Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help on less gassy food!

Originally posted by BestBuddy View Post
    Sometimes Buddy had gas but he was too much of a gentleman to "fart", so we always called them "bottom burps".

Jenny

Well I picked up a small bag of Taste of the Wild today to see if that will help.
    ~Kathy
    Drew 9 (6-25-02), Mara 5 (1-26-06) & Alana 9m (9-28-10)
    Kai 10 year old Weimaraner blind 2 years from diabetes(6-21-01)

Comment

Originally posted by BestBuddy View Post
      Sometimes Buddy had gas but he was too much of a gentleman to "fart", so we always called them "bottom burps".

Jenny

That is HILARIOUS! I'm totally going to use this one!
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Re: Treament and testing question

Ok I bought the OneTouch Ultra 2 today. Thats all they had so I hope that was ok too.

His number was 317 couple hours before dinner and shot. I will test again right before dinner/shot and right after tonight.

How accurate do you think that reading was on the meter? I would really like him down quite a bit more. No wonder his vision went bad the past few weeks. He is still too high.
        ~Kathy

Comment

Often the OneTouch Ultra (2 is fine) is about 40 points low but no one can say how it will be for you guys. It varies not just dog to dog but even sometimes among meters of the same brand.

When you get a chance next time Kai's at the vet, have them test the blood sugar on a lab or in-house analyzer and you test with the meter and see what you get.

I'm so glad you started testing! It is the best for peace of mind.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks and I am so glad I did too. I need to go pick up some Vetsulin today so maybe I will bring him and ask for a blood test. I wanted to weigh him there as well. I am about the change vets but will run to the old one for this. He is such a trooper so far. He does not mind me doing this at all.

In a way I am mad they were so slow treating him and that I was not more aggressive with them. It might have helped his eye sight dropping so fast. My poor baby. He neuropathy never totally went away but he still walks much better. He can get on the couch now and has once jumped all the way up on my bed! His other paw started doing it too but just a little. He sort of walks on the back part of the foot.
            ~Kathy

Comment

Kathy,

As Kai's bg's continue to get lower and closer to where they should be, I believe you will see the neuropathy keep getting better and better. Most of the time it goes away when you get close to or at regulation.

So there sure is hope for Kai's neuropathy to clear up!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by crazydayz View Post
                Ok I bought the OneTouch Ultra 2 today. Thats all they had so I hope that was ok too.

His number was 317 couple hours before dinner and shot. I will test again right before dinner/shot and right after tonight.

How accurate do you think that reading was on the meter? I would really like him down quite a bit more. No wonder his vision went bad the past few weeks. He is still too high.
                I am having problems regulating my dog too so I know your frustration too. My dog's on Vetsulin as well.

I got a One Touch Ultra 2 and I really like the big backlit display on it. My dog is also very large. We checked the meter with the vets and I was only 10 points lower in the 400's. They use a One Touch too, and say they have checked it against lab tests many times and were very close.

I test on his poor little callous and I use the lancet holder that came with the meter. I **love** the Soft Touch clicker but I wasn't getting enough of a stick for his callous. I tried just lancing his callous but it really hurt him because his callous isn't very big or deep. I am trying to get him ready for lip testing and will use the Soft Touch for that.

You made a wise decision to blood test, I am so sorry about your dog's eyes, I really am.

snow <--person + Devon <---her cutie dog

Comment

So this morning his before meal/shot was 312 and then after meal/shot 154. So that looks much better.

My vet did say I was free to up or down 2u of the vetsulin depending on his eating. I might end up doing this.
                  ~Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
                    Hi,
                    I found this quite hilarious When Lucy "farts" she always turns round to her tail as if to say "where did you come from" and then runs across the room it is quite funny.
                    ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING!

That is what Andy does, like what was that? And where did it go????

Comment

Soething is wrong with Kai's eyes! His eyes went pretty bad a few weeks ago. Slowly bumping into things but nothing too bad yet that I know of. Anyhow this morning he woke up and they are almost closed. If I look at them they are very red and it looks like part of the center skin is covering them. I dont think he sees anything today. Any idea whats going on? Yesterday they just looks like standard cataract eyes.
                      ~Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by crazydayz View Post
                        Soething is wrong with Kai's eyes! His eyes went pretty bad a few weeks ago. Slowly bumping into things but nothing too bad yet that I know of. Anyhow this morning he woke up and they are almost closed. If I look at them they are very red and it looks like part of the center skin is covering them. I dont think he sees anything today. Any idea whats going on? Yesterday they just looks like standard cataract eyes.
                        Sounds like they are inflammed, I would get to the vet to get some eye drops, my dog's eyes had this happen to (in particulary the one) and the drops will clear it up.

Comment

Time for a vet visit. It sounds like some sort of inflammation which needs to be sorted out pretty quickly.

Jenny

Comment

I just called the vet and will go in first thing in the morning. She thinks maybe ulcers.
                            ~Kathy

Comment

Glad you got an appointment. Eye inflammation in general and corneal ulcers in particular can be very painful. Chris was the king of slow-healing corneal ulcers - he had a corneal defect that made the corneal cells cement poorly.

I hope it's "just" inflammation, or maybe an infection. Ulcers are a pain to deal with.

Cataracts do cause inflammation so their sudden development could be the problem. Dogs with mature cataracts should be given a daily anti-inflammatory drop.

Some steroidal ones are inexpensive but can raise blood sugar. Nonsteroidals are great but also expensive. We used Voltaren as with Chris' issues (he also got viral infections in his eyes) the ophthalmogist did not want to use steriod drops. I used to call Voltaren Liquid Gold considering how much that tiny little bottle cost but it worked perfectly to keep Chris' eyes healthy.

I sure hope it's just some inflammation and some drops will take care of it.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you all. I am not sure what it might be but reading on Cherry Eye the pictures sort of look like that. Its like there is skin starting to cover the eyeball. Would an ulcer do that? My poor baby I hate seeing him like this. Seems like one thing after the next.
                                ~Kathy

Comment

Working...
                                X