Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member Snowball

we enjoy positive updates

Its amazing looking back how panicked we were and how we were going to be able to do this

We figure it out and live in the new reality and it can be as rewarding as life was before if not better
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Unfortunately things have gotten worse again. I'm not really sure what's wrong. She gets same amount of food twice a day. Her readings aren't bad. Under 300 almost all day. Really about the same as they were when she was doing fine. Now though she is getting numb again and after she eats it takes like an hour or more after the shot before she can walk.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Founding Member

Is snowball in any pain after eating ? any other symptoms ? How are the stools any vomiting urinating ok ?

What do you mean about getting numb
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Nothing really. I get her home from work and she can't really move. We hand fed her past couple nights around 630 and then she gets shot at 7. Around 830 she can move again. During the day she is having trouble with her back legs and early in the morning say around 830am she falls on her face a bit.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Founding Member

can you correlate anything with this episode to the previous episode ?

I always look for commonality with a returning problem in jesse or even me .
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM

No it's basically like the insulin isn't lasting quite long enough. At least during the day. I have two bottles and both are the same. Levels seem fine as well although they creep higher than I'd like end of day but they are around 150 low and then in 200s a good amount of time.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
No it's basically like the insulin isn't lasting quite long enough. At least during the day. I have two bottles and both are the same. Levels seem fine as well although they creep higher than I'd like end of day but they are around 150 low and then in 200s a good amount of time.
I would tend not to think its anything to do with blood sugar with what you posted at 150 to 200s for most of the day . It sounds neurological in nature which can be difficult to figure and may need some expertise in that department . Some have used vitamin b for leg weakness but i dont know how effective that is

so snowball is in no pain ? No unusual panting ?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM

She was just 198. Her behavior corresponds with her levels throughout the day.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Some recent readings using walmart relion meter. She has been walking around all day although you can tell she is a bit numb in the back. I took her out around 2:30pm probably and she was walking. Now at this last reading, I stand her up and she basically just falls down. She will stay like this until probably 8:30 or 9pm till her shot at 7pm works its way through.

Feb 19th Feb 20th 2019 Feb 21st 2019
6:15am 347 6:15am 233
9:20am 147 9:30am 191
11:15am 204 11:10am 150 12PM 280
1:15PM 284 130pm 220 2PM 264
4PM 324 5PM 347 4pm 298

Feb 22nd
6:15am 172
9am 244
11am 162
1pm 205
3:24pm 301
Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Administrator

That does sound neurological or perhaps pain/weakness rather than blood sugar.

I've been involved with diabetic dogs for... 15 years now... and what I've seen with diabetic neuropathy is that it typically occurs in one of two cases:

- very high blood sugar - 500s, 600s - sustained over weeks

- lower levels of blood sugar like you have when there is another underlying problem with communication over the spinal cord

In the second case, the blood sugar seems to overlay an existing deficit so has an effect at much lower levels.

Weakness from arthritis is another possibility.

Does she knuckle her back paws under? Or just kind of collapses?

GP vets typically can do only a very basic test of proprioception and often don't know how to interpret it accurately. If it doesn't seem to be from pain or joint weakness, I strongly urge you to consult with a veterinary neurologist if at all possible. There is much they can tell just from a physical exam - many little tests they do can isolate what kind of problem is occurring and where.

We have worked with veterinary neurologists and have seen other diabetic dogs here on the forum and they were well worth the cost of a consult.

Natalie