• Show
Clear All

• best BG meter

which is the most accurate of the meters:
    ultra one touch
    glucopet
    relion

confused
    beau:large minipoodle 25 lbs finicky eater.....will eat 1 cup ziwipeak venison and fish, twice daily ,probiotics,dried venison treats and bison treats mixed in my food, otherwise not interested, still adjusting insulin levels..5 units twice a day, VetsulinDiag: 8/12/13; also takes rimadyl for OA in knees and hip from surgery for torn ACL

Re: best BG meter

LOL, yeah, confusing. I use the relion confirm instead of the relion prime. It uses less blood than the prime but the strips are about 20.00 for 50 instead 10 for 50 with the prime. I also use the Alphatrak 2 but the strips are expensive, about 60.00 for 50. Craig is the meter master!!! I'm sure he will come in
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the glucopet. I wonder if it is similar to the AlphaTrak 2...which is a glucometer specifically for dogs and cats.

I have heard good things about the One Touch Ultra, but I haven't used it.

I started with the ReliOn Prime. Very reasonably priced meter and strips. I took it to the vet with me and compared it to their lab test and it was off about 30 points. I just divide my Prime reading by .66 and it gives me the # that is probably closer to the lab test. Another member on this forum helped me to figure that out

I bought an AlphaTrak 2 a few weeks ago and did comparisons between the Prime and AT2. I found that the .66 conversion was still appropriate. I can use the prime for daily testing using the conversion rate and the AT2 for curves etc.

There will be others to give their insights. It can be confusing, but you are in the right place!! I've learned sooo much on this forum
      Emily & Elliot
      Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

Originally posted by beau View Post
        ultra one touch
        glucopet
        relion

confused
        thanks all...waiting on craig now
        beau:large minipoodle 25 lbs finicky eater.....will eat 1 cup ziwipeak venison and fish, twice daily ,probiotics,dried venison treats and bison treats mixed in my food, otherwise not interested, still adjusting insulin levels..5 units twice a day, VetsulinDiag: 8/12/13; also takes rimadyl for OA in knees and hip from surgery for torn ACL

Comment

ultra one touch
          glucopet
          relion

confused
          Just to add to your probable headache, you also might want to consider where you get the strips and how expensive they are.

A highly accurate dog meter like the AlphaTrak2 might not be as usable as the less accurate ReliOn Prime if you can't afford to test. Many here test 2-3 times a day, 7 days a week. Then there will be days you do a curve with 6-7 strips. AlphaTrak strips = $1 each, Prime strips = 18 cents each.

My personal method is to have both the AlphaTrak, and a cheap Relion Prime. Most testing with the Prime, but do a comparison from time-to-time against the AlphaTraks. Just my method.

If I didn't have either of these meters, I'd probably go with the One Touch Ultra2 that I gave you a link in your thread. In my opinion, the OTU seems to be "close enough" for our pups. OTU strips vary around 65 cents each.

Test strips, except the Walmart Relion strips, vary widely in price from place to place, and from sale to sale. I always spend time "shopping" online before I order test strips.

Craig
          Last edited by CraigM; 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I've had good luck with my one touch ultra. I've only compared it with the vet a couple of times

once, mine said 280 and their's said 330

second time her levels were lower and they were within 10 points.

But the one touch ultra takes a LOT of blood. that is the down side.
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
              I've had good luck with my one touch ultra. I've only compared it with the vet a couple of times

once, mine said 280 and their's said 330

second time her levels were lower and they were within 10 points.

But the one touch ultra takes a LOT of blood. that is the down side.
              Good point. I guess it depends where you test as to the size of the blood droplet you generally see. I'm one of the few that tests on the ear, and if I see a droplet, it will usually be big enough for the OTU. I think I had one wasted strip because of droplet size. I should have known better, and poked a second time.

I think my OTU read about 25-30 points below the AlphaTrak in the low 100s. Probably close enough just to go by the number on the meter, or add 25ish to the number on the display if above 100ish.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

My OTU tests within 10 of the vet's lab in the lower ranges. My vet has an alphatrack but has started using the OTU more because he is happy with the results. He has tested both meters against his lab and he thinks the OTU is just as good as the Alphatrack.

I buy the strips for mine on Ebay for about 40-50 cents each. Check the feedback of the seller and make sure the expiration dates are good and boxes are sealed. Bigger quantities usually cost less per strip.

If I had a younger dog and the $$, I would probably buy the Alpha but after almost six years of diabetes, I think we have done alright. I personally think you will be fine either way.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

so are you recommending the alpha track 2 as the best? if i can afford?
                  I do want the best and I will be testing for BG curves and probably daily a minimum of 1 or 2 times

Comment

ok so if i get the alpha track 2
                    and a relion that should be sufficient and the least expensive way to go...thanks so much for your help
                    I have not done any blood testing and i know we are off with the insulin
                    she has had 2 accidents in the house and is drinking way too much water....
                    vet had me drop her to 2 units...just not enough

Comment

If you can afford the AT2 and strips (the strips are what make it expensive) it might be a good way to go while you are getting Beau regulated because it is so accurate and you won't have to worry about converting Prime numbers. That being said....you would still be "safe" using a Prime while regulating as long as you check it against your vet's lab test (not their meter) so you will have a better idea of it's accuracy.

Check out American Diabetes Wholesale. I bought an AT2 starter kit there using promo code ALPHA2 for $60 recently. There are 2 kits posted...the code only works on the "cheaper" one. I've also found their AT2 strips to be the cheapest.

Good luck!! Elliot was just diagnosed in March...so I know how stressful all of this can be.

Fingers & Paws Crossed!!!! Emily
                      Emily & Elliot
                      Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

so are you recommending the alpha track 2 as the best? if i can afford?
                        I do want the best and I will be testing for BG curves and probably daily a minimum of 1 or 2 times
                        I am by no means the expert on these, but my limited experience is this...

I kept getting error messages on the Relion Prime and it aggravated me to the point that I thought it would be easier on Vinny (and me ) if I just used the AT2 that I bought. I know I'm spending more, but for a little peace of mind...

Craig did some testing with Freestyle test strips and Annie that he included in his thread...worth a read. The Freestyle strip are much cheaper.

Just my two cents!
                        Mel
                        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I am a big fan of the AT2 as well.... but not of the price of strips. But I find it worth my piece of mind that I have an accurate reading, not guessing, converting... etc.

If you do order from American Diabetes, they seem to be cheapest around. In additional, look online for additional discounts, sometimes $5 off an order, or perhaps $10 off an order (every little bit helps). If you order over $100 (which I am sad to say is easy to do), you do get free shipping.

The strips are the cheapest, and the coupon ALPHA2 only works for the meter that does not include the free vial of strips.

I haven't done side by side comparisons on the FSL strips yet, but may soon.

Barb
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

The ALPHA2 promo worked for me with cheaper kit and it did include 25 test strips. Those went quickly tho!!

I, also, have been using Freestyle Lite strips with the AlphaTrak2. I did comparisons between the AT2 strips and FSL strips and the numbers were close enough. I have a bottle of AT2 strips, but I'm using the FSL strips more often. I just bought the cheapest boxes I could find on Amazon...usually between $25-30 for 50 strips.

I have to give a shout out to Craig for all his help with my switch to AT2 and our "strategic dissection" of the comparison data...LOL!
                            Last edited by Emily; 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM.
                            Emily & Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Emily View Post
                              The ALPHA2 promo worked for me with cheaper kit and it did include 25 test strips. Those went quickly tho!!
                              Great, that they still come with vials. When I was looking for promo codes for American Diabetes, it saw that the promo code still worked, but they stated that it was with the kit that did not contain the vials..... Glad that you at least get some to try out.

So what is the difference between the Cheaper kit and the more expensive one?

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                              X