Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Zoe

I'm using the old AT. So, it compares rather well. I trust the numbers. She's been drinking more, peeing more.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 AM

Oh good! I just got my new AT 2 and it is nice to have the real deal. Awhile ago I had an old AT and was using FSL strips, but I think they either changed the strips or the meter was too old. I would have been questioning the reading even with AT strips. So I just got my new $60 (yay) AT a week ago.

Mostly I use the Prime meter in which case those 300s would have been in the 400s. Glad to hear she isn't any higher.

Tara
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 AM

Meters are weird sometimes. I tried using fsl strips in my AT but didnt like the readings. They were off. But the nova max is spot on for Zoe. Sometimes I think it varies dog to dog.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Expressing a little frustration right now. After raising to 15 units, Zoe threw a 188 - great number, right? Well, the last two tests (yesterday and today spot checks) were: 325 and 352. GRRRRR!!!! She's going in the WRONG direction. But, considering how flat her last curve was, I don't think she's rebounding.

The only thing I can think that might explain higher numbers is that she is currently having an allergic reaction to something - don't know what. But, she's itching like mad around her neck and head, poor thing, and I think that's freaking her out a bit. I bathed her yesterday morning, but that doesn't usually solve these sorts of reactions in her, sadly. If it did, I would bathe her all the time.

Here are the other options:

Food allergies, brought on by the cottage cheese I've been using to entice her to eat (stopped the cheese this am and gave her babyfood chicken); or by the cat vomit she ate the other day and possibly before that; or by the "greens" she eats in the yard when she thinks I'm not looking; or from my new roommate giving her food she shouldn't have?

Seasonal Allergies or some other environmental issue?

Completely Asymptomatic UTI? She's never been diagnosed with one, and shows 0 symptoms, but it's possible.

Fleas? - we had a wet April, and lots of grass growing, etc. It's possible she's got fleas, but I've seen no evidence of fleas on her. She does have a few bumps on her skin, but I've seen this before without fleas causing it. Blessedly, this house and my animals have been mostly flea free. Still, I'm probably going to treat her and the cats. (I actually already treated one of the cats, hoping he could turn into the flea magnet/killer for everyone else).

I'm so sorry for her right now because there's not much I can do. Her fur is really thick around her neck and I would need to dunk all of the skin into a bath of hydrocortizone spray to give her relief, and she doesn't like it when I try to spray her at all. So wish I could talk to her at moments like these: Zoe, this is good for you, and it will help the itching. Why are you itching in the first place? Do you really love me or not?

Just griping at the moment. Don't know that there's a solution without going to the vet - who would be guessing too.

I plan to do another curve on her soon.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Exclamation Re: Zoe

oh Cebe, feel so bad for you!!!! This can all be sooooo frustrating. Hang in there, you do so well with Zoe. Hope she smooths out and the itching stops....
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Founding Member

yes the pups that are wobblers can just make things unpredictable all the things you suggested can cause erratic blood sugar

jesse goes through bouts of needing more and less insulin

with less insulin its a next day low no warning and can go a week or longer in a lower range than poof back to a higher range

thats why for jesse it will always be an adjustment and short term thinking thats the reality i could just leave her alone and just keep her on a lower dose and accept the higher numbers at times but decided early on to be more proactive thats just the rout we decided to take dont know if its the best way to go thats just what we did

there are always options if your not satisfied but it can be allot of work for jesse its been years and still we move in different directions we all understand your frustration but it sounds like you have a happy pup that can be headstrong at times and thats ok just life
Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Cebe, Sorry to hear Zoe is having problems. That itching would be maddening. Know it is concerning her #s being in the 300s & not really knowing what is causing it. I know what you mean about talking to her & wishing she would reply. It sure would make life a lot simpler & fun too! Would love to know what my Abbie is thinking when I give her a green bean instead of a doggy biscuit,
Its like having a baby that can't talk.
Good luck, sending healing thoughts Zoe's way.
Elaine
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM

Thanks guys. I'd like to see if taking out the cottage cheese helps both the itching and the bg. But I wonder if I need to go back to humulin even though it will put a major strain on my budget...novolin seems to give flatter numbers but isn't working hard enough in my view.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I can attest to the itching causing some erratic numbers - when Maggie's allergies are at their worst, her numbers are up and down usually to the extreme. It is sad these babies not only have diabetes to contend with but these evil allergies on top of it.

Maggie has been better this week - last week was her worst in recent memory. She is pretty calm right now.

Do you give an antihistamine ? Maggie gets Zyrtec twice a day.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM

I don't give an antihistamine but I'm considering it. Will consult with vet about it.