Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Former Member

Default Re: Silkies Diabetes Story Please Read !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I test twice a day every day before insulin shot. Sometimes if Ladybug is acting a little strange, I may test during mid afternoon. If you do your own curve, you start with the AM reading before insulin and continue every two hours throughout the day for a minimum of 12-14 hours.
Ok, got it! Thanks. But there is no way we would be able to test him more than once a day at this point. Silkie is acting
like we are performing surgery on him. He freaks out. Struggles, cries, tries to get away. I just cant put him through that!!
What are we not doing right?

Last edited by silkiegal; 12-02-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkiegal View Post
Ok, got it! Thanks. But there is no way we would be able to test him more than once a day at this point. Silkie is acting
like we are performing surgery on him. He freaks out. Struggles, cries, tries to get away. I just cant put him through that!!
What are we not doing right?

I'll jump in here but please bear in mind that I am relatively new with Fergy's diabetic care, but will offer a suggestion.

Fergy had two favorite "treats" before he was d/xd. One of those was the "Lean Treats" which we originally picked up at the Vet's office. He loves 'em. T'other "Pupperoni" was full of sugar so he don't get them no mo.

When we initially started his diabetes treatment we had the same problems you're now experiencing. Then I tried bribing him by telling him he would get a treat if he cooperated.The injections were not much of a problem but the BG testing was the major item.

At first I would say something like "let's try the shot and you'll get your treat" or "let's try the blood test and you'll get your treat", even if I failed to get a real blood test, he would still get the treat. After a week or so, it became a pretty smooth operation.

Now, I say either "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and he's right in front of me with the little stub awaggin' and ready to go.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM

I shaved a small patch of skin right above Bob's tail. It's the only place I've been able to get a sample every time, and the only place he's willing to let me poke him without resistance. I just rub a dab of neosporin on the patch when I'm done, to promote healing and keep the skin supple. He knows I'm done when he gets the neosporin massage, and he even seems to like that.

It looks kind of funny, and the vet laughed about it, but I don't care. I call it his "soul patch", and he's still the cutest thing in the world to me.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I'll jump in here but please bear in mind that I am relatively new with Fergy's diabetic care, but will offer a suggestion.

Fergy had two favorite "treats" before he was d/xd. One of those was the "Lean Treats" which we originally picked up at the Vet's office. He loves 'em. T'other "Pupperoni" was full of sugar so he don't get them no mo.

When we initially started his diabetes treatment we had the same problems you're now experiencing. Then I tried bribing him by telling him he would get a treat if he cooperated.The injections were not much of a problem but the BG testing was the major item.

At first I would say something like "let's try the shot and you'll get your treat" or "let's try the blood test and you'll get your treat", even if I failed to get a real blood test, he would still get the treat. After a week or so, it became a pretty smooth operation.

Now, I say either "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and he's right in front of me with the little stub awaggin' and ready to go.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers
Thanks, that is great advice. we give him his favorite treat (lean ground beef) and sing his praises after, but it is still a fight. Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm still new at this, too. The vet visit we had last Wednesday helped me alot. Ruffles had begun to snap at me, etc. which she never used to do b4 d/dx. He said to always approach her from behind her ears, near her shoulders. He demonstrated by putting one hand on her head (which is a good thing to keep her from raising it to snap at you), lifting her lip and with ballpoint pen in his other hand, came towards her mouth from the side. She snapped at the pen!

She had not reacted to anything the vet tech or DVM did until that moment(!), and after I thought about it, they always came from one side or the other, near her shoulders moving towards her head.

So I reverted to what worked for me: sit her beside me on the couch; give a small treat; place my arm across her body; approach from her ear towards her mouth (where she could not see what I was doing); lifting her lip; doing "the deed"; praising her; giving another small treat.

She knows when she hears the glucometer "beep" that another treat is coming shortly: she starts sniffing for it. Works like a charm!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

I just saw the pictures in your album. Too cute!!

How's it going?

Natalie
Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Former Member

Happy Holidays! Silkie has his first curve today. He is still not regulated. His highs were: 570 and lows: 423. Still WAY too high!!! vet said to increase from 3 units to 4 units, and to come in for a single glucose test in 7-14 days. Then, if he's still not down, she will increase to 5 units.
He lost a lot of weight too, and still pees a lot. Silk was just diagnosed about a month ago.

Is it possible that we are not getting the insulin in him???
How can we make sure?
How to know if it doesnt go in him?
His fur is very short, and it never feels wet after the shot.

He wiggles and moves and freaks out though....

Any ideas???
Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM

You would know if you didn't get the insulin in him - his hair would be wet.

Have patience and take it one step at a time.

Are you home testing?
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Former Member

Yeah, that is true..common sense I guess! My husband is so surprised that his levels are still so high, so he's paranoid.
We try to home test, but he just freaks out, squirms, cries, it is almost impossible, at this point. We will try again, but he's a nightmare with us!he wont hold still..
Oh, I am so sad over Ruffles! My throat literally closed when I heard he passed away. It makes me so worried now when I hear these stories. everytime I come to this forum, another dog passes. It is a hard reality. I wonder, are dog's with diabetes more prone to renal failure?
I must ask my therapist for more meds at this point! This is so stressful. I wish it was me instead of silkie.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Hi - I had so much trouble getting insulin into my Pip when he was first diagnosed that I finally had to muzzle him.

Other than the fur being wet or the smell of insulin on the fur (and it has a decidedly medicine smell) when I felt resistance to the plunge of the needle, I finally figured out that I was getting the insulin into muscle.

I was told that getting insulin into the muscle rather than just under the skin, that the bg's go down slower.

Perhaps someone can verify that?

I did finally get the hang of it and you will too. Although Pip has been a diabetic for 3 years, I still missed part of a shot last week due to his sudden movements.