Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Default Injection sites?

How much do you think injection site matters? What about angle of injection? My dog has had some really weird numbers lately and Iím wondering if I should try to change injection sites. She gets two injections at each feeding... Levemir and Novolin R. I do the R just below her shoulder a few inches from her spine and the Levemir kind of on her side a couple inches past her front leg. The exact spots can vary by a few inches from day to day Iím sure. Some days itís almost as if the insulin is barely making a dent and Iím wondering if it has anything to do with where or how Iím injecting. Iím never injecting in exactly the same spot. Some days her numbers are great and some days sheís still rising 7 hrs post injection.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Injection sites?

Its so hard to correlate any reason for wonky numbers . For jesse who has her share of wonky numbers over the years injection site would be low on the list for a reason but it cant hurt to try different areas as scar tissue can show up which may have an affect

I think for jesse ear problems can create higher sugar as her priority with wonky numbers usually i know when she starts itching and its time for a spray
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 PM

What do you do for ears? I just had an awful scary experience with meds for a yeast infection in Lucyís ears. Vet prescribed Entederm and she lost her hearing almost entirely. It started to come back about 4-5 days after I stopped the meds. Then maybe two weeks later I tried Zymox enzyme drops (no cortisone) and she lost her hearing again within 24 hrs. I couldnít believe it. Her hearing is back somewhat but by no means 100%. The vet said the yeast is pretty much gone, but Iím not even sure what I can do for them now if it gets worse. Vet said I could try a few drops of a mixture of 3 parts witch hazel and 1 part vinegar. he agrees no gel or ointment should be going in her ears again.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 AM
Founding Member

I use a combination of isopropyl alcohol and vinegar . I make it pretty strong because she has always had ear problems and this is the only thing that worked and it was easy . I put it in a spay bottle and give her a squirt if she is itching or her ears are red . Usually makes quick work of whats in there causing the problem
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 AM

Thanks! I guess what youíre doing is similar to what he recommended.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:36 AM

All my vets told me to make a saline solution, and add a few drops of pure apple cider vinegar.
I buy sterile saline nasal spray, spray it into a bottle, add the vinegar, and clean his ears once a week.
Cider vinegar is good to clear yeast.

As for injection sites, I agree with jessegirl, would be way low on my list as a reason for wonky numbers. I myself have been injecting for 30 years, 4 times a day, and the insulin does its job.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.