Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helping dog to GAIN weight with diabetes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping dog to GAIN weight with diabetes?

Hello from Kathy B and Chase (Belgian Malinois/GSD mix, age 8-1/2) in Central Illinois, diagnosed with diabetes mellitus in November of 2013.

After a rocky time of trying to get Chase stabilized with correct type/dosage of insulin, we have finally done that; he is taking 14.5 units of glargine insulin (Lantus) twice daily and all his blood work values have gone back to normal except alkaline phosphate, which is still a bit high but no longer at dangerous levels.

Chase has never at any time been an overweight dog; but due to the diabetes onset he lost quite a bit of weight initially and went from about 61 to 53 lbs. My vet put him on Royal Canin Prescription Diabetic Diet, which Chase absolutely hated and only ate about half of whatever I would give him.

In order to get him to eat it at all, I had to mix it with the canned tripe (Tripett) product he had been previously eating - but his values were not good at the time and I could find very little nutrition information out there for canine diabetes.

I finally found a product Chase loved and would eat (and that I found nutritionally acceptable--the Royal Canin product was mostly corn and barley), it was Honest Kitchen "Zeal" (fish-based, dehydrated food).

All Chase's blood work values went completely back to normal on this, I was able to reduce his insulin from 20.5 units twice daily to 14.5 (so far).

What I need your help and input with is this: the Zeal product is very high-fiber, and Chase can easily eat nearly six cups per day of this without gaining very much weight, as most of it is fiber which ends up as a waste product. While he has gained back some of his lost weight by eating this, I'd really like to see him add a few more pounds.

Is there anything I can safely add to his food that will help him gain a little more weight without also skewing his blood values that we worked so hard to stabilize?

Prior to this I've always made my own dog food & training treats; right now Chase is still getting cooked semi-dry diced meat as occasional treats (mainly roast beef, chicken or pork).
    Could I (or should I) add some of that to his bowl as part of his meal? Or would that be a bad idea?
    Experienced input/advice would be most welcome here, thank you.
    Kathy B and Chase in Central Illinois

Re: Helping dog to GAIN weight with diabetes?

Welcome to you and Chase. I don't have a lot of advice to offer for weight gain other than the standard disclaimer that over time Chase may gain back the lost weight. As he becomes more regulated you may see the weight start to come back on.

My boy was the opposite, we had a hard time getting him to lose weight. Near the end he had muscle mass loss and in order to combat that we added boiled shredded chicken and green beans (straight from the freezer). For him chicken and green beans had little impact on his blood glucose.

Some have increased their dog's food by 25% until they reach the desired weight goal -- then they start to reduce until they are able to maintain the desired weight. The only thing to watch is sometimes when you increase the food you will need to adjust the insulin. If they are not balanced, and the body can't properly utilize the added food, you still will not see weight gain.

I'm sure others will be along soon.

Best of luck to you and Chase on this new journey of yours.

Holli
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

i am with holli if he is gaining some weight just give it some time no rush you only have to worry when the weight is not stabilized and loosing quite a bit still and it sounds like you are not in that place.

it took my jesse 6 months to put adequate weight back on her digestive system was so delicate we could not rush it
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks, Holli - I was glad to hear that the addition of boiled chicken did not affect your dog's glucose levels, I may try that.

I'm feeding him so much Honest Kitchen "Zeal," and there's so much fiber in it that Chase typically gets full after eating nearly three cups per meal and doesn't want any more after that anyway. So it would be nearly impossible to increase the amount of it I feed.

I do have baked, diced chicken breast in the freezer, will try adding some of that and see how he does.
        thanks to both of you who responded,
        Kathy B and Chase in Central Illinois

Comment

We had a similar problem with our dog losing a lot of weight initially. He did gradually put it back but over a period of many months. It took about 8 weeks at least just for him to stop losing weight let alone putting it back - so compared to that it is still quite early days for you.

Adding some extra meat sounds like a good plan. I also give Eddie eggs (raw or cooked) and they don't seem to affect his glucose levels but do give him a bit of extra nutrition.

I expect that if you keep at it and manage to keep him fairly regulated, you will find that the weight gradually comes back. Like everything else to do with diabetes, it is a long slow process!

Antonia
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

There isn't much information on diet and diabetes because, sort of surprisingly perhaps, diet is not that big a deal for canine diabetics. Because they are akin to Type 1 humans, process the insulins moderately quickly, and have a very individual process of digesting food and absorbing insulin, lots of diets can work well for them.

In fact, a lot of dogs absorb insulin quickly enough that they require some carbs in their diet and do not do well on mostly meat diets.

It's just a question of what diet works well for your dog.

Once the blood sugar is in a reasonable range - 200s to 300s - the weight should come back on if he is getting enought calories.

Of course, if there is so much fiber that he won't eat enough food to get enough calories, you will need to do some tweaking.

Inevitably, you have to experment while considering any other health issues.

For example, a dog with a tendency to pancreatitis can't be given a food with a relatively high fat content. And some foods will be digested so quickly that they cause the blood sugar to shoot up.

Ideally, if he can consume enough calories of the Zeal and it's working well with his insulin, stay with that.

Natalie

Comment

Oh boy..We meet again..With all of our issues, this is hopefully not a biggie. Suzie use to weigh 15 lbs years ago. When diagnosed with DM in August 17, she weighed 12.5 lbs/5.67 kg and have had her on diet for ideal weight of 10 lbs/ 4.53 kg..Now, she is 4.94 kg which was great but I need her to gain a little to 5 -5.5 kg without screwing up the insulin and diet. Are there foods that will not raise BG but can help her gain 1/2 lb or so by April? The 4 frozen tiny green beans with 1 chicken bit to alleviate a low BG often shoots her BG to 300's..so she gets no snacks.. not sure how to proceed...or do I just have to accept the fact that the BG will increase as well as her insulin potentially? Maybe adding more chicken will add some calories with minimal to no BG effects? Thanks for reading this stupid need to gain a few ounces!!!!
              Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
              https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

I dont think a green bean and a bit of chicken caused your dog to spike .it was probably the body dumping sugar to preserve life coming off low numbers
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                X