Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Diet-associated heart disease in dgs

Recent article on heart disease associated with grain-free and other unusual diets. Our nondiabetic dog was diagnosed at 8 with a heart murmur and has been taking CoQ10 and a taurine supplement for more than three years. These supplements gave him more energy and a stronger heart beat and the murmur has stayed at grade 2.

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/0...c-ingredients/

Natalie
Old 04-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Diet-associated heart disease in dgs

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I've always felt that we just don't know that much about diet and nutrition for people, let alone animals. It's one of the reasons I have been rotating varieties and brands of food for Snickers for years.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Wow this is a scary read..Mochi is eating a low fat kangaroo diet right now and has been for almost a year...should I talk to my vet about this and change it? Have you guys heard anything about the Raine Clinical Nutrition low fat kangaroo maint?
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Founding Member

I think looking at overall health of a dog plays a big part . If your dog is doing well and for diabetics having adequate regulation I would hesitate to change anything because regulation can be so challenging and have them feel better.

I think the article talks about a specific supplement that maybe devoid in these diets as a problem
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM

It's definitely helped with his high triglycerides but now I'm struggling to find a dog food that's hypoallergenic and low in fat thats not grain free...

Changing his diet is always scary..I'm really stuck now..
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchow022 View Post
It's definitely helped with his high triglycerides but now I'm struggling to find a dog food that's hypoallergenic and low in fat thats not grain free...

Changing his diet is always scary..I'm really stuck now..
I would not worry about it . Its never going to be a perfect world . As long as they are doing well steady goes the ship
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 AM

It doesn’t appear to be long term study, more a bunch of observations with some similarities. Not conclusive enough yet to make me change a diet that is working.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.