Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default Re: numbing cream

How much are you able to rotate injection sites?

I think you are using thin-needled syringes but will mention that just in case too. I've seen quite a few small dogs start to dislike injections from larger-needled syringes after a while.

When is he thrashing and biting?

Is it before you even put the needle in, as you pierce the skin, as you depress the plunger to deliver the insulin, as you remove the needle?

Natalie
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

chester gets all nuts when he is picked up to be put in postion for the shot . he knows already . I use a 1/2 inch needle and believe it is 30 guage.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

How about changing up his routine? Maybe inject him while he's on the floor or lying in your lap?

Some folks inject while they are eating so they are distracted. Or you can offer a reward after his injection so he looks forward to it.

Natalie
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

There are smaller needles. You can ask for 5/16", 31 gauge. You can get these with 1/2 unit markings as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh, I certainly can relate to your struggles with Chester! I have tried a number of different needles and finally settled on 31 gauge 5/16 as Patty suggested. I used longer needles in the beginning because Pip would "dance around" so much the needle would come out. However, I think the shorter needles are more comfortable for Pip.

Pip is very wild as well and what I do is put him on the counter with a plate of food in front of him! No food and he absolutely will not cooperate.

I break up two diabetic cookies, and roll his pills into a piece of low fat cheese. I have to hold him back and make him lie down before I let him eat. If he's standing he's too hard to control.

Once he lies down, I put the plate in front of him. As he's eating I inject. I have been doing this for 3 years and every time I give Pip his shot he stops eating and turns around to look at me. Just letting me know that he knows what I'm doing!

I have messed up shots in the beginning because it either took me too long to inject or I tented the skin too hard - or who knows? I had to learn what he would and would not tolerate. He didn't tolerate too much in the beginning and had to be muzzled.

The good news is that we both eventually figured it out! He can't bully me out of doing it and I have learned how to make the shot as painless as possible. You will too. It just takes practice. Make sure you warm up the insulin after you draw it up into the needle and place the bevel down.

These hyper, strong-willed little dogs are tough, but hopefully Chester is food motivated!

Actually I received lidocaine (which is a numbing cream) for testing but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Good luck!!!

Pam
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

I have to say that Fergy's an angel in this regard.

All I say is "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and his tail starts pumpin' and he jumps up on the stool, ready for action.

He loves the treat. We call 'em chocolates as that's what they look like. They're moist and mostly chicken and chicken parts. Small size approx. 1/2"x1/2"x1/4". Avail thru your vet or...http://www.bizrate.com/dog-supplies/...animal-supply/.

Cheers

Harry.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Harry, I saw the price on the "Lean Treats" but am confused about how many are in a package. Could you give me that information, please? (Thanks in advance!)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Default diabetes and cushings

Does diabetes and cushings go hand in hand ? Chester was checked 3 months ago for cushings and he didn't have it - but these last 3 days he has been drinking water like theres no tommarrow . He has an appointment tommarrow but would like to know what you all think .
Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLea View Post
Harry, I saw the price on the "Lean Treats" but am confused about how many are in a package. Could you give me that information, please? (Thanks in advance!)

Hi MaryLea,

Well, there's a pretty good number. I just opened a new bag 2 or 3 days ago. I counted what's left in the bag just now and have 30, so I would guess there were about 40 to start. Of course the packaging is by net weight so the count could vary.

Whether you get 'em thru the vet or shipping it'll be about $2.50 per bag. Not bad at all. Your pet will love 'em I'm sure.The cost of everything keeps goin' up. A couple years back I paid only a $1.75.

Look at the cost of cigarettes now. I'm sure glad I guit smokin' some 40 yrs. back.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks, Harry.

I would like to find something she likes, to use for treats especially when I test her BG (which neither of us likes) . Haven't gotten really good at it and she doesn't like to sit still for it.