Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Default Re: New user, just diagnosed. Greetings.

Hi Andy and welcome.

10 months post diabetes dx and numerous other medical problems, my little man Buddy is at the best he has been although we still have some challenges. I must however say that we now cherish every day that we have him with us and every day is a gift that we have come to appreciate more. The special care that we give Buddy daily has further cemented the bond that we had.

I just wished I had learned to test much sooner than I did. Once I did, I had so much more control over the situation, not to mention the fact that the costs went down. My vet also was not in favour of home testing.

You will find the members on this board have extensive knowledge or have experienced whatever situation you will encounter and they are more than willing to help and be supportive.

Good luck to you and Nanook

Louise
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Hi Andy:

I also love the picture of Nanook. She looks like she wants a hug from Grandma Pam (me)!

I wanted to quickly tell you that my dog Pip is hard to handle and did not like to cooperate with me in giving shots. That was three years ago....everytime I see him chase a squirrel, chase the flashlight across the floor, bark at the dogs across the street.... I KNOW I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING!

Natalie is right, they get used to it and you get to see something wonderful - everyday!!!! Diabetes is totally something you can control. It's one of the few things in life you can!

Keep reading here, I promise you will be astounded and glad you did.

Pam and Pip
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Welcome Andy.

I see you're in St. Louis. I was born and raised in North St. Louis; except for my military time I lived in the city & Florissant, then retired here to Florida.

I'm sure you'll do just fine in this program, as will Nanook.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Welcome Andy and Nanook,

Just wanting to throw in my 2 cents....

Mildred is just over her 6 year hump of being treated for her diabetes. She is a happy, healthy 12 year old pup, seems to get better as the years progress.
By the way she acts and looks one would never guess she is a diabetic (not knowing what one is suppose to look like ;-) ).

Diabetes is a disease that when treated properly is manageable.

Imagine my laughter and my vets sense of humor when he called to tell me that my cat, "only has diabetes"...this news came a few months after my dog was diagnosed. He was so right.

Learning to home test is a step that will be a tremendous help in their overall treatment as well as safety. I have no doubt that had I not learned to test Mildred on the day she was diagnosed with diabetes that she would not be with me now.
She's gotten so use to the procedures that she comes when called for either her injections or to be tested.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Last edited by eileen; 11-11-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Thank you all for the advice and for welcoming us to this forum. It is very reassuring to find this group of people and pets, and to get such a warm welcome.

So far we are doing well. Nanook doesn't seem to mind the shots, and I am getting better at administering them. I need to get a glucose tester and start testing her. I want to rely on my vet as little as possible, and be as proactive about her treatment as I can. How often should I test her glucose? And, what exactly do I do with that information once I get it? Should I start to chart her levels, and adjust her insulin as needed? I know that this is down-the-road thinking, as we are still in the very early stages of treatment.

Also, my vet was very careful to warn me of the dangers of low glucose. He said that Nanook would display unusual behavior, and that I should be aware of anything odd. Can you guys give me some examples of behaviors or characteristics that I should watch out for? I am sure that every dog is different, but some general things to watch for would really help. So far, she seems to be taking the insulin well. Her appetite has not increased much yet, but she does seem to be more relaxed. Her weight is down to 40 pounds. She was always steady around 50. She has lost a lot of muscle, especially in her back half.

When we got her initial blood work back, her glucose level was astronomically high - around 650. However, her ketone numbers were within normal range. The vet told me to continue feeding her the same diet that she had been on for now, but that we would probably change her dog food to something with higher fiber - before too long. I have been feeding her Purina One Senior Protection Formula for about 8 years now. She gets a Milkbone in the morning, and a Beggin' Strip when I come home from work. I have never allowed her to have any "people food" - although she loves to sneak a dive into the trash, and is always on the prowl for any crumbs that have hit the floor.

Again, I thank you all very much for helping us get through this. I hope to get to know you and your sweet pups in the weeks and months to come.

All the best,
Andy and Nanook

Last edited by louissaint; 11-11-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Left out some info.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Welcome welcome welcome!

I am THOROUGHLY impressed that you found this forum so soon after diagnosis! Let me tell you - everyone here is a Godsend! You will learn so much and they make it all easier.

Answers to your questions - only my recommendations - not law

1) Yes - keep a spreadsheet of doses and BG readings. Don't "chase" numbers on a daily basis (meaning - don't adjust insulin amounts daily). Adjust amounts only after doing a full curve and only after being on a stable amount of insulin for 7-10 days (my personal recommendation - every dog is different)

2) Low blood sugar is extremely dangerous. The first time it happened to Soaphie, if I hadn't known any better, I would have thought she was having a stroke. She was wandering around, head low, wobbly. She tends to notify me when she is going low and I can tell in an instant. Keep karo syrup on hand. Take it with you when you go on walks, in the car etc. Some activities raise blood sugar, some lower it - every dog is different. Walks tend to lower Soaphie's blood sugar.

Again - a BIG welcome to you! Soon this will all be "old hat" to you and you won't even know a life without canine diabetes! Most importantly - please ask alot of questions - we have all been through so much I'm sure there isn't a question you can ask that one of us doesn't have the answer to....

Tami & Soaphie-diggitydog
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Hello again everyone,

Thank you all very much for the support and advice. You have helped make the last few days much more bearable and given me more confidence in dealing with Nanook's treatment.

I tried to test Nanook's blood sugar last night, and it was a near disaster. I was not able to complete the test. She is a very fussy dog when it comes to sitting still, and being prodded around on. She is exactly the opposite of those well behaved cooperative doggies in the demonstration videos that Natalie sent me.

All of the places the videos suggested drawing a bead of blood from are exactly the places Nanook doesn't like being messed with - her mouth and feet especially. Is it possible to test from her ears? She loves having her ears rubbed, and I could probably get away with testing her on her ears. Any suggestions from anyone on how and where on her ear I might try?

Thank you all very much for the support.

Andy and Nanook
Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Does she have a callous on her elbow? I always tested my dog there and he never minded
Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Information on various signs of hypoglycemia:

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/hypoglycemia.htm

http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki/Hypoglycemia

These are from the main website's Links page:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/complinks.html
Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I believe Annie is one of the few on this forum that gets tested on the ear. I test just behind the front edge of her ear. I turn her ear over and use a small grooming shaver to remove most of the fur from the testing location. I then smear a very thin coat (very thin) of Vaseline to help the droplet "ball up". My wife use to test on the outside of the ear, but Annie looked funny with the shaved spot showing. LOL. I sometimes have to squeeze the area around the test site to get a decent sized droplet.

When I first started testing I sometimes had trouble, but now I get a droplet almost every try.