Coti has a foster home! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coti has a foster home! :)

There is a senior dog in Burbank, CA, who is diabetic. Owner passed away and the son plans to euthanize or shoot her in a couple of days when he comes to settle the estate.

I have contact information if anyone is interested or knows someone who can foster her (funds will be provided for her care) and/or adopting her.

k9diabetes@gmail.com

Natalie

Re: URGENT Foster Home needed

Any idea the size, sex of the dog, housebroken, whether he/she gets along with other dogs?

Comment

I have some additional details and contact information if there is someone with a genuine interest.

Let me know if you want me to forward the email to you.

Natalie

Comment

[[[[ BIG SMILE]]] Way too big a smile for a little emoticon!

It looks like our very own Rick (Fishslayer), foster dad to Lucy the cattle dog a few years ago, is going to foster Coti, the senior diabetic chocolate labrador who was urgently needing a foster home!

She is now officially in the custody of a rescue organization so is no longer in danger of being euthanized. Is staying at a vet's office until she goes to her foster home.

Yay!!

Natalie

Comment

That's wonderful news!!!!
          Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

I'm gonna need to get back up to speed. A lot has changed. Thankfully Coti is already on the Relion Humulin insulin. She's on home testing already & a meter is coming with her.

She's also on Metacam, an NSAID that we are currently trying on our arthritic GSD. I'm guessing it is causing Coti no issues. Gonna have a housefull of creaky jointed old fourlegged women! The generic Metacam is pretty reasonable from Walmart. Needs a prescription though. Hopefully the rescue can hook me up with that.

The rescue told me she has 3 months worth of insulin. I know we discussed insulin longevity one time. IIRC wasn't it determined that as long as it was refrigerated it should be good to go for much longer than the one month recommended by most manufacturers?
            Last edited by Fishslayer; 09-13-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Unopened and refrigerated bottles are good through their expiration date.

It's only after you start using a bottle that inconsistent mixing and punctures with needles and injected air can cause the insulin to degrade or change strength.

It seems like NPH may not be as long-lived as some of the other insulin preparations. Still, it seems to vary from person to person - and probably with how sensitive the dog is - as far as how long you can make a bottle last. A month to six weeks is probably the average.

A dog like Patty's Ali is so sensitive to small variances in dose that she would probably react to a very slight change in potency.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Coti has a foster home!

Ah yes. Now I remember. The punctured rubber.

Note to self: Ask rescue for any curve data. With all that Coti's been through the past month I would wonder how valid any recent data would actually be. Poor girl.

Comment

This is wonderful news,
                  Yay for Rick and Coti!
                  Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Such good news and so lovely that its Rick opening his home and heart to Coti!
                    Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

that is such great news. thank you Fishslayer!
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

A very noble deed, my hat's off to you, Rick!!!

No doubt, two lives will be enriched.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

What great news! Noble indeed.

Can't wait to hear about her. What a very lucky girl she is.
                          Tara in honor of Ruby.
                          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

This just warms my heart. What a saint!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Wonderful news.... There is special angel looking over Coti.
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                              X