Ricky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky

I haven't posted here in a loooonnnggg time, life intervened, and I had less and less time to browse and chat. I just wanted to check in and say that Ricky is still here, still playing ball, still patrolling the neighborhood from the perch on the back of the couch. He is barking at a neighbor who dares to walk outside as I am posting this, and I am so grateful for the sound of it. In June, Ricky will be celebrating seven years, and there are no words to express the bond we have, and the gratitude I have for the people here and at the old board(s). Thanks for all you do!!

Re: Ricky

Yay!!! Congratulations!!!! Nice work!
    Melinda & Maggie,14 yr. old mixed breed adopted in August 2001. Novilin N, 18u 2x a day; Alpo and Beneful canned food; she's getting up there, but doing alright! Blind, deaf, arthritic, but diabetes is well controlled.

Comment

Hey you! It has been a while! I'm so happy to hear that Ricky is doing well.

Natalie

Comment

I have been an absent old friend for a long time, but my life has eased up some, and so now I am back and catching up with what everyone is doing. I have been on some of the Facebook forums, but there is a lot of misinformation being given, and it is upsetting to me. So, here I am, back again! Hoping to keep learning from the very best for years to come.

Comment

welcome back

Rickey reminds me of my daughters new addition he is a cross between chihuaha and wire hared JRT . a funny combination but cute and of coarse lovable .

he has those big tall ears like ricky
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Seven years, ... wonderful!
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksma View Post
              I haven't posted here in a loooonnnggg time, life intervened, and I had less and less time to browse and chat. I just wanted to check in and say that Ricky is still here, still playing ball, still patrolling the neighborhood from the perch on the back of the couch. He is barking at a neighbor who dares to walk outside as I am posting this, and I am so grateful for the sound of it. In June, Ricky will be celebrating seven years, and there are no words to express the bond we have, and the gratitude I have for the people here and at the old board(s). Thanks for all you do!!
              that was my Jenny's favorite thing to do when she still had her sight. So glad Ricky is still on the job!
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Welcome back read your thread when I first signed on, what a lucky fella!
                Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

We are soon going to take a trip to Austin to visit our kids, and it is about a 15 hour drive. Does anyone have any suggestions for making sure I have everything we might need for such a long ride? I will have to feed and inject during the trip. FUN!

Comment

We made the two day trip (10 hours each day) from WI to FL 6 weeks after Charlie was first diagnosed. I pre-bagged 3 days of meals and snacks (just in case we ran into weather) and kept the insulin in an insulated bag in the cooler(didn't want it to get too cold on the ice). The syringes and his snacks were in a bag of their own under the passenger seat. We also planned our stops every 3 hours for fuel and a short walk for Charlie. We also gave more in snacks ( a carrot and a bit of his jerky after each walk) as he wasn't sleeping as much as he normally did during the day.
                    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

I know he won't sleep much, if any, on the ride, so I might talk to the vet and ask about a little doggie Valium to help him relax. I know the last long car trip we took with him was before his diagnosis, and he was so freaked out, we had a hard time even getting him to tinkle outside the vehicle. (Don't ask. It's been a long time ago. ) Since then, we have taken short trips (four or five hours), and he has done a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksma View Post
                        I know he won't sleep much, if any, on the ride, so I might talk to the vet and ask about a little doggie Valium to help him relax. I know the last long car trip we took with him was before his diagnosis, and he was so freaked out, we had a hard time even getting him to tinkle outside the vehicle. (Don't ask. It's been a long time ago. ) Since then, we have taken short trips (four or five hours), and he has done a great job.
                        when we took our dog on a trip the vet told me to give him one bendyral and it would help him sleep...so that is an idea..
                        sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

I remember Patty had the most organized list in the history of the world!

I did a 15 hour trip with my 2 poodles over a year ago. I had insulin, syrup, and water in a small cooler. Pre-measured meals in another cooler. And loads of syringes and test strips.

My non-diabetic dog is annoying in the car. There were some type of drops Tammi had recommended we got off of Amazon that I think helped him. I'll look at lunch for the name.

I also bought a big doggy car seat with harnesses to attach to seat belts. That way frantic boy was right next to my shoulder and it seemed to keep him calm.

2 dogs are missing in Fargo from January. Their owners were in car accidents, dogs were thrown and spotted running away from the scene. Owners were taken to the hospital and by the time they got out they can't find their dogs. Gruesome I know but a good reminder.

Good luck! Our trip went surprisingly well. Jenny was fine getting tested and injected in the back of the car
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yes, Judi, that is what I am going to have to do with Rick. We will be leaving very early in the morning, well before his breakfast time, so I will have to feed and inject on the way. I imagine by the time we get to Texas, Ricky and I will both be a little ragged, but as long as he is good, I'm good.

Comment

Every time I traveled with Maggie, she seemed to enjoy it immensely but she would always run lower. The change in routine was very exciting, I guess. Happy Travels!
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                              X