Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Abbie's Mom

Even after five years and thinking I could do this in my sleep, things still happen. Just as someone else said, giving a double shot would be more of a concern. Which I have done before... And forgot the shot more than once... And left the bottle on the counter for two days....and fed the dog the same meal twice.....and gave myself the shot.. And the list goes on. It is amazing Maggie has lived this long in fact. Live and learn - life happens to us all.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Even after five years and thinking I could do this in my sleep, things still happen. Just as someone else said, giving a double shot would be more of a concern. Which I have done before... And forgot the shot more than once... And left the bottle on the counter for two days....and fed the dog the same meal twice.....and gave myself the shot.. And the list goes on. It is amazing Maggie has lived this long in fact. Live and learn - life happens to us all.
OMG, this is too funny.

Elaine, it has only taken me about 2 years to start rolling with this disease a little better...mistakes and all.

Looking on the bright side, your husband give shots. My husband is great for cuddling with Ruby, but wants absolutely nothing to do with her disease.

Tara
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks Tara & Amy! I have been so uptight about Abbie's care since we found out her Dx. Amy you are making me feel better about this whole deal!(Funny! Funny! )Tara, I am grateful that he does the shots & feeding. I have great intentions but generally I am the scatter brained one. My hubby is really laid back about it, while I'm panicking. He has worked in the medical field for years. Lab & X-ray & he said this is not the end of the world. While I am thinking it is .
I know that real life comes up & bites us sometimes. Usually me, because I'm thinking I've get to get it perfect & arrive @ a perfect state (I do this unconsiously) & like others on this site have said it will never be completely regulated. Just the best it can be. My poor husband of almost 40 years has always taken (me) it all in stride
Elaine & Abbie - OBW-Abbie is doing just fine.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBIE'SMOM View Post
Help~! Any experience with "mess up's" with insulin/food? My hubby feeds our pups & gives Abbie her insulin each mealtime. - Wellllll-Tonight I got home from work @ 6:00Pm I see the insulin & syringe on the counter. I asked him if he had fed the dogs & Abb her insulin - He said yes & realized he was interrupted by the phone, sat down in Living Room, finished the call & totally forgot to give her the insulin. (totally not like him)He had had a very stressful day @ work. I was really upset. She was fed around 5:00 & No insulin until 6:00
We gave her the insulin 60 min after her food ???!!!! Any experience with what results this can bring??? So far she outwardly seems fine. I will do her BG to see how she is doing.
Any experience with this happening?
Worred Abbie's Mom
Elaine & Abbie
Welcome to the club!!! We've ALL done SOMETHING at one time or another to make us feel guilty and inept of taking care of our babies but they really are a little more resillant then we give them credit for!

Sandy
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 AM

I have done this. In the beginning, I used to keep a log on my phone (free diabetes app) and that helped but I've gotten out of that habit.
But here's a tip. If there's a doubt, I wouldn't give the insulin. I've had to grit my teeth and endure 12 hrs of knowing she's going high because I was more concerned about a double dose, which would be much worse than a missed dose. At least here you had all the clues that no shot was given.

It's like a fur shot. My vet internist said if the needle gets anywhere near the dog, don't redo the shot, even if you know you missed, because you don't know how much actually got in.

Anyway, we've all been there and we (and our dogs) have survived. (however, as i type this, a severe storm passing thru has Zoe convinced that none of us will survive. 69lbs of lap dog at the moment.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Relax.... I think we all have had this happen or something similar before.

In fact last weekend, after staining the deck, we were sitting enjoying a glass of wine, and I lost track of time.... It was 6:45... no eating no insulin. I am always like clock work right at 6;00, and so is Abby.... but I had given her a HK Beam (treat) and I am sure that took the edge off of my 'doggie' alarm clock... Abby.

I'm am sure it worked out...

Barb
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Founding Member

at least you know you are being too hard on yourself! that is the first step

I've done it too. I don't think an hour is a horrible time to be off any way. But we are not perfect.

My goal is a happy dog.

hang in there! Judi
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks everybody!! I have been doing BG on Abb all day. She is tired of it & so am I . I started out having problems getting any blood. Daily my hubby is up very early & feeds her around 4:45 A.M. I wanted to get a fasting # & could not get blood from her elbow.(Probably because I was still asleep.) Usually no problem. (after messing up 3 strips ) I ended up heating a pad in the microwave & putting it on her elbow. That helped. I don't have any success w/ ears/feet. (haven't tried near the base of her tail as I have heard some do.
Here are her #s (as you can tell I have gone overboard for the # of times. I did it every 2 hours.
4:35 AM - 35 (yikes!) I had trouble getting blood- freaked out when I saw this- Abbie (no low symptoms)
4:40 AM -309 (re-took) I am totally confused at this point-What in the world.
4:50 AM - Fed w/ 16U Insulin
6:45 AM - 237
8:48 AM - 95 !!!!!!!
8:49 AM - 95 (Retook couldn't believe)
10:43AM- 182
12:50PM- 177
2:48 PM - 232
4:54 PM- 273 *****
4:55 PM - Fed w/ 16U Insulin
6:50 PM - 209
9:32 PM - 170
*I quit at this point. I am going to re-take a fasting In AM & see what comes up. I don't know about the first two readings. Everything else is pretty consistent without any way off the wall reading - Accept the big drop 4 hours after her breakfast. It is looking much better.
She probably feels like a pin cushion. We pampered her today with bath, toenails, cleaned bed, collar. I think she was pretty worn out with the activity. She did HO000WL when the Tampa bay Rays made their home runs, & we cheered.
Any feedback on the #s They are definately better - just concerned about the first readings, the 1- 95 & the 1- over 250. I will be reporting this to Vet tomorrow.
Elaine & Abbie
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM

What time did you do the bath? Maggie drops like a rock after a bath and blow/dry. That may have affected those numbers.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Amy. Ali would drop significantly with a bath. Was that before the 95?

I'd be sure to include any activity she had and/or treats in your curve.

The first number might just not have errored out if it didn't have enough blood. Hard to know if the second try was accurate. I do know Jim's Spirit will show a higher number if Spirit has been sleeping. But he might get a much lower number after Spirit gets up and moves a bit.

Not bad numbers overall!