Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Harry the wonder dog - An Angel 12.05.11

I have thought the same thing about jesse

what level of deterioration will i be able to let her go .

she has some serious problems. I decided after what she went through i did not want to put her through that again . medical intervention on our friends is difficult on there body mind and spirit they will do it for us they dont do it for themselves .

we do the same thing for are humane family where we cant let them go and they wont leave until we release them

the opportunity for harry to recover and be a healthy dog at his age with his immune disorders just was not going to happen you made the decision to not let him suffer anymore yes he would stay for you and the medical profession could probably prolong his suffering but you decided this was not the path anymore .

harry got to leave with dignity we cant do this for ourselves but we can give this to our fury friends

I hope i have the courage that you have had when that time comes for jesse and you have given me a template through your actions with harry on what i must do for jesse when her time comes . oh i will not be happy about it but i know it must be done .

you did make the wright decision and i commend you
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM

You all are right.
Harry's regular vet just pointed out that there is a difference between living and existing. What he was doing was merely existing at the end - it was his time. For such a proud dog, I could not let him lose his dignity. I could not be that selfish.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
You all are right.
Harry's regular vet just pointed out that there is a difference between living and existing. What he was doing was merely existing at the end - it was his time. For such a proud dog, I could not let him lose his dignity. I could not be that selfish.
Amen. If only we could be so humane to our humans!
Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
You all are right.
This is such a true statement....our pets depend on us to know when the "quality" from "quality of life" is gone. So many of my relatives have avoided the difficult decision of knowing WHEN to make this difficult decision for our pets.

4 years ago, my first newfoundland Sam was with us on vacation....I noticed a red spot on the white of his eye and took him to the vet. We got some eye drops and he sent us on our way. Two days later, he had a seizure outside our motorhome (he was not diabetic) In a matter of hours while making an appointment at the Jacksonville animal hospital he had two more seizures and they where bad lasting 3-4 minutes each. Once we got him there they gave him something for the seizure and kept him overnight to do some test and MRI ect.....It ended up that he had a mass on his brain, in his chest and in his stomach. Cancer was the verdict. The only thing they could do was to give us some extremely strong sedatives so we could drive him home. I just couldn't do that to my best friend, to make it more "convenient" for us, how could I delay what we knew had to be done..... so we sat under a tree at the animal hospital next to a beautiful pond, I got him a T-bone steak, surrounded him with his favorite toys and after an hour or so the vet came out and gave him the shot right there.....we said our goodbye's and held him in our arms as he drifted off. The pain was unbearable but that is part of the responsibility of pet ownership.

You ARE a great friend to Harry and did what you know in your heart had to be done for HIM not for you....stay strong and smile when you hear his name or remember him because you are among the few who knew your pet well enough and loved him so much to do what was right.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Last edited by jim maceri; 12-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Dear Yunhee

I read so much pain and anguish in your posts. The scenario that played in your house is somewhat similar to what was taking place in our house during the last few weeks/months of Buddy’s life. I grieved while watching Buddy deteriorate daily and my husband just could not accept that the end was near. I was traumatized by seeing all the blood in the snow when Buddy has a poop, my husband would shovel snow over it in complete denial. I have followed Harry’s thread from the beginning and asked myself on many occasions if I was showing the same emotional and financial commitment that you did. Because we are both retired, hubby would take the night shift and take Buddy out and reassure him. I would take the day shift while hubby recuperated from a lack a sleep. We were also both exhausted and sleep deprived. One night I woke up to Buddy crawling into my arms and I remember telling him softly that if he wanted to leave us, I would understand. I prayed my God to take my little man while in his sleep.

3 days before Buddy left us, Ron asked for yet another full blood panel and ironically, everything came back good yet, Buddy would no longer eat, want to go for his walk, accept any treats, paced, trembled. We were told by a few people that the trembling can be attributed to pain. The vet told us that Buddy <had so many holes to plug< and towards the end that because of all his medical problems<his organs were probably raw<.

Our life had completely changed and all of a sudden, we had all this time on our hands and we had to re-establish some normalcy in our new life, while making a commitment to Cleo who had most probably been deprived of our attention.

While grieving, many emotions surface. Sadness, anger, guilt, denial, bargaining, emotional chaos, acceptance and we went through all of them

We are still extremely sad and longing for Buddy and I am sad at the thought that this will be my first x-Mas in 10 years without my little man. I now know that we made the right decision, however tired and exhausted we were. I also find comfort in the fact that we gave him 10+ years more than he would have had, had we not taken him out of this nasty puppy mill.

Yunhee, please find comfort in the fact that you went way beyond in the love and care for Harry and your furry family. You have had a very traumatic year and you lost more than one fur baby. Do find the same compassion for yourself now as it is your turn to heal.

Louise (one of your many <virtual< friends)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't know that I can add anything more that hasn't already been said - everyone here is so eloquent in expressing their emotions toward "our Harry" (and you Yunhee).

I have lost two dogs - but I was much much younger (and older teen). It was different. All I can say is <insert whichever higher power you prefer> help me as it will be horrific when it does happen. My heart burns for all the babies here that have passed and I only know them "virtually", I dare say I can "imagine" what it feels like, but I know that I truly won't know until it happens.

We are here for you...

Tami, Soaphie and Syd
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Harry was really lucky because he was very very loved - not just by me, but by my husband, Amy and my parents as well as numerous vets and you.

My husband is also shattered by our loss - but he is trying hard to remain stoic and strong for me.

This morning, he went running on the trail favored by Harry. He sent an e-mail to me during his run with the last photo of Harry and me - and he instructed to put this on Harry's urn / box (He was a gentle soul and loyal friend). Since Monday, we were struggling to come up with the right inscription to put on his box - and while he mocked me for being corny, he was reflecting about it all along.

Harry was indeed a gentle soul. I remember when he accidentally caught a pigeon at a beach in Chicago. I took the pigeon out of his mouth and rushed it to a vet. The vet was surprised to discover that this poor pigeon was completely unharmed - once the creature recovered from the shock, he/she was able to fly off. He never got into a single fight - he was a pacifist.

He was always by my side during our adventures. He was a somewhat cautious / fearful dog. We were running on a trail in Mammoth one early spring day and ran into a bear. Both dogs took off and ran from the bear. Amy came back and alerted me to the bear (the bear was about 15 ft away from me - and I did not see it because it blended so well into forest), but then Amy has always been more brave than Harry. Harry eventually came back, and I know what courage it took for him to come back - he did it for me and Amy.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss of Harry. I read your earlier post doubting your decision, and I can understand that feeling. I felt it with Abby, but from what you described, Harry needed peace, and you gave that to him. You were a wonderful mother to him while he as alive and he was so lucky to have you.

Take care and get some rest. You have been through so much.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Oh Yunhee,

I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you and your family. Harry was very much loved and you were a wonderful mom.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

RIP sweet Harry.

With Heartfelt Sympathy,
Lori
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM

Doubting and second guessing is probably the one part of grieving you can guarantee when it's an animal that we put to sleep. There is always that 'what if' and that 'wonder what' and 'could have'...but you will drive yourself nuts if you do that. At the moment you made the decision...it was the right thing to do! Not the same one you may have made two days later or the one you might have made a week prior but at that time...it was the right one! And that's all you can expect of yourself, Yunhee...to know that you made the right decision...and the right one for Harry! Not yourself, not anyone else...but for Harry! Knowing what pain and doubt and grief you would experience yourself, you still made that terribly choice in order for Harry to be free...from pain and anxiety and fear.

It is never, never, never easy and we ALL doubt to one degree or another if we did the right thing. We all play the what if game. But in the end, Harry is now free of all the things that bound him to a painful existence here with us and is free to run and play and be a pup again! He is waiting for you and loves you and always will!

We cry with you, Yunhee! Hugs and care!