onetouch or freestyle with alphatrek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onetouch or freestyle with alphatrek

hi i have a one touch ultra meter and also a alpha trek that i use with freestyle light strips im running low on strips and going to stack up my supply's was wondering witch strips should i buy and witch ones more accurate

freestyle light with alphatrek or onetouch ultra appreciate some advice and experience of use

just to note i have been using onetouch ultra and have got my dogs numbers under 260 most of the day i recently ran out of strip and started on my freestyle lights and found her blood sugar much higher about 50-100 with the alphatrek and also checked with the freestyle light meter and found them more closer with the onetouch help appreciated

Re: onetouch or freestyle with alphatrek

I only have the one touch ultra meter. Every time I take Jake to the vet, we use the same blood sample and compare the results of my meter and their AlphaTrak. There is usually around a 30-40 point difference with the vet's meter reading higher. I just keep this in mind when I test at home.

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

My OneTouch read around 47 points low (unless under 80 then was about 28 points lower than actual).

I'll let others comment on the AT with Freestyle strips.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Craig............
        Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

I tried to use Freestyle lite strips with my alphtrak and the numbers were off. I couldn't get consistent numbers when compared to alphatrak strips.

So, I would stick with the one-touch or get alphatrak strips for the alphatrak. If you go with alpha strips, code to 7 because the new strips re made for the new meter.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

If I can understand my notes from back in June, this is what I saw on one comparison (all tests done on the same blood droplet within about 10 seconds):

old (gray) AlphaTrak with current FreeStyle LITE strip = 141
            new (purple) AlphaTrak2 with current FreeStyle LITE strip =144
            new (purple) AlphaTrak2 with new AlphaTrak2 strip = 177

In this very unscientific test (only a single test), FreeStyle LITE strips in either AlphaTrak model seem to be a few points lower that AT2 meter with AT2 strip.

A year or two ago the old style FreeStyle LITE strip (straight edge, no barb at the blood test spot) seemed to be identical to the old AlphaTrak strip (again - straight edge, no barb at the blood test spot). I doubt these old strips are available any longer.

Today, if I bought a new (purple) AlphaTrak2 meter I'd use real AlphaTrak2 strips.

As Cebe indicated, FreeStyle LITE strips were coded 7 in both meters.
            Last edited by CraigM; 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM.
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
            X