything dogs get).
                        This cancer has grown exponentially, and she's been eating a ton. I feel like her excess appetite is going to this miserable tumor.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
                          This cancer has grown exponentially, and she's been eating a ton. I feel like her excess appetite is going to this miserable tumor.
                          I feel the exact same way.

BTW, I give her a little at a time, and store the rest in a jar in the fridge and heat it a little in the microwave before serving it. Hope she thinks its a great treat. She deserves it.
                          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Just saw this thread and am so sorry you are going thru this! Never easy to have older pets...my last was 17..nearly 18 years old when her kidney disease became just too advanced.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can medically! I can't offer any suggestions for this disease.

I do know that no matter how much you think you didn't pay attention or didn't spend time with her...she loves you and will always do so! Just remember that you gave her a wonderful home and she never went without anything a cat could want...and yes, I agree...if she'd wanted more, she would have asked for more. You're a good mom and you have SO many happy memories and still time to make more!

Lots of hugs and good thoughts your way!
                            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                              That's interesting (and good news) that feline osteosarcomas don't typically metastasize. I too am praying you have many more pain free and happy days with Audrey with the treatment she's undergoing.
                              Must admit I was surprised to read that Osteo in cats is better than Squamous Cell. In dogs it's totally the other way round. Just shows how different species can be so different doesn't it?

My Addison's poodle also had Squamous Cell Carcinoma in one of his toes. It was amputated (the toe that is) and I was told that the odds are very slim it will come back. Apparently, it's quite a problem in black dogs and Standard Poodles in particular.
                              Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

I know - but unfortunately in Audrey's case, her tumor is very aggressive (grew 5x the original size in a month).
                                Audrey has been spending a lot of time near the dog's waterbow. I thought she was drinking, but it turned out that she is soaking her tumor. The cold water must help with the pain. A sad sight to see this little girl trying to alleviate her pain. At least, she has a will to try. She is on Buprenorphine to help with her pain, but I am thinking of upping her dosage.

Comment

Working...
                                X